Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:07 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
As much as I despise Christianity, I'm never offended when a Christian says something like this. They're not "forcing" anything on me; they're sharing something with me, expressing a kindhearted and compassionate sentiment in a way that they find deeply meaningful.

I can take it or leave it. Their saying something like this has not harmed me or diminished my life in any way, shape, or form, not even for a millisecond. I'm flattered, honored, and grateful for the gesture, even if (in and of itself) it has no meaning to me - because it means something very important to them, and that has a great deal of meaning to me.

Whomever complained about this ought to be ashamed of themselves. How mean-spirited can you get?
True. Also, I think I made a typo in my first post. I don't think I remember Sam at his very first store. He might have ten or twenty stores at the time.. but he was managing the store. (I'd actually have to do the research on how many stores were open at that time) But he already had a general office, so it could have been more than 10-20. He was probably AT that store the day I met him ( when I was a kid) and put his "manager" name tag on his shirt that day.

Okay- so I looked it up. He had at least 125/150 stores at that time. So, I have watched Wal-mart go from 125/150 stores to what it is today. I also bet you that this door greeter hasn't been with Wal-mart quite that long ( okay.. so I'll give him the benefit-of-the-doubt)

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 02-03-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 AM

240 posts, read 252,251 times
It's a good thing he didn't say "God bless you". He might have been hanged on the spot!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
Quote:
As much as I despise Christianity, I'm never offended when a Christian says something like this. They're not "forcing" anything on me; they're sharing something with me, expressing a kindhearted and compassionate sentiment in a way that they find deeply meaningful.

I can take it or leave it. Their saying something like this has not harmed me or diminished my life in any way, shape, or form, not even for a millisecond. I'm flattered, honored, and grateful for the gesture, even if (in and of itself) it has no meaning to me - because it means something very important to them, and that has a great deal of meaning to me.

Whomever complained about this ought to be ashamed of themselves. How mean-spirited can you get?
I feel similarly.. though I do not say that myself, I do not mind hearing it, being harmless well-wishing, just smiling and saying "the same to you" or "Have a good day, yourself". It's not like those creating an opportunity to share their beliefs or pulling one aside to hand out a pamphlet.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:00 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
Did anyone even ask what the greeter meant by "blessed".
You're in Georgia, for God's sake!

(this seems to be in the same category imo as saying "honey" in any other state than Oklahoma.
I thought it was that states official state greeting.
Isn't it on their flag?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:

I agree with this. It is a warm greeting. Nothing harmful intended.

But this man as door-greeter is a representative of a public business. And no business wants to offend any customer (whether intentional or not). Businesses must be hypervigilant in todays world to be accepting of every possible belief.

It's sad that society has become so hypersensitive.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 AM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It wouldn't offend me but I think it's inappropriate. The guy shouldn't be saying it to the customers. Some people have to be told when they are intruding their belief systems on others. He probably didn't even think about it. He can just as easily say "have a nice day," or "have a good day" if he wants to wish someone well.
WHAT????? Okay you are seriously screwed up if you think that this man is "intruding on your belief system".

Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I will take the other side of the argument, and let's dissect what the greeter was really saying. Instead of just saying goodbye, he/she was interjecting God into their message. "Blessed", to me, means Blessed by God, and I do find it somewhat of a put off when someone says "Have a blessed day" to me as well.

I think businesses have the right to ask their employees to act and speak in ways consistent with what the company thinks and wants. A customer, who is spending money at WM, found it offensive, and Walmart responded.

Imagine for a moment if the greeter said "May Allah be with you!". We could defend that by saying they were simply being nice, but it goes deeper than that.

Don

Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,259 times
I think "blessed" is a word that if you're Christian could have one connotation and if you're not can just mean happy or pleasant. I can't see getting all bent out of shape about it. I was annoyed last time I went into Walmart however when I bought a $2 item and the greeter asked to see my receipt on my way out of the store. If you want to assume I am a shoplifter, maybe I won't shop in your store.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 AM

242 posts, read 413,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHAT????? Okay you are seriously screwed up if you think that this man is "intruding on your belief system".
Ah.....I wonder if these same folks would say "what's is the problem?" if the greeter said

"As-salamu alaykum" ??? instead of "Have a Blessed Day"??

Kinda like prayer in school....what the Christains mean is "our prayer...to the one and only Christian "God" ....not their "God"

Honestly....when you look at the goods sold there... the greeting at Wal Mart really should be in Chinese, don't ya think?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:49 AM

939 posts, read 795,234 times
I suspect the man is a Christian. Christianity is offensive to the world- always has been and always will be. As a Born Again Believer, I support the man. Why would anyone possibly be offended by "have a blessed day!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events