Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:47 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,193,064 times

Advertisements

There really are two Americas. One where people prefer rule of law, and one where people like whatever makes 'em feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 PM

132 posts, read 141,047 times
There'd be a lot fewer thieves if this was an acceptable form of punishment, but, unless you have a real fear of being harmed by the thief, it's not.

I recently heard Seattle has the highest property crime rate in the nation now. Not sure if it's true. Boils down to lack of prosecution... Things will be changing soon enough.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 PM

240 posts, read 253,046 times
Tell me why I have to permit slugs to steal my car? It's my car, not theirs. They have no right to come onto my property and put their filthy hands on it. I work for what I own. The car gets me back and forth to my job. My family and I depend on it to keep the bills paid. Too many people in here are weeping for the damned thieves.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,193,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Tell me why I have to permit slugs to steal my car? It's my car, not theirs. They have no right to come onto my property and put their filthy hands on it. I work for what I own. The car gets me back and forth to my job. My family and I depend on it to keep the bills paid. Too many people in here are weeping for the damned thieves.
There's a difference between being a proponent for sanity and crying for thieves. No one deserves to die for stealing a truck and no one has the right to go around shooting wildly at thieves, putting more lives in danger.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:07 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Too many people in here are weeping for the damned thieves.
I think they're weeping for the fact that people in this country have lost their damned minds. It's a truck. It's probably insured. There are police who are paid to do this on our behalf. We have a district attorney who prosecutes cases on our behalf.

Extrajudicial executions set a bad precedent and can lead nowhere good.

"I caught him messing with my car so I shot him!" (What if it turns out the guy was putting a flyer under the wiper? It's not a far stretch from point A to point B.)

Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 AM

1,431 posts, read 915,644 times
What if the two brothers had something of significant value in the truck? Something irreplaceable, like a family heirloom or something? Before you say they took it too far by chasing the thieves down, we should find out all the facts first.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,024,989 times
Family heirlooms? The collection of Franklin Mint commemorative tea cups is not worth killing someone over.

Yes, yes, the thief is not an exemplary human being. And while it's personally satisfying to file this clown's death under DSAF (Did Society a Favor), the last thing we need is more George Zimmerman types acting out their Steven Seagal fantasies -- small [censored], small brain and a big gun.

We have far too many of that type among us already.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:57 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In the formerly sane world (in jurisdictions I am familiar with), this meant you are about to go to jail, as deadly force was not allowed to protect property....
And in an even saner world before that, you could shoot a horse thief. It's the world that you describe, where criminals are coddled, that has led to the one we live in now. That experiment failed.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
...Yes, yes, the thief is not an exemplary human being. And while it's personally satisfying to file this clown's death under DSAF (Did Society a Favor), the last thing we need is more George Zimmerman types acting out their Steven Seagal fantasies -- small [censored], small brain and a big gun.

We have far too many of that type among us already.
Ahh. So you worry more about the ones who protect themselves against criminals instead of the criminals and the crimes they commit.

Your priorities are misplaced.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,895,624 times
What do I think ? I think the female reporter in the the red top has a great body !

As for the shooting, ya gotta love Texas, those guys know how to take care of criminals down there. It sounds like the two brothers were smart enough to say "The one criminal who got away pointed a gun at them, that is why they started shooting back." Now it becomes self defense, and the other guy is nowhere to be seen, so who can say if he had a gun or not ?

One thing for sure, that POS won't be stealing anyone else's property ever again !

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events