Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I assume you are NOT talking about celiac disease, but rather the others who are gluten-intolerant.

It's likely because people just suffered with stomach pain, diarrhea, bloating, etc., and did not know what was causing it. If you go to a gastroenterologist with those symptoms and they cannot find a cause, they label it "IBS", or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You've heard of THAT, I'm sure.

Some people found out accidentally or experimentally that eliminating wheat products from their diet made them feel better. One of them was a woman from one of those Survivor shows--I don't watch them, so I can't remember who or when it was, just read her interview. She loved bread and ate it all the time but always had digestive issues and never connected the two. On Survivor, she had no bread or pasta, but ate whatever they eat (I'm guessing they have to hunt and gather or eat bugs or whatever), and her symptoms suddenly stopped.
Yes, I was told I had IBS. Nope. Eliminating gluten took care of my symptoms.

I never had symptoms until after I had a baby. It was very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
If you can't pronounce everything on the label, don't eat it. Better yet, skip anything that has a label, period. Real food.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:29 AM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Yes, I was told I had IBS. Nope. Eliminating gluten took care of my symptoms.

I never had symptoms until after I had a baby. It was very weird.
I'm curious, did your doctor suggest you try a GF diet to address your symptoms?

My family member suffered with IBS for years until I read a research paper on gluten sensitivity over a decade ago, told him to try GF, and the diet worked with great success. He had been to several medical professionals who prescribed an anti-depressant and told him his symptoms were caused by depression or stress. Neither were the issue. His problem wasn't 'in his head' as he had been told repeatedly. It was physical.

The medical profession seems to use IBS as a catch all for any GI problem they can't find a reason for. Diet wasn't even on the list of possibilities they gave him to resolve it, sadly.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Every year we host a large Christmas party and over the past 3-4 years we've had to provide a lot of gluten-free foods because people would come and refuse to eat because it had gluten ingredients. My family is NOT gluten-free, so we have to spend the extra $$ to buy gluten-free bread crumbs, or gluten-free flour, or gluten-free ________. We have to plan our menu specifically choosing hors d'oeuvres that are gluten-free whenever possible (we usually end up with 7-8 GF things and another 7-8 that do have gluten just because they simply cannot be modified). Then when we pass out the food during the night we have to specify what's gluten-free and what is not.

Bear in mind, no one at our party suffers from celiac disease - they have just chosen to go gluten-free for whatever reason (including weight loss for some).

It's a bit of a hassle mainly due to the expense of the gluten-free products we have to buy for this one-time only event each year. Then we're stuck with GF ingredients in our pantry that we never use because they are not our first choice when cooking/baking.
Wow, you really went OTT. If I was having GF-people to my home for a meal, I'd advise them to bring food that's safe for them to eat. I'm not GF and I have no idea what they will/won't eat. I'd maybe put out a vegetable tray or something. Maybe a bag of gluten-free pretzels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm curious, did your doctor suggest you try a GF diet to address your symptoms?

My family member suffered with IBS for years until I read a research paper on gluten sensitivity over a decade ago, told him to try GF, and the diet worked with great success. He had been to several medical professionals who prescribed an anti-depressant and told him his symptoms were caused by depression or stress. Neither were the issue. His problem wasn't 'in his head' as he had been told repeatedly. It was physical.

The medical profession seems to use IBS as a catch all for any GI problem they can't find a reason for. Diet wasn't even on the list of possibilities they gave him to resolve it, sadly.

I have IBS, GF didn't work for me. (Tried it 3-4 years ago for a few months.)

Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,022 times
Same here. I went GF for 6 months and at first I felt better, but the IBS symptoms crept back up a couple of months into it. For me, dairy and chocolate cause IBS flare-ups; as long as I stay away from them, I'm fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Old 12-29-2014, 01:18 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
Quote:
The good news is strict GF diet usually works in a week or less if it is going to work in our limited experience with others we have shared our experience. The bad news is it doesn't work for everyone with IBS. Our experience is anecdotal.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 12-29-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
For the record, I've changed my opinion on the gluten free labeling. If people who get sick from wheat products are finding it helpful to have the labels, then that's good. I used to think the labels were insulting to the intelligence of people seeing gluten free labels on a bag of apples or a box of eggs, but with the amount of fillers these days - I guess you don't always know.

If people tell me that something makes them sick when they eat it, I'm inclined to believe them .
Apples that are not organic are often coated with soy.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

I went on an elimination diet after going to a new doctor. I had multiple huge migraine clusters per week, throwing up, and other GI issues.

I was repeatedly told it was stress related, hormone related, repeated food poisoning ( I had to stop using an island chopping block), and then IBS. Nothing helped until I went on an elimination diet, which was a pain but totally worth it.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Wow, you really went OTT. If I was having GF-people to my home for a meal, I'd advise them to bring food that's safe for them to eat. I'm not GF and I have no idea what they will/won't eat. I'd maybe put out a vegetable tray or something. Maybe a bag of gluten-free pretzels.

I doubt it works if you really have IBS. It's only if you are misdiagnosed.

To the other poster: Don't worry about gluten free food for guests. Just have a veggie tray and maybe some fruit. Chances are they won't eat anything that's not always 100% gluten free. They may even bring a dish themselves. ( that's what I do)

Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I doubt it works if you really have IBS. It's only if you are misdiagnosed.

To the other poster: Don't worry about gluten free food for guests. Just have a veggie tray and maybe some fruit. Chances are they won't eat anything that's not always 100% gluten free. They may even bring a dish themselves. ( that's what I do)
IBS is mostly a diagnosis of exclusion. It's Latin for "well, it's not cancer or Crohn's, go away now please'.

Quote:
Rome criteria. According to these criteria, you must have certain signs and symptoms before a doctor diagnoses irritable bowel syndrome. The most important are abdominal pain and discomfort lasting at least three days a month in the last three months, associated with two or more of following: improvement with defecation, altered frequency of stool or altered consistency of stool.

Manning criteria. These criteria focus on pain relieved by defecation, having incomplete bowel movements, mucus in the stool and changes in stool consistency. The more symptoms present, the greater the likelihood of IBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events