Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times

Advertisements

People have gone nuts because this guys old work truck, that he sold, ends up in a photo equipped with an anti-aircraft gun tweeted by a Terrorist group.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/texas-plumber-ford-truck-ends-terrorists-133033518.html

When Texas plumber Mark Oberholtzer traded in his black Ford F-250 pickup truck, he expected it would live a second life in the hands of new owners, but probably not these owners.
Oberholtzer’s Texas City plumbing company, Mark-1 Plumbing, has been inundated with threats after a photo of his old Ford work truck appeared on a terrorist Twitter feed, equipped with an anti-aircraft gun in the bed and still bearing the company logo on the door.

How can people be any more fanatical than to pick on this poor guy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,830,607 times
I'm sorry, but anyone who harassed this company must be brain-dead. Seriously. If you see a photo from a war-zone in Asia, and there's a truck from a plumbing company in Texas in the image, and you actually conclude that the plumbing company is actively supporting one or the other of the combatants by sending them a truck, then you are dumb as a post.

Quote:
The Texas City, Texas, plumbing company owner is suing a Ford dealership for more than $1 million in financial losses and damages to his company's reputation after a pickup truck he once owned ended up with Islamic militants fighting in Syria's civil war.

A photo of the truck, with his Mark-1 Plumbing decals still attached, went viral, leading to thousands of harassing phone calls.

"By the end of the day, Mark-1's office, Mark-1's business phone, and Mark's personal cell had received over 1,000 phone calls from around the nation," Oberholzer's lawyer wrote in the lawsuit, filed December 9 in Harris County, Texas. "These phone calls were in large part harassing and contained countless threats of violence, property harm, injury and even death."
Plumber sues auctioneer after truck shown with terrorists - CNN.com

Old 12-14-2015, 06:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,085,863 times
I feel so bad for him, dealing with this even a year after the actual event happened.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Bet he unletters his next trade in though!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:44 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,282,581 times
This is in no way meant to blame the original owner in any way, however I do wonder why he did not get rid of his companies logo before he gave his truck away. I mean, of course no-one would expect it to turn up in those circumstances but even with any new owner (provided he/she/they would not remove the logo as well) this could always lead to some confusion. Or to put it differently, if I would be a business owner I would not want something which points to my business in some strangers hands.

In any case the morons who attack the plumbing company now are of course ridiculous.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,085,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
This is in no way meant to blame the original owner in any way, however I do wonder why he did not get rid of his companies logo before he gave his truck away. I mean, of course no-one would expect it to turn up in those circumstances but even with any new owner (provided he/she/they would not remove the logo as well) this could always lead to some confusion. Or to put it differently, if I would be a business owner I would not want something which points to my business in some strangers hands.

In any case the morons who attack the plumbing company now are of course ridiculous.
I read the CNN article and apparently when he was selling the truck, the Ford dealership said removing the letters would damage the paint and didn't let him or advised him not to remove the letters.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,282,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I read the CNN article and apparently when he was selling the truck, the Ford dealership said removing the letters would damage the paint and didn't let him or advised him not to remove the letters.

I see. But still that would leave me uneasy. In that case I probably would have painted over it.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:11 PM

23,745 posts, read 12,631,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Yep. According to his suit against the dealership the dealership told him not to remove the decals, that they would remove the decals before it was sold.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:14 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,733,202 times
Someone posted a comment on how to turns lemons into lemonade. He suggested the company use it as advertisement with the following caption ...

WE'LL BLOW THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR CLOGGED TOILET!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,451,165 times
Look how much 20/20 hindsight we are witnessing here. I can't help but wonder if this is somehow related to the 'cash for clunkers' situation.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events