Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,230,520 times

Advertisements

Letter: Man with no kids ordered to pay child support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:48 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,128,220 times
And the Detroit Bar rates this judge as "outstanding".

She should be thrown off the bench, dis-barred and "outstanding" in a cornfield somewhere far, far away from any courtroom.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 AM

24,810 posts, read 17,554,815 times
There wasn't much of a story at that link.
The only way I see this is possible is if the guy took in the mother and child and they were living with him, he and the mom broke up and now the mom can't support herself and her child.

It sure sounds fishy but with the way the courts are getting so PC, Liberal, Soft on Criminals and Whacky I'm not surprised by this.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,448,126 times
That link is basically a letter to the editor.

Here is an actual news story with more detail.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1991456

Old 02-28-2015, 08:23 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,569,652 times
It has nothing to do with being PC or being soft on criminals. It's based on centuries old laws. Every state will go to great lengths to find someone to support a family basically so it doesn't have to. It's in every Family Law statue regarding the care of children. It doesn't matter if the kid is yours or not. Your name is on the paper, you are obligated to take care of the child. The judge was simply doing her job of upholding the law. It was up to him to make certain he was no longer responsible for this child when he broke up with his girlfriend. All he had to do was go to court and get his name taken off the papers.

The details of this story are sparsely given. There is probably more to it. I feel sorry for this poor guy. He can appeal but that will cost him too.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,448,126 times
Read the link I posted. It wasn't his fault. He may not even have been named on the birth certificate, just on papers the mother filled out to get welfare.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,230,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There wasn't much of a story at that link.
The only way I see this is possible is if the guy took in the mother and child and they were living with him, he and the mom broke up and now the mom can't support herself and her child.

It sure sounds fishy but with the way the courts are getting so PC, Liberal, Soft on Criminals and Whacky I'm not surprised by this.

We incarcerate more people than any country on earth, the prison population has exploded in the last 25 years. There is nothing "soft on criminals" about the American justice system

Old 02-28-2015, 08:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,163,853 times
I saw a case like this on one of those Daytime Court shows.

In a moment of anger, the man's wife had insinuated the 5 year old child that he had raised so far and loved was not his. They divorced, and she took him to court for child support. It was proven that the child indeed was not his biological child.

The judged ruled the father needed to pay the support. Although it seems unfair, and the wife had indeed cheated, lied and hurt everyone in the small family, he was still for all intents and purposes the only father the child had known. Surely the child does not deserve to be punished. The child did nothing to fool anyone.

The judged had asked the man if he loved the child, and his answer was of course I do. I dont know if I would have had I known it was not mine, but believing it was mine, I love it as my own.

The judge had asked does the child love you, and his answer was yes it does.

Since the child was not a baby, it was then brought into the courtroom by the bailiff, and upon seeing its 'father', let go of the bailiffs hand and ran right up to him and grabbed his leg smiling. It did not run to its mother, but its 'father'.

The judge pointed down to the child, smiled and said, although I do not condone this mothers behavior, how could anyone seeing this say this not your child?

I think in the case I saw the judge made the perfect ruling. The 'father' now has court ordered visitation as well as child support.

DNA tests are cheap now. $30 at the hospital where I work to prove paternity (at least when the child is born there). There is no reason for any man to blindly accept he is someone's father, if the idea that he might not be is of concern to either him or his family.

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 02-28-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM

8,792 posts, read 8,218,755 times
Judge

Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,976,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I saw a case like this on one of those Daytime Court shows.

In a moment of anger, the man's wife had insinuated the 5 year old child that he had raised so far and loved was not his. They divorced, and she took him to court for child support. It was proven that the child indeed was not his biological child.

The judged ruled the father needed to pay the support. Although it seems unfair, and the wife had indeed cheated, lied and hurt everyone in the small family, he was still for all intents and purposes the only father the child had known. Surely the child does not deserve to be punished. The child did nothing to fool anyone.

The judged had asked the man if he loved the child, and his answer was of course I do. I dont know if I would have had I known it was not mine, but believing it was mine, I love it as my own.

The judge had asked does the child love you, and his answer was yes it does.

Since the child was not a baby, it was then brought into the courtroom by the bailiff, and upon seeing its 'father', let go of the bailiffs hand and ran right up to him and grabbed his leg smiling. It did not run to its mother, but its 'father'.

The judge pointed down to the child, smiled and said, although I do not condone this mothers behavior, how could anyone seeing this say this not your child?

I think in the case I saw the judge made the perfect ruling. The 'father' now has court ordered visitation as well as child support.

DNA tests are cheap now. $30 at the hospital where I work to prove paternity (at least when the child is born there). There is no reason for any man to blindly accept he is someone's father, if the idea that he might not be is of concern to either him or his family.

That situation is completely different than what is going on with this man, he has DNA tests to prove the kid is not his, he never even knew the child existed until now, and the child probably wouldn't be able to pick the guy out of a lineup of people. And watching the newsclip on trishguard's link, it's not even the mother he owes money to anymore as that debt was "forvigen," but the state for welfare funds paid to the mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events