Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,617,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The thread is posted most likely to see what the reaction is. And stir up controversies.

I hope those of you who judge food stamp individuals {period} NEVER have to have them. Your tune may soon change if you needed help.

I once met a guy at a "group" I was attending who befriended me, and he finally asked me one day how I was living {in a dump, on welfare and food stamps TEMPORARILY}. I told Him I had welfare {IT IS called "TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE" officially BTW} and food stamps. He promptly said "so my taxes are paying for you to live". I said "You could look at it that way. I look at it this way: in my working history I have always worked more than one job at any given time, sometimes as many as 3 jobs at once, and I paid my taxes into the system so that one day, LIKE NOW, WHEN I NEED IT, the system is there to help me out. AND FURTHER MORE, I DO expect to be paying taxes again as soon as I am on my feet again.".
I WAS so glad that the help WAS THERE when I NEEDED it {and I am no longer on it, I am not a "lifer" on social services}.

That guy was a jerk for saying that his taxes are paying for you to live. Kudos to you for keeping your cool and explaining everything to that jerkwad. Care to tell us what his response was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 AM

174 posts, read 125,713 times
I know this may seem a bit off topic but it relates to the use and misuse of food stamps.

A group of people I discuss things with came with a scenario that we have been debating for a while. Here is the situation.

Jim's fruit market accepts SNAP payment for fruits and vegetables including potatoes. Is there any time that his taking those payments for a bag of potatoes would not be legal?

Johns wholesale produce company buys produce such as potatoes from individuals that they resale to retail establishments? Is there any time that his buying potatoes from individuals not legal?

John pay's $2.00 for a 5 pound bag of potatoes. John sells 5 pound bags of potatoes for $3.50 per bag wholesale to retail establishments.

Jim sells 5 pound bags of potatoes for $5.00 per bag.

Jim and John business names for the common owner of both business'.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,019,410 times
[quote=Scooby Snacks;38479983]Is there a point to this thread? People get arrested every day. I assume OP started the thread in a pathetic attempt to bash the Food Stamp Program, and I'm not going for it. Many people need it, and there will always be a few who take advantage of the system, no matter what system it is.[/

I agree.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,440,365 times
Id like for the cops to check up on this in my area. We have a "farmers market" here that I frequent. All the time Ill be sorting through fruits and veggies and there will still be store or supplier stickers on the food. They even package the blueberries and such in Dole containers. I have a sneaking suspicion that people are using food stamps to buy this produce then selling it at the farmers market, for cash. Its always intersting that some of the people are obviously farmers and can tell you how the soil affects the flavor and such. Then other "farmers" have no idea that theyre selling something thats not even in season...

Old 02-18-2015, 03:03 PM

6,784 posts, read 5,513,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
That guy was a jerk for saying that his taxes are paying for you to live. Kudos to you for keeping your cool and explaining everything to that jerkwad. Care to tell us what his response was?
Uhm, Well, he shook his head and said "It still comes out of my taxes right now for you to live". I looked him straihgt inthe eye and said/asked "CAN YOU LIVE on $189 for the MONTH?" and he said, "That's IT? That's all you get?". I said "Exactly". And I added: "My taxes will again pay for the services I used". {I was on for a whole 1.5 years while out on medical leave, drained all resources I could, and not able to work to have income. One bad thing led to another after another for me, as well as 4 major surgeries in 2 years.} This WAS a long long time ago.

Yes, as pointed out, I forgot to mention the WIC program{Women, Infants & Chilrden}, STILL ALSO open to working women/families with children!
A family OF JUST 2: a single mother and ONE child can have income maximum income to $29,101/year, so ABOVE poverty and a maximum income of $44,123 for family of FOUR for today's requirements.

I HOPE I NEVER have to rely on that again, and I have saved/invested to help make sure I don't have to be that low again. My spouse went bankrupt once a long long time ago, and had to rely on Social Services to, so we BOTH value saving/investing/frugal living now!

But, one never knows when one could be that "one paycheck away from homelessness".

I DON"T JUDGE anyone who is on Social Services til I know their story. Some stories are just "hard luck"{like mine}, OTHERS DO SCAM THE system, and finally they are getting BETTER at catching them, but in ORDER TO CATCH THEM, they have to LET them abuse the system first- so they can then catch them!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,128,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Would you prefer that these people only buy food with the entitlement money, and snatch purses or burgle houses to buy alcohol & cigarettes? Because those are the choices for a lot of people.
I love that you think the only 2 choices are they get food stamps OR they rob & burglarize.
..... How about they get a JOB!!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
How did you get that idea? Or did you just make that up based on what you think about their names?

DUH.....There ARE pictures!!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 PM

469 posts, read 551,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Actually, no, you'd probably never hear about it. That would be racist.

Nope you would hear about it, but the excuses given in this thread wouldn't exist

Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 PM

469 posts, read 551,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, the point of the thread was to post a giant photo of 34 grungy but unmistakably white people who (allegedly) committed food stamp fraud.

And it worked. The OP got me with "New York" and I thought the alleged perpetrators would all be black. Anyone else?

So is that the real reason why u came in to the thread?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
If they truly can't afford to buy food, then they definitely can't afford alcohol and tobacco.
Rational people think that but most people on welfare buy things that we think of as luxuries. Get behind one of them in the grocery store and you will see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events