Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 AM

66 posts, read 73,390 times

Advertisements

University of Minnesota Bans Use of Race in Crime Suspect Descriptions | PUNDIT PRESS
The University of Minnesota has banned the use of race when describing crime suspects when only a “limited” amount of information is known about them. Specifically, if the race of the suspect is known, but some other identifiable traits are not, the college will not release the race of the criminal.

Well, it's only my opinion and can somebody tell me, they really think that they will "destroy" racial discrimination by this way?
More censorship at college but as long as it helps blacks, liberals tell us it's ok?
And also, every time when somebody comitted a crime, main description of criminals was his skin color.
Does it mean that now, when thwy will call 911 they will answer like:
1 - Describe thief please, what's his skin color, his clothes?
2 - Skin color? Hmm... I can't tell this, sorry!
What do you think guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 09:04 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Wrongful convictions happen daily, and I'm not sure if the U of M knows something about it or not, but they might know that race plays a large part in the wrongful convictions.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
University of Minnesota Bans Use of Race in Crime Suspect Descriptions | PUNDIT PRESS
The University of Minnesota has banned the use of race when describing crime suspects when only a “limited” amount of information is known about them. Specifically, if the race of the suspect is known, but some other identifiable traits are not, the college will not release the race of the criminal.

Well, it's only my opinion and can somebody tell me, they really think that they will "destroy" racial discrimination by this way?
More censorship at college but as long as it helps blacks, liberals tell us it's ok?
And also, every time when somebody comitted a crime, main description of criminals was his skin color.
What do you think guys?
It means, if you want to give a description of a suspect, then give a real description. "Black Male" doesn't cut it. Example:

"Armed robbery suspect description: white male, black hoodie, wearing a grey mask, 6'4", slim build, possibly carrying brown bag."

"Armed robbery suspect description: black male."

Do you see a difference there? You never hear "Armed robbery suspect description: white male." People would laugh at that description. But for some reason "black male" is considered a good enough description by many people.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 02-28-2015 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
Well, let's take this to it's logical conclusion and ban gender descriptions too! All suspects are now equal. "someone committed a crime. Be on the look out for them!"

Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post

What do you think guys?
another great example of how on the scales of justice, with the University of Minnesota on one end and DeenThomas on the other, inexplicably tilt down on the side opposite DeenThomas

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
this world is flat out pathetic.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,381,258 times
How can the University of Minnesota ban anything pertaining to crime reporting (?), or does this apply only to crimes that happen on campus?

Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
How can the University of Minnesota ban anything pertaining to crime reporting (?), or does this apply only to crimes that happen on campus?
The university has a policy of delivering crime alerts to students via email for serious crimes which involve physical confrontation: sexual assault, physical assault, robbery, etc. This applies to crimes which occur on campus, and to crimes in adjacent neighborhoods which involve students as victims.

While racism is a very real concern, this decision by The University of Minnesota is simply bad policy. Crime alerts are useless without complete descriptions. The race of an offender is a valid part of that description. The university will presumably continue to include sex and other physical characteristics in their descriptions. This is an illegitimate solution to an unrelated and complex problem.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It means, if you want to give a description of a suspect, then give a real description. "Black Male" doesn't cut it. Example:

"Armed robbery suspect description: white male, black hoodie, wearing a grey mask, 6'4", slim build, possibly carrying brown bag."

"Armed robbery suspect description: black male."

Do you see a difference there? You never hear "Armed robbery suspect description: white male." People would laugh at that description. But for some reason "black male" is considered a good enough description by many people.
Yes, generic descriptions that only give a suspects race, with no other unique, identifying characteristics, can , hardly, be used as search criteria. I would think, that's just common sense. Are the cops just going to arrest every "black male" they see.based on such a report as being discussed? Last I checked, much more is required in a description than JUST a suspects race.

However, "black male, 6'0-6'2, bald, tattoo of a (whatever) on back of head, long scar on left side of face, gotee beard, walks with a limp" etc...THAT is a proper description. I don't think that LE operates based on descriptions that only list a suspects race. However, when combined with a list of other unique features, I believe race is certainly a factor to list. Sorta goes without say...

Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yes, generic descriptions that only give a suspects race, with no other unique, identifying characteristics, can , hardly, be used as search criteria. I would think, that's just common sense. Are the cops just going to arrest every "black male" they see.based on such a report as being discussed? Last I checked, much more is required in a description than JUST a suspects race.

However, "black male, 6'0-6'2, bald, tattoo of a (whatever) on back of head, long scar on left side of face, gotee beard, walks with a limp" etc...THAT is a proper description. I don't think that LE operates based on descriptions that only list a suspects race. However, when combined with a list of other unique features, I believe race is certainly a factor to list. Sorta goes without say...
Well, in that case they could release the information. This would apply only when the race of the suspect is known, but no other identifiable traits are known. As far as I'm concerned if you know only the race of the suspect, then you have no description, and thats the way it should be reported. This is a very good rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events