Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Well tbh, this guy knew the word "Stop" and he still kept walking despite the police officer saying it at least twice. The police officer should not be charged because mr. patel chose not to listen to a cop. He understood what cops were and he understood stop. That should be enough.
Nice try, Police Officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
How absurd.

First of all, it was not established that the man understood what stop meant. I might know alto means stop in Spanish, but there are many languages I would have a clue what stop meant in. I suspect he stopped because the officer was in uniform, and may have made gestures indicating he wanted him to stop.

While I will listen to a lawful order by a LEO, if I fail to do so in that situation, it does not give him the right to physically harm me beyond what might be necessary to continue to detain me. Needless to say picking up and body slamming an old man into the ground was well beyond any justifiable use of titrated force with police department protocols.

Not only did this cop mess up by his excessive force, he obviously didn't use common sense since there was no indication this man had done anything wrong. The average cop probably would have tried to establish where the guy lived, walked home with him, and try to find someone to interpret. If that was not possible, many departments have people who could interpret.
If all else fails, they could assume he had done nothing wrong, didn't pose a threat, and let the guy go. After all, they had no probable cause to detain him.

`

^^^
This.

The officer's actions were completely unjustified. He's not entitled to permanently disabling anyone who doesn't listen to him when there's no violent crime in progress that needs to be stopped.

At some point the entire way policing is being done in this country will have to be completely revamped.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I have a little bit of a problem mustering any empathy for psychopaths. Of all occupations, law enforcement is ranked #7 in its attraction of people with psychopathic tendencies.
In short, people who are attracted to violence, who enjoy bulling other people, who themselves are incapable of empathy for others are the people who are attracted to law enforcement.

So far as the considerations you mentioned,

1) Given the difference in population, the corrected number given the population would be 15 killings not 1000.
2) So if you live in an urban area or have a lower standard of living, you are fair game to be killed by law enforcement.... your life does not really matter because of your economic standing.

3) Nearly half of all people involved in police shootings by police are unarmed. How do you reconcile that with the number of guns?
Please don't mistake my message. I don't have empathy for THIS PARTICULAR COP. I do try to muster as much as possible for Police Officers in general. They have a difficult, and dangerous, job which I am not rushing out to sign up for, and I'm pretty sure you're not either. Too many of them have made the ultimate sacrifice, leaving their children without mothers or fathers; and never being able to watch their own kids grow up. All so that they can protect and/or help complete strangers.

Your post is really just you painting with a very broad brush. I'd like to know where you got that statistic about psychopathic tendencies. You stated it, please cite the source. I'm not going to spend my time looking.

Most of the cops I've dealt with don't enjoy bullying other people, but they do have a strong sense of right and wrong. Not sure if you're somehow confusing the two.

1) Yes, we do have a problem with police violence in isolated instances, but you also need to keep in mind the media makes money off sensationalism, and this is a great source for that.
2) Lower standard of living in urban areas are more dangerous environments. Any rational person will be more defensive in such an environment. This is common sense, I'm not sure why you're trying to oversimplify it.
3) Without going into specifics of individual shootings, it's too easy to paint a picture. Perhaps 10% of those shootings involved people who were threatening someone else, maybe the people shot were going for the cop's weapon, maybe they were under the influence of drugs, you never mentioned if the police shot to kill or incapacitate.

Also, the number of guns in an area already known for higher than normal gun violence just plays a role in how anyone would behave while in a certain environment. Do you really begrudge cops having a desire to live to see their families? If you're going to harbor so much hate for cops on such a universal level, maybe you should consider walking a mile in their shoes...

Old 01-21-2016, 01:32 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
acquitted.

Police officer acquitted in 'assault' on Indian grandfather Sureshbhai Patel - BBC News

Old 01-21-2016, 06:36 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Please don't mistake my message. I don't have empathy for THIS PARTICULAR COP. I do try to muster as much as possible for Police Officers in general. They have a difficult, and dangerous, job which I am not rushing out to sign up for, and I'm pretty sure you're not either. Too many of them have made the ultimate sacrifice, leaving their children without mothers or fathers; and never being able to watch their own kids grow up. All so that they can protect and/or help complete strangers.

Your post is really just you painting with a very broad brush. I'd like to know where you got that statistic about psychopathic tendencies. You stated it, please cite the source. I'm not going to spend my time looking.

Most of the cops I've dealt with don't enjoy bullying other people, but they do have a strong sense of right and wrong. Not sure if you're somehow confusing the two.

1) Yes, we do have a problem with police violence in isolated instances, but you also need to keep in mind the media makes money off sensationalism, and this is a great source for that.
2) Lower standard of living in urban areas are more dangerous environments. Any rational person will be more defensive in such an environment. This is common sense, I'm not sure why you're trying to oversimplify it.
3) Without going into specifics of individual shootings, it's too easy to paint a picture. Perhaps 10% of those shootings involved people who were threatening someone else, maybe the people shot were going for the cop's weapon, maybe they were under the influence of drugs, you never mentioned if the police shot to kill or incapacitate.

Also, the number of guns in an area already known for higher than normal gun violence just plays a role in how anyone would behave while in a certain environment. Do you really begrudge cops having a desire to live to see their families? If you're going to harbor so much hate for cops on such a universal level, maybe you should consider walking a mile in their shoes...

I probably know more about cops than anyone here. I worked for years when I was younger in an establishment which was a hangout for cops. I had the opportunity to see the real side of them when they are bragging about the beatings and the other things they do to people. They have no sense of right and wrong, they are psychopath's who are incapable of understanding that concept. They are right, and you are wrong. That is what they understand. They take and oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and then break that oath several times each and every day.
You can defend them all you want but it does not change the facts. They are a damaged group of humans who take pleasure in hurting others and getting away with it. If you are truly interested in knowing what they really do spend some time on the second link....
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...12454388,d.cGc

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...12454388,d.cGc

Old 01-22-2016, 02:45 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events