Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 03:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Because this has more to do with control then it does to do with preventing disease. If you can get the people on board with forced vaccinations after just a small outbreak of measles, well, you can get them on board with just about anything. If we lose the ability to decide what medical interventions we will and will not partake in, we lose some of our inherent freedom. There are plenty of things that are far more dangerous then measles but the media has hyped people into a frenzy causing some to call for the jailing of those who don't vax and for mandatory vaccinations. The pro vaccination extreme is a scary bunch.
"Slippery Slope" is a logical fallacy. We're not going to go after your guns, Terri. Seriously.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
"Slippery Slope" is a logical fallacy. We're not going to go after your guns, Terri. Seriously.
Refusal to acknowledge that the slippery slope does in fact exist is a logical fallacy. INo one said anything about guns. Having the freedom to be in control of our own bodies is an inherent human right. I don't think the government should be allowed to impose on that right.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:22 PM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
It's really a shame this has become another devisive political issue. It's things like this that keeps us from focusing on the real problems.

I know, the government does dumb things, but public health is one place I want the government on top of things.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Refusal to acknowledge that the slippery slope does in fact exist is a logical fallacy. INo one said anything about guns. Having the freedom to be in control of our own bodies is an inherent human right. I don't think the government should be allowed to impose on that right.
Seeing a "slippery slope" everywhere isn't smart either. Vaccination isn't new. Compulsory vaccination laws aren't new. What I'm really seeing out of some people here is a desire to reverse a series of laws that worked to the great benefit of the people of this country for decades.

People can scream about freedom until they turn blue. Sick people have far less freedom than healthy people do.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Seeing a "slippery slope" everywhere isn't smart either. Vaccination isn't new. Compulsory vaccination laws aren't new. What I'm really seeing out of some people here is a desire to reverse a series of laws that worked to the great benefit of the people of this country for decades.

People can scream about freedom until they turn blue. Sick people have far less freedom than healthy people do.
Exactly! And MissTerri, you did say "just about anything"(below). Guns do have a public health aspect to them. And people bring up the first amendment. Did you know there was not ONE religious exemption to immunizations in Colorado schools last year? Nary a one.

That you don't understand this isn't a little insignificant outbreak doesn't mean it is. The following is a very good article with quotes from the Massachusetts director of epidemiology and immunization.
Mass. readies for measles, as Disneyland outbreak spreads - Metro - The Boston Globe
" “I think we’re all worried,” said Dr. Lawrence Madoff, director of the epidemiology and immunization division at the state Department of Public Health. “It would not surprise me to see a case in Massachusetts.” "

Quote:
Because this has more to do with control then it does to do with preventing disease. If you can get the people on board with forced vaccinations after just a small outbreak of measles, well, you can get them on board with just about anything. If we lose the ability to decide what medical interventions we will and will not partake in, we lose some of our inherent freedom. There are plenty of things that are far more dangerous then measles but the media has hyped people into a frenzy causing some to call for the jailing of those who don't vax and for mandatory vaccinations. The pro vaccination extreme is a scary bunch.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Who said anything about seeing it everywhere? I just don't find it wise to force medical interventions on people against their will.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:08 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Actually, vaccination is offered to exposed people who are not immune. See "post exposure prophylaxis"...
You actually did not respond to any point that I made. I made no commentary on its effectiveness. I said that you are not supposed to wait until exposed to get vaccinated. It's a stupid move that puts not only your kids in danger, but other kids in danger too.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
.... I don't think the government should be allowed to impose on that right.
Possibly, but the public DOES have a right to restrict your freedom if you or your kids if they pose a danger to the health of society.

I don't care if you want to put your life or rather the life of your kids in danger. But government has no obligation to support you in the matter. Hence, no access to public schools, public facilities, etc. Any any private facility has the right to lock you out as well.

And if you and your kids get sick because you were negligent and didn't get them vaccinated, then no insurance either. No reason for other rate payers to cover this negligence.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
.... I just don't find it wise to force medical interventions on people against their will.
The sad thing about this, is that nobody should have to "force" people to be responsible instead of being so self centered they lose all common sense about it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Possibly, but the public DOES have a right to restrict your freedom if you or your kids if they pose a danger to the health of society.

I don't care if you want to put your life or rather the life of your kids in danger. But government has no obligation to support you in the matter. Hence, no access to public schools, public facilities, etc. Any any private facility has the right to lock you out as well.

And if you and your kids get sick because you were negligent and didn't get them vaccinated, then no insurance either. No reason for other rate payers to cover this negligence.
Which vaccinations would you say are necessary for all in order to eliminate any potential danger to society? Which ones do you think people should be forced to have due to the threat to the public at large? Which vaccines should be optional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events