Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM

920 posts, read 633,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How is me marrying my fiancee doing anything to control your behavior or speech?

You can say whatever you want, you can marry who you want.
In what way are you being controlled by me having the same rights as you?
When your marriage requires owners of bakeries, flower shops or photographers the denial of their first amendment rights to freely practice their religion or face exorbitant fines or loss of livelihood by force of the State, you are controlling behavior and speech of others.

When your marriage requires the majority of society to embrace the redefinition of a theological and foundational societal norm or be called out as bigoted and homophobic, you are trying to control the behavior and speech of others.

When your marriage requires judicial activism to overturn the will of the majority of the citizens, that is controlling behavior and speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM

920 posts, read 633,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Wrong. Religion is included in anti-discrimination laws including the one that 'Kansas just removed sexual orientation from.
So, I can be fired because I am homosexual, but you can't be fired because of your religion. Why should religion have special protections?

Again, because religious freedom is guaranteed in the US Constitution. Point out where your right to bump uglies with the same sex is a Constitutionally guaranteed right?

Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
What to do when say these supposed love-based marriages hinders the employer from operating an efficient and profitable business, and then these supposed loved-based marriages fail and end in divorce?
If only we had some sort of previous experience with the concept of "marriage".

Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeenGreen View Post
With the stroke of a pen, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback erased protections offered to LGBT state employees facing discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Governor orders end to LGBT protected class

What is more important than LGBT's 'rights', are American children who are brainwashed every school day. Because these children are the real victims! Where are our children's rights?
I fail to see why anyone with a sane mind would want to live in that a*s backwards state.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who tells their boss what their sexual orientation is? Are employers asking employees what their sexual orientation is? How can you protect or discriminate against someone unless they are being obnoxiously promiscuous about their sexual orientation, in which case maybe they should be fired (homo- or heterosexual).
You mean like having a photo of their significant other on their desk like EVERY SINGLE OTHER STRAIGHT PERSON HAS ON THEIR DESK? Yeah.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
but people want to be considered normal and then also want all this special treatment. It boggles my mind. I have never been to Kansas so I don't know how people are treated but here in California gays aren't being harassed endlessly
What "special treatment" is it to ask that at work, you be judged on your WORK, not your relationships/orientation? It doesn't mean you can't fire a gay person, only that you can't fire a gay person BECAUSE they are gay. Just like you can't fire a black person BECAUSE they are Black, but you can still fire them, ditto with religion, disabled, etc.

Orientation was written into the specific list of people you can't (in some places) discriminate against, specifically because it was happening. You don't hear of anybody firing someone for, say, having red hair, thus there is no need for "hair color protection". However, some people still don't want a "damned *****" working for them even if said person is their top employee.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
When your marriage requires owners of bakeries, flower shops or photographers the denial of their first amendment rights to freely practice their religion or face exorbitant fines or loss of livelihood by force of the State, you are controlling behavior and speech of others.

When your marriage requires the majority of society to embrace the redefinition of a theological and foundational societal norm or be called out as bigoted and homophobic, you are trying to control the behavior and speech of others.

When your marriage requires judicial activism to overturn the will of the majority of the citizens, that is controlling behavior and speech.
Sorry you don't like some states anti-discrimination laws, but they exist, and all businesses have to follow the same laws.

No one cares if you "embrace" anything. You can love me, hate me, call me a big doo doo head, I don't care, but as an American citizen I am entitled to the same constitutional rights you enjoy including the right to equal protection of the laws.

The "will of the people" doesn't matter when it comes to constitutional protections. We are not a direct democracy, you do not get to vote on other peoples rights.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
To me, denverian, your statement I bolded is such a double standard.

Like me and accept me for being gay, but if you dare not agree with it, you are a bigot.
One has the right to not agree or like it.

That behavior and attitude their is what makes people sick of all this.
Not so much being gay or lesbian, which I could give a rats you know what.

It is this behavior that is shoved onto society THEN a double standard!!
It's only a problem for people who are overly sensitive & need thicker skins.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Again, because religious freedom is guaranteed in the US Constitution. Point out where your right to bump uglies with the same sex is a Constitutionally guaranteed right?
The constitution has to do with government laws and treatment, not how businesses operate.
If a business says I won't hire Christians then they would be breaking anti-discrimination laws that protect religion.

Funny how you guys always think about who I'm "bumping uglies" with when it is not even a topic of this discussion. And you people say all we think about is sex.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Don't act as a bigot, don't get called a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events