Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 01:11 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

If you have a positive TB skin test, you have been infected with TB at some point, even if it did not make you ill. At the time you had the first positive test you should have had additional tests and possibly treatment. If that was not done, you should talk to your doctor. After the first positive test, there is no reason to do more skin tests, since they will be positive, too.

CDC | TB | Testing & Diagnosis

I was 12 years old and was sent to the TB hospital that used to be and they did all sorts of tests on me and concluded I am just allergic to the TB test. No, I have not had TB.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:21 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You do realize that you can vaccinate and supplement with Vitamin A if you are exposed? The two are not mutually exclusive.
Never said you can't take vitamins and it's irrelevant. You don't wait until after you are exposed to get a vaccination. That part is more pseudo science nonsense. It's just another fallacious excuse for not getting kids vaccinated.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 02-08-2015 at 01:30 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 01:42 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
The cost of find legal recourse is prohibitive for most people. But that's beside the point. As I stated the death toll resulting from automotive vehicle accidents ALONE is 30,000. Why aren't measures being to eliminate all fatalities due to automotive vehicle accidents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And those who suffer loss directly attributable to preventable incidents (DUI or malfunctioning equipment that was or should have been known) are able to sue those who were responsible. You ok with that when it comes to vaccines? Your un vaccinated self causes an outbreak in which infants too young to be vaccinated die you are liable?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
The cost of find legal recourse is prohibitive for most people. But that's beside the point. As I stated the death toll resulting from automotive vehicle accidents ALONE is 30,000. Why aren't measures being to eliminate all fatalities due to automotive vehicle accidents?
Please do not hijack this thread with talk about auto accidents. Start your own if you want to discuss this.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Because this has more to do with control then it does to do with preventing disease. If you can get the people on board with forced vaccinations after just a small outbreak of measles, well, you can get them on board with just about anything. If we lose the ability to decide what medical interventions we will and will not partake in, we lose some of our inherent freedom. There are plenty of things that are far more dangerous then measles but the media has hyped people into a frenzy causing some to call for the jailing of those who don't vax and for mandatory vaccinations. The pro vaccination extreme is a scary bunch.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:53 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was 12 years old and was sent to the TB hospital that used to be and they did all sorts of tests on me and concluded I am just allergic to the TB test. No, I have not had TB.
Thanks for the clarification. At least now there is a blood test that can be done instead of the skin test.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Automobiles result in the death of c. 30,000 Americans every year. The pollutants caused by the operation of automobiles cause significant environmental damage and contribute to the deaths of tens of thousands more people every year. Then there are the deaths of people who work(ed) in the automotive industry and petroleum industry. Some people might factor in the millions of people killed in securing access to foreign oil and gas. There is no doubt about the death toll that results from the vaunted automobile. I'm sure you consider the ownership and operation of a car as an inherent right and would consider it a violation of your rights and freedoms if they were banned outright.
No, I do NOT think that owning and operating a car is an inherent right. There are strict controls on driving and you will lose your license if you are caught disobeying them often enough. You don't have the right to go straight through a red light, you don't have the right to drive against traffic in an opposing lane, you don't have the right to drive up on the sidewalk. There are also legal constraints on the pollution emitted by cars. There are strict safety standards in the petroleum industry nowadays.

In general, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because there aren't enough safeguards in some other aspect of society or illness, doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve public health in the matter of measles.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:14 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Never said you can't take vitamins and it's irrelevant. You don't wait until after you are exposed to get a vaccination. That part is more pseudo science nonsense. It's just another fallacious excuse for not getting kids vaccinated.
Actually, vaccination is offered to exposed people who are not immune. See "post exposure prophylaxis".

Measles | For Healthcare Professionals | CDC

In this study, effectiveness was about 92% if vaccination was within 72 hours of exposure.

Immune globulin is a blood product containing antibodies. It is not a vaccine.

However, post exposure prophylaxis is not a substitute for vaccinating before exposure, as you point out.

Quote:
There are measures to reduce the death toll from automobile accidents: everything from reducing drunk driving to better vehicles, air bags, and seat belts.

There is no reason we cannot try to reduce accidents and improve vaccination rates to reduce measles. The fact is that it is easier to prevent deaths from measles than deaths from automobile accidents.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You do realize that you can vaccinate and supplement with Vitamin A if you are exposed? The two are not mutually exclusive.
Yes, of course. It adds a bit of security to make it a package. But probably vitamin A alone will not protect against measles.

We don't even know THAT for sure - maybe vitamin A does prevent measles. There are infinite possibilities for what mightprevent measles. Maybe a dropper full of whiskey every night will do the trick. Maybe a McDonalds french fry will cure. Maybe vitamin A. We simply don't know about those things because they haven't been studied yet. But we DO know that measles vaccine will prevent measles in over 90% of cases, and we know that when that threshold is reached even people without immunity likely won't get it.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Automobiles result in the death of c. 30,000 Americans every year. The pollutants caused by the operation of automobiles cause significant environmental damage and contribute to the deaths of tens of thousands more people every year. Then there are the deaths of people who work(ed) in the automotive industry and petroleum industry. Some people might factor in the millions of people killed in securing access to foreign oil and gas. There is no doubt about the death toll that results from the vaunted automobile. I'm sure you consider the ownership and operation of a car as an inherent right and would consider it a violation of your rights and freedoms if they were banned outright.
I agree that automobiles are an important health and safety issue and more should be done about their impact.

So, it would be hypocritical to do anything about measles. Or until 30,000 Americans die of measles per year. No vaccination is a basic right just as the right to drive and not wear a seat belt, the right to run red lights and not yield at crosswalks.

Last edited by nei; 02-08-2015 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events