Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Next they'll be firing people for saying "Have a NICE day"... somebody who doesn't believe in it might be offended.
Guess what, there ARE people out there who would make you believe they don't believe in "nice days". lol Those are the ones who either give you a 'look', ignore you and be grumpy in general. I might wonder about them but not for long. I don't let their attitude affect me. I did have a lady once who was pretty grumpy. I told her to have a nice day and she said..."I don't know why you people always say that. You don't mean it!". I told her that, yes, I DID mean it but she was welcome to have any kind of day she would like. (I used my ''nice voice'.) She just said "Hmmmph" and walked off. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I don't believe in deities either, but I think it's a very nice thing to say. People sure get there panties in a bunch over nothing nowadays. As an aside, I'm glad there is still a Walmart greeter. They are few and far between where I live.
My store still has greeters and I'm glad. I was afraid they were going to lose their jobs. Well, some of them probably should retire...again...but they don't. And reading this thread made me think of one that DOES tell people to have a "blessed day". He's a long time member of my Mom's church. I notice though that he only says it to certain people so I expect they are of his same mind set. He's been there a lot of years and knows our customers.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Don't some pagan/wiccan followers also use the word "blessed"?
I have a few Pagan/Wiccan friends and, yes, they do.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times
Tsk Tsk...Some people are just too uptight.
If somebody say something nice to me, I would accept it.
Let it be "Have a blessed day" or "May Allah blesses you" or "May Zeus be with you" The guy means well, and that is what important!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
It just amazes me that one person can complain about something so innocuous that it would cause a major corporation to shake in its boots. Like that whole "Merry Christmas" debacle .

Me thinks everyone is too thin skinned these days.

Reminds me, years ago, I told a female co-worker "Good morning. You look nice today". Yup, I got a harassment complaint filed on me and had to attend "sensitivity" training.

It seems you are not permitted to smile, acknowledge, or say anything nice to anyone anymore.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:01 AM

939 posts, read 795,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Nobody said you couldn't be nice. What he was originally told was not to offend people by bringing his religious beliefs into their workplace. This may surprise you, but even in Georgia there are people who aren't religious, and believe it or not, some of them are even repubelicans.

Its an insult...its not a positive comment to many, that's what you aren't understanding.

So obviously absurd...you know that isn't the issue.

Because when you say that, it makes me feel that you are asking your God to smile on me and somehow make my day better. I don't like your God. I think your believe in God is a crutch for the weak minded people who need support to get through life. I dislike everything about your God, churches, policies, leaders etc. So when you "bless me" you are pushing all of that into my face, when all I really wanted was some milk and book.

While Walmart has softened their position, I would not shop at this store again if i lived in the area. It's the same when religious zealots put little fish signs in their windows, advertisements and business cards. Its a red flag to me to stay far away. Believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. Don't push, share, or promote your beliefs on me and we will get along fabulously.
If saying "have a blessed day" is pushing my issues on you- then you are SUPER SENSITIVE, and must get "offended" frequently throughout each day.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 AM

939 posts, read 795,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I dunno. But as long as the guy greets you with "Happy Holidays" during Christmas I'm good with it.
I've always wondered what holiday people are so happy about?!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It just amazes me that one person can complain about something so innocuous that it would cause a major corporation to shake in its boots. Like that whole "Merry Christmas" debacle .

Me thinks everyone is too thin skinned these days.

Reminds me, years ago, I told a female co-worker "Good morning. You look nice today". Yup, I got a harassment complaint filed on me and had to attend "sensitivity" training.

It seems you are not permitted to smile, acknowledge, or say anything nice to anyone anymore.
It "amazes" me too. It sounds to me like a $50 gift card situation, if anything, and acknowledgement of the complaint. And, yes, there are some "thin skinned" people out there. I work in customer service and see them every day.

As customer service people we are not only "permitted to smile" it's, pretty much, "required". Our customers don't let us get away with not doing it. Some WILL complain. It's happened to me.

Sometimes I hate this PC stuff.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
I'm an Atheist liberal but I'll never understand this sort of behavior. He can't say "Have a blessed day" to greet people? Why not? It's not an offensive thing to say but I guess if you're looking to be offended you can take issue with just about anything. Same with "Merry Christmas." Even if you don't celebrate Christmas what is there to be offended by? Why are people so sensitive about this irrelevant crap? And why do people these days think they're never supposed to be offended, like if they're offended they've been immeasurably slighted? If you're offended and you can't get over it that's your problem.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BLUE RIDGE, Ga. — Public pressure and strong support on social media have forced Walmart in Blue Ridge to do an about face on censoring one of their long-time greeters.

James Philips is the first person people see when they walk into Walmart and he has always greeted them with "Have a blessed day" until someone complained and he was silenced.

Walmart asks greeter to stop saying 'Have a blessed day' | www.wsbtv.com
I might not be religious but I can't understand how someone would take offense at this message wishing me well. Wonder if the complainer would have preferred this guy greet him/her with "Drop dead"!!!!! or $%@#$%$%^%$#$ you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events