Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 05:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times

Advertisements

While PA declares a moratorium on the death penalty. Now ISIS can post pictures of US executions next to their own. .

Utah House Approves Bill Allowing Executions By Firing Squad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:42 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,972,687 times
Utah had previously used firing squads, that is how Gary Gilmore was executed in 1977.

The other option was hanging.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,996,825 times
I don't support capital punishment, but if you're going to execute someone, firing squad or hanging by a competent hangman seems a lot more humane than these ****ed-up ****show chemical executions that have been happening lately.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,096,510 times
Effective and cheap...
Takes a toll on the firing squad,,,

You have a better way.. lets hear it?

And keeping convicted murderers alive isnt any deterrent.. just expensive... its effective because we know with a certainty the murderer will never be a repeat offender and we wont be reminded of their crime at each parole hearing

As far as what terrorists do ... there isnt any comparison

Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,183,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Effective and cheap...
Takes a toll on the firing squad,,,
Possibly. Firing squads are usually organized with one gun loaded with a blank or only powder so that each member can have the belief that he did not actually cause the death of the condemned.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM

24,598 posts, read 17,342,634 times
I see nothing wrong with death by firing squad. Have the guns aimed at a predetermined point which corresponds to the condemned heart and there could be 20 buttons or more that people would press and one would trigger the firing.

A better idea is to make an AP where the public could chime in and someone pressing the YES to shoot button on the AP will trigger the guns to go off.

I think it is high time to get tough on murderers that have been convicted beyond a reasonable doubt or have plead guilty to their crimes. Some people just don't deserve life.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM

240 posts, read 253,035 times
If I were sentenced to die, I'd want the firing squad. It's quick and relatively painless (I'm assuming).

Old 02-14-2015, 12:52 AM

29,225 posts, read 22,442,019 times
Wyoming is discussing the adoption of the firing squad option, too.
Theirs has a weird twist; the condemned is to be to be rendered unconscious by anesthesia before he's shot. That would open up a lot of potential problems that I can think of.

Gary Gilmore was administered a tranquilizer before he was executed, but he was fully conscious.

Both states have many Mormons, and there is an old Mormon tradition of executions that literally spill the blood of the condemned in the belief that by doing so, the offender is atoned in heaven.
Both, but especially Utah, primarily used the firing squad as an option. Those of their faith generally asked for it. Hanging was a method of execution that was seen as being unrighteous and degrading to the condemned throughout the West. Horse thieves were hanged because they were the lowest of the low, and didn't deserve a bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events