Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
There are always skeptics among us. Could it be staged, of course it could be. Bernie Madoff had no problem getting some very smart people to hand their fortunes over to him, right?

I do not give money to beggers.

However, I'll take that warm fuzzy feeling I get when I help someone who didn't ask for it.
Uh-oh... I assume this is the same video mentioned in the OP.

Eyewitness Says Viral Video of Homeless Man Was Staged

But now a nursing student from Anaheim has come forward to say there’s no way Thomas could have been secretly filmed—because he and Lin arrived at the liquor store in the same car. “The whole thing is b---s---,” says Taugan Tan Kadalim, who claims that on Dec. 20 he was outside the Euclid Liquor & Market, where the video’s pivotal scene is set. “Thomas knew he was being followed.”

The 26-year-old says he stopped at the store to buy a lottery ticket before picking up his girlfriend, who lives in an apartment complex directly across the street. As he was walking out of the liquor store, Kadalim says he spotted Lin sitting in the driver’s seat of a nearby vehicle and recognized him immediately from his previous prank videos. “I was like, ‘Oh my God, it’s him,” says Kadalim, adding that he subscribed to Lin’s YouTube channel. “I couldn’t believe it.”

A cameraman sat in the passenger seat of Lin’s car, and behind him was the man who Kadalim would later recognize as Thomas, the homeless Samaritan Lin claims was secretly followed with a hidden camera. Thinking the three men were about shoot a prank video, Kadalim decided to stick around and watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 06:55 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Over Hoax Claims, Homeless Man and YouTuber Insist Their Viral Video Is Genuine | NBC Southern California

I suspected from my first sniff. A little disappointing. It's nice to think of someone who gets a nice chunk of money as seeing it as a golden opportunity to help his friends and other down and outers.

I would like to see a larger sample and obviously less collusion (though secretly filming a bunch of people sounds pretty bad).

Where does this leave people who have contributed feeling?

Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,429 times
I believe this is a case of a known youtube prankster manipulating this guy for his own gradification!

Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
And your first sentence is the key. When you help others because it is intrinsic to do so , it's a very different thing than signing a check for public accolades.
That's exactly right! Even if you are religious and take the Bible literally, it say's "you can't get to God through good works"

I find it quite distasteful when I see massive events costing millions to put on the event, and then the stars who threw themselves the party boast how they raised $300k for the homeless.

Why not just send the cost of the event instead? Because their need for recognition outweighs the people they throw these events for.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,313,002 times
Video is obviously fake/staged. Why on earth would a homeless man spend ALL of his money to feed other homeless people?? lol it makes no sense, first thing he would ACTUALLY do is hit a Mcdonalds or street corner. I have lived with A lOT of homeless people and they are homeless for a reason. I'm sorry but on the outside they will act like nice people with bad luck but its a lot deeper than that. I have lived in shelters and it has changed my perception of homeless people forever. They are moochers..three meals a day,showers,medicine, and all they have to do is show up. They are not grateful they just take,take,take and almost always tend to have anger issues. You'd be surprised at how many homeless people go out and beg all day only to go to a shelter at night for a free meal (the food is really good actually) and bed..its crazy. There is maybe 1-2 out of dozens that are truly just in a bad situation but for the others its drugs,alcohol, etc. I honestly think people try to help the homeless to make themselves look good or feel better about themselves when in reality these "homeless" people are getting fed,medicated,laundry done..for practically nothing. I would almost go so far as to say I will never volunteer for another "charity" drive or anything again because that's how eye opening my experience has been. Be very careful who you help or willingly give out money too...its not always what it seems and I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Last edited by Mr.2089; 01-06-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 11:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
I can't truly say this was staged or not.

but in a larger sense, this video should make us aware of the issue with homeless.

I know that many have drug alcohol issues. I'd be way more likely to help someone who had a sign reading "I need propane bottles" or "I need batteries" or what ever was a ACTUAL need. I know that the homeless (In some cases) get food stamps. but they don't have the means to cook food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events