Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,249 times

Advertisements

First thought jury has is this:
If it's a citizen criminal, lean towards guilty.
If it's a cop criminal, lean towards innocent as he was doing his job.
Right there backed by other arguments from defending lawyers turns into not guilty almost all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:01 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,493 times
And... The cop was acquited of Federal Civil Rights violations... Why was he charged with Civil Rights violations? This doesn't strike me as a racial issue. I've seen the video repeatedly, despite it being sickening. Sure the cop was a moron, and didn't even want to try to communicate by other means since there was a language divide, but that doesn't mean the old man was body slammed because he was Indian. Truth be told, I doubt that idiot cop could even tell me where India is on a map, let alone differentiate an Indian from any other brown ethnicity.

I'm just more annoyed at how this dismissal could screw the civil case.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
And... The cop was acquited of Federal Civil Rights violations... Why was he charged with Civil Rights violations? This doesn't strike me as a racial issue. I've seen the video repeatedly, despite it being sickening. Sure the cop was a moron, and didn't even want to try to communicate by other means since there was a language divide, but that doesn't mean the old man was body slammed because he was Indian. Truth be told, I doubt that idiot cop could even tell me where India is on a map, let alone differentiate an Indian from any other brown ethnicity.

I'm just more annoyed at how this dismissal could screw the civil case.
The incident originated from a nosy neighbor complaining about a "skinny black man" walking down the street.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The problem here is the aggressiveness on the part of the LEO, as opposed to methodically working to keep the situation calm - or, to defuse it if it threatens to become intense.

In 2012, police in the United States killed 410 Americans using 'justifiable force'.

And for those who say that such tactics cannot work, ponder this:

Armed police: Trigger happy | The Economist

And the comparative results? The UK incarcerates a smaller proportion of its population, and has lower rates of violent crime. And isn't controlling crime the entire point of the matter?

Sadly, there are some people who are more interested in making excuses for egregious behavior than in actually demanding better behavior that produces better results.
In this country it's a business to throw people in jail.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:07 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Absolutely disgusting.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:40 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
As a policeman with more years than this officer has been alive this appears to me to be an unnecessary use of force and would violate any policy or procedure I can think of.. other than some real threat.. and there was none

The officer will face assault and battery for this...

The department and city will be liable for a huge payout

I would like to know what the heck was going on in his mind that he thought this was an acceptable technique...

We have 57 languages regularly spoken in my areas... most aliens do not understand commands... we train for this all the time

Sad,,, really sad... injured an innocent person for life.. gave up a career... brought dishonor to all of us

For me to use this much force it would be a fight... or non compliance that put my life of the life of others in danger... we dont throw people on the ground without substantial cause...

As to the police haters.. this is a rare case... and while haters love to post this stuff saying its routine.. the reality is that it is very very rare to have a case where unjustifiable force is used resulting in an injury and officer termination and criminal complaint
It is not rare, you can find new examples of police assaults on people every single day on the internet.
The police have a culture of violence as can be shown by the statistics of domestic violence by police on their own families.

Police in the US will kill approximately 1000 people this year, while their counterparts in the UK will not even kill 5. The justice system in the US is broken and needs to be completely overhauled.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:15 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It is not rare, you can find new examples of police assaults on people every single day on the internet.
The police have a culture of violence as can be shown by the statistics of domestic violence by police on their own families.

Police in the US will kill approximately 1000 people this year, while their counterparts in the UK will not even kill 5. The justice system in the US is broken and needs to be completely overhauled.
A little empathy for police would go a long way. I am in no way apologizing for, or tolerating the actions of the cop in this situation; but let's consider a few things:

1) We do have 5 times the population of the UK
2) Many of those people are in urban areas with a lower standard of living than the UK
3) At the risk of stepping on a political landmine, we do have WAAAAAAY more guns in distribution than the UK.

Cops in the nice parts of town are often really nice. It's the cops in the not-so-nice parts that often get jaded. I would be jaded as well if that is what kept me safe, and allowed me to go home to my kids at the end of my shift.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:51 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,101 times
Well tbh, this guy knew the word "Stop" and he still kept walking despite the police officer saying it at least twice. The police officer should not be charged because mr. patel chose not to listen to a cop. He understood what cops were and he understood stop. That should be enough.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:44 PM

16,575 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Well tbh, this guy knew the word "Stop" and he still kept walking despite the police officer saying it at least twice. The police officer should not be charged because mr. patel chose not to listen to a cop. He understood what cops were and he understood stop. That should be enough.

How absurd.

First of all, it was not established that the man understood what stop meant. I might know alto means stop in Spanish, but there are many languages I would have a clue what stop meant in. I suspect he stopped because the officer was in uniform, and may have made gestures indicating he wanted him to stop.

While I will listen to a lawful order by a LEO, if I fail to do so in that situation, it does not give him the right to physically harm me beyond what might be necessary to continue to detain me. Needless to say picking up and body slamming an old man into the ground was well beyond any justifiable use of titrated force with police department protocols.

Not only did this cop mess up by his excessive force, he obviously didn't use common sense since there was no indication this man had done anything wrong. The average cop probably would have tried to establish where the guy lived, walked home with him, and try to find someone to interpret. If that was not possible, many departments have people who could interpret.
If all else fails, they could assume he had done nothing wrong, didn't pose a threat, and let the guy go. After all, they had no probable cause to detain him.

`

Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
A little empathy for police would go a long way. I am in no way apologizing for, or tolerating the actions of the cop in this situation; but let's consider a few things:

1) We do have 5 times the population of the UK
2) Many of those people are in urban areas with a lower standard of living than the UK
3) At the risk of stepping on a political landmine, we do have WAAAAAAY more guns in distribution than the UK.

Cops in the nice parts of town are often really nice. It's the cops in the not-so-nice parts that often get jaded. I would be jaded as well if that is what kept me safe, and allowed me to go home to my kids at the end of my shift.
I have a little bit of a problem mustering any empathy for psychopaths. Of all occupations, law enforcement is ranked #7 in its attraction of people with psychopathic tendencies.
In short, people who are attracted to violence, who enjoy bulling other people, who themselves are incapable of empathy for others are the people who are attracted to law enforcement.

So far as the considerations you mentioned,

1) Given the difference in population, the corrected number given the population would be 15 killings not 1000.
2) So if you live in an urban area or have a lower standard of living, you are fair game to be killed by law enforcement.... your life does not really matter because of your economic standing.

3) Nearly half of all people involved in police shootings by police are unarmed. How do you reconcile that with the number of guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events