Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 01:48 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I would think that the other poster would be able to recognized a thickened soup as opposed to a broth soup.
I am the poster. I am NOT gluten-intolerant, as mentioned, but noticed because my daughter is. It's the French Onion Soup from the chain Au Bon Pain that I was referring to. They label everything, provide calories, etc.

And NO, you would not look at it and say, "Gee willigers, that's a thickened soup." It looks like beef broth with onions in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 02:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
For the record, I've changed my opinion on the gluten free labeling. If people who get sick from wheat products are finding it helpful to have the labels, then that's good. I used to think the labels were insulting to the intelligence of people seeing gluten free labels on a bag of apples or a box of eggs, but with the amount of fillers these days - I guess you don't always know.

If people tell me that something makes them sick when they eat it, I'm inclined to believe them .

Old 12-29-2014, 02:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
How come we never heard of this before if this is such a disease?

Old 12-29-2014, 03:03 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I first heard of celiac in 1991. A co-workers hubby had it. He almost died.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
For whatever reason there are many more people today with food allergies.
We're doing something to ourselves that certainly isn't good in the long run.

First world countries have a larger percentage of those with food allergies than third world countries.
Ponder that one.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Do you mean those milk products that we find on the shelves here (non-refrigerated) that have a long shelf life? No. This stuff was fresh. Fresh yogurts, fresh milks, fresh ice creams, fresh butters. When my ex had those in Europe he was fine. In the USA he was told he was lactose intolerant.
There's no lactose in butter and hard cheeses in the US, either. I would examine the rest of his diet to find what he's really reacting to.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Because you don't pay much attntion to the world around you? Gluten intolerance has been known since antiquity, but they only realised the cause during bread shortages in WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Berolli Plus is made from something more high protein, and it's not half bad.

Nobody should have to give up spaghetti.

Spaghetti squash is pretty good as well.
You're proving the point of this thread. That pasta is flour pasta just like normal, with added stuff (Gluen containing/contaminated ingredients bolded).

Semolina , Grain and Legume Flour Blend ( Lentils , Peas Chick , Eggs Whites , Spelt , Barley , Flax Seed , Oats Fiber , Oats ) , Durum Flour ,

Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I assume you are NOT talking about celiac disease, but rather the others who are gluten-intolerant.

It's likely because people just suffered with stomach pain, diarrhea, bloating, etc., and did not know what was causing it. If you go to a gastroenterologist with those symptoms and they cannot find a cause, they label it "IBS", or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You've heard of THAT, I'm sure.

Some people found out accidentally or experimentally that eliminating wheat products from their diet made them feel better. One of them was a woman from one of those Survivor shows--I don't watch them, so I can't remember who or when it was, just read her interview. She loved bread and ate it all the time but always had digestive issues and never connected the two. On Survivor, she had no bread or pasta, but ate whatever they eat (I'm guessing they have to hunt and gather or eat bugs or whatever), and her symptoms suddenly stopped.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I assume you are NOT talking about celiac disease, but rather the others who are gluten-intolerant.

It's likely because people just suffered with stomach pain, diarrhea, bloating, etc., and did not know what was causing it. If you go to a gastroenterologist with those symptoms and they cannot find a cause, they label it "IBS", or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You've heard of THAT, I'm sure.

Some people found out accidentally or experimentally that eliminating wheat products from their diet made them feel better. One of them was a woman from one of those Survivor shows--I don't watch them, so I can't remember who or when it was, just read her interview. She loved bread and ate it all the time but always had digestive issues and never connected the two. On Survivor, she had no bread or pasta, but ate whatever they eat (I'm guessing they have to hunt and gather or eat bugs or whatever), and her symptoms suddenly stopped.
Just like so many fewer babies have colic now that we know to look at diet.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:25 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

That's pretty much what happened to me. I've always had minor issues, bloating, stomach gurgling etc. I discovered some accidentally - for awhile I had been drinking a lot of yogurt drinks and they really caused gas. Then when I eliminated grains, corn, processed food and sugar a year ago, and added it back in, I started to realize what caused stomach gurgling and bloating. Unfortunately once you eliminate that stuff, your body starts to heal and putting it back in usually causes a worse reaction (in my case I had itchy skin every time I ate bread after eliminating it).

For some reason the long term effects seem to cause inflammation and other annoying issues but in most cases the issues aren't enough to hurt you too badly. But they do make a difference.

What does it hurt to try? Seriously, read ingredients and see how much junk they put in what you consider regular food these days. Then switch to real food with no additives for a month or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events