Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Where did this event take place?
Where is this day a Federal Holiday and listed as what?
It took place in NYC. The most diverse city in America. Which is why you cannot make assumptions about your passengers. You already admitted your ignorance. There's no point your views without knowledge of the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post

Well, then...

So let's study "offended"...obviously no insult was intended, and no harm could have resulted in a physical sense. So...what does it mean to "be offended" in this case? I think, if we are to delve into that, we will find a 2 year old "I want everyone to pander to me. Meeeee. Meeeee!!!!" mentality. And what happened? A tantrum. Sad really, and I don't pander much, so maybe I shouldn't work on an airline...and if you tell me that...that's ok. I won't be offended
Your interpretation of "offended" is cursory at best. So inaccurate that the best response is to simply call it wrong. You should read Abraham Maslow's work on being offended and the psychology and behavior arounded. Specifically the work he published out of Cornell. If possible, you might learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,003,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And that is probably the thought process this passenger had. Which is insane, frankly. Obviously, you suffer from

and "it's no one's fault but... [your]... own and maybe... [your]... parents for raising an easily ruffled little *****.

But, hey, it's your words. And this is the reason why things like this happen. You and the passenger need some professional help.
I never said it would offend me, just that I'd voice my opinion and move on. I'm not particularly stressed about how I voice it most of the time, and it don't have a tantrum when I do. There is quite a difference.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It took place in NYC. The most diverse city in America. Which is why you cannot make assumptions about your passengers. You already admitted your ignorance. There's no point your views without knowledge of the topic.

Your interpretation of "offended" is cursory at best. So inaccurate that the best response is to simply call it wrong. You should read Abraham Maslow's work on being offended and the psychology and behavior arounded. Specifically the work he published out of Cornell. If possible, you might learn something.
It sounds like a good read actually. I might have to look it up. Thanks!

Really though, I'm not too worried about being PC or "neutral" in a broad sense. But I bet you gathered that. Still, it sounds like an interesting read.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Read my previous posts. Flight attendants are supposed accommodate everyone and saying something like "Happy Diwali" or "Happy Hanukkah" is just not doing so.
Non-sense. She can say what her employer allows; plain and simple. Doesn't matter what you or I think at all.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:03 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Non-sense. She can say what her employer allows; plain and simple. Doesn't matter what you or I think at all.
You're full of it. You can't just ignore the guidelines within the Flight Attendance Certification. What airline do you work for that says you can do whatever you want and just ignore FAA Notice N 8400.64? You're right... it doesn't matter what you think. But that doesn't mean that she can break rules.... whether or not they are specified by the employer. These flight attendants have to abide by the FAA as well.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But the guidelines set forth by the FAA should be ignored just because it doesn't matter what you think?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You're full of it. You can't just ignore the guidelines within the Flight Attendance Certification. What airline do you work for that says you can do whatever you want and just ignore FAA Notice N 8400.64? You're right... it doesn't matter what you think. But that doesn't mean that she can break rules.... whether or not they are specified by the employer. These flight attendants have to abide by the FAA as well.
This is very true. Once again laws regarding PC. Of course I'm sure it has valid points in it, but by and large our society is full of ppeople who think you should slit your throat so you don't offend someone by breathing the air they planned on breathing.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:53 AM

456 posts, read 835,017 times
You know what, this American Airlines is anti-Semitic, not going to fly with them anymore. How dare they say 'Merry Christmas', incredulous bastards.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 AM

5,797 posts, read 5,126,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if it's a city forum member

Oh wait, it's because we should all be cognizant of others religious backgrounds and all right?

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/plane-p...144235462.html
It's amazing how ridiculous the world has become. Instead of being offended by a well wishing person, why can't this person be more evolved and simply appreciate the fact that someone is wishing him well? If a Jewish person wished me a happy Hannukka, I would be flattered and elated to receive his well wishes. If a Chinese person wish me a "Gong Xi Fa Tzai" in February (Lunar New Year), I would bow deeply and thank him for his well wishes too. It's just so stupid that, as we become more PC, we becomes so much less tolerant, compassionate and understanding of our own humanity toward each other. Why are we becoming so angry?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It's amazing how ridiculous the world has become. Instead of being offended by a well wishing person, why can't this person be more evolved and simply appreciate the fact that someone is wishing him well? If a Jewish person wished me a happy Hannukka, I would be flattered and elated to receive his well wishes. If a Chinese person wish me a "Gong Xi Fa Tzai" in February (Lunar New Year), I would bow deeply and thank him for his well wishes too. It's just so stupid that, as we become more PC, we becomes so much less tolerant, compassionate and understanding of our own humanity toward each other. Why are we becoming so angry?
Why? Because the media leads people to think someone is going to care if their feelings are hurt, and frivolous lawsuits fulfill that just often enough to keep some people playing the butthurt lotto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events