Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:55 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,456,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That's not always true. I'm pretty miserable right now , and I do not wish that on others .
Sorry to hear that. But wouldn't you agree that some people tend to project their unhappiness onto others around them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:03 PM

7,740 posts, read 12,678,503 times
It's amazing how people bring Christianity into this when it's clear that the passenger kicked off was some pressed and bitter atheist.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,191,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Sorry to hear that. But wouldn't you agree that some people tend to project their unhappiness onto others around them?
Yes, and no. My views on this are rather nuanced, and would take up a lot of space.

On topic: this person was an insufferable asshat, and I would have also been glad when that person was ejected from the plane.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:38 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,307,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's amazing how people bring Christianity into this when it's clear that the passenger kicked off was some pressed and bitter atheist.
We brought Christianity into this because of my example of a bitter Christian. The attitude isn't limited to atheists.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 PM

33,605 posts, read 18,266,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Wow! I think I would have said "Christ wouldn't like your behavior right now" with a big smile of course...

I do have say after moving to Texas, everyone here says Merry Christmas. We moved from a town that banned Christmas and Halloween from schools to be overly PC. It's different for sure. But everyone says it with a smile!
If someone said Happy Holidays to me.. I simply say . Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:27 PM

17,692 posts, read 17,918,883 times
Wonder if the douche was traveling to spend time with the family for Christmas?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,406,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
They are amalgamated. The Evergreen tree is of pagan origin, the gifts can be argued to symbolize the Magi's gifts, and so on. All of Christianity is simply an amalgamation of pagan tradition and beliefs.
You're conflating all sorts of stuff, and can say the same of any religion or belief system.

Every religion takes customs from the belief system which preceded it. That doesn't mean that Christmas is a "pagan" holiday. Yes, obviously elements of the current Christmas celebration have pre-Christian antecedents , like the "Christmas tree". But obviously Christmas is a fully Christian holiday.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,252,215 times
If there's any day appropriate to say "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" it would be on Christmas Day itself. Perhaps the attendant should have taken the better route and just said "Happy Holidays" and it was a mistake on her part. But there's no reason for the passenger to act like a 5 year old just because the flight attendant made a little mistake.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,456,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If there's any day appropriate to say "Merry Christmas" over "Happy Holidays" it would be on Christmas Day itself. Perhaps the attendant should have taken the better route and just said "Happy Holidays" and it was a mistake on her part. But there's no reason for the passenger to act like a 5 year old just because the flight attendant made a little mistake.
I wouldn't consider wishing someone a 'Merry Christmas' a mistake, regardless of what day it was. The attendants only 'error' was not recognizing that she was talking to a self-centered fool.... which can happen to anyone.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,015,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're conflating all sorts of stuff, and can say the same of any religion or belief system.

Every religion takes customs from the belief system which preceded it. That doesn't mean that Christmas is a "pagan" holiday. Yes, obviously elements of the current Christmas celebration have pre-Christian antecedents , like the "Christmas tree". But obviously Christmas is a fully Christian holiday.
It depends on how you view it. Most Christmas traditions, easter traditions, etc. Are adaptations from pagan traditions. You can write of course about the spirit in which they are observed defining them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events