Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 12:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Definitely agree. It's part of the "Christianese talk," one of the buzzwords, that is part of conservative Christian behavior. It was something everyone in my (former) fundamentalist circle would say, and I've never heard anyone other than Christians say it.

Maybe that's true according to the dictionary definition, but in reality, I don't see it used that way.

I certainly wouldn't get worked up if someone told me "Have a blessed day," but I can't take anyone seriously if they claim this has no religious intent, specifically, Christian.

Anyone here not a Christian who would regularly tell people "Have a blessed day"? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
Most christians don't even say it, just the fundies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I pity the person who complained about such an innocuous greeting. They must have a miserable outlook on life.
Blue Ridge is in the mountains and has become a popular retirement area.

I'm guessing it was a recent arrival from Miami.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I mostly agree, but what if he were to say "may Satan earn your worship by helping you defeat your enemies"? Basically the same thing except it specifically identifies Satan.

I don't mind someone saying "have a blessed day" even though I'm not very religious (a Deist). It's a positive sentiment so it is not offensive. As long as there is no problem with a Muslim saying to him "asalamu alakeyum", their traditional greeting which is basically the equivalent of saying "have a blessed day".

A few months ago I heard these Christian fundamentalists saying "God is great" to each other and I was tempted to say "Indeed, Allah akbhar" just to see how they would react, since "Allah akbhar" literally means what they were saying to each other, "God is great".

Allah and Jehovah and Jesus are, of course, all the same being. If there is a God, then all those concepts are just different interpretations of God. Allah is God, that's just the name of God in Arabic.The Hindu gods colllectively are God; it is a polytheistic interpretation of God.
From dictionary.com
Allahu Akbar

/ˈæləˌhu ˈakˌbaː/

interjection
1. (Islam) an exclamation used in the call to prayer and also used as a call to the defence of Muslims, an expression of approval, and a funeral litany

Word Origin

from Arabic, literally: God is most great

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I think you missed the point of his comment. Check your hair.
I guess I did. I have a professional do my hair and visit Sam's Club as well. I fail to see where "have a blessed day" means jack anything and general office DID back up this employee, which I knew they would.

There is a Walmart.com if a person is so annoyed by communication in general. I fail to see the baptism here-- Yack.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
My local chick fi la says that at the drive thru. First time I thought it was a fluke ,but it's every time. Just strikes me as kind of odd for any business.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So people should riot when greeted with "namaste" or some other spiritual phrase?
Yes. I am not offended but I don't think these things are appropriate to say to others when you don't know their religious or spiritual leanings or lack thereof. Blessed by whom? If you were to stop and ask the person who the blessing is coming from, I wonder who he would be referring to? Jesus? Krishna? Yahweh? Allah?

I see that many here are reading way more into my comment than I ever said but that's okay. Whatever it may mean if it gets people actually thinking about the meaning of their words, it's a good thing.

I think a simple "Thank you for shopping at Walmart" as someone suggested is the appropriate comment because the customer has been shopping at that store. That's the way to show appreciation. Admit it or not, "Have a blessed day" does show religious connotations.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
How about this Costco version from the movie "Idiocracy"?

Old 02-04-2015, 04:49 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes. I am not offended but I don't think these things are appropriate to say to others when you don't know their religious or spiritual leanings or lack thereof. Blessed by whom? If you were to stop and ask the person who the blessing is coming from, I wonder who he would be referring to? Jesus? Krishna? Yahweh? Allah?

I see that many here are reading way more into my comment than I ever said but that's okay. Whatever it may mean if it gets people actually thinking about the meaning of their words, it's a good thing.

I think a simple "Thank you for shopping at Walmart" as someone suggested is the appropriate comment because the customer has been shopping at that store. That's the way to show appreciation. Admit it or not, "Have a blessed day" does show religious connotations.
That is not correct English. That is past tense and highly inappropriate for someone walking in the door. Have a blessed day, means well wishes. There are many people to where , no one ever gives them any thought all day/week/months/years-- in life.

Callous reality.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
By the way, stop bringing up the whole "may Allah be with you" crap as an argument. You are not impressing anyone, merely showing your ignorance. That phrase has only one specific meaning related to one specific religion. So it's not even comparable to saying "have a blessed day." By the way I'm not Christian so I have no skin in the game. It's just astounding to me that someone can find the above phrase to be offensive.
Um, no. I'll bring up whatever I want as an argument. I didn't start it, and i didn't take credit for it...deal with it. I seriously doubt that anyone who used it was trying to impress anyone, its not impressive in any way. Not even a little.

Just because you aren't Christian doesn't absolve you of subjectivity in your reasoning. But I am sure there are words and phrases that you do find offensive right? Well not everyone will agree with you on those. So instead of making the bold, but obvious, statement that you "don't get it", maybe try asking questions and putting some effort into understanding why other do get it. You just might learn something.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I am not interested in hearing anything from anyone in Walmart unless they are telling me where to find what I need and how much I owe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events