Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 04:33 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Is anybody really naive enough to believe these places are legitimately and ethically run? We have a dog track in the town I grew up in and only the shadiest and trashiest people would go there. Its the same crowd Id expect to be attending dog fights....

This ^^^!

The AKC being in charge of puppy mill inspection is a bit like putting the fox in charge of the hen house!

I have seen AKC approved "dog breeding facilities" and they are horrendous.

I'll spare you the details. GOOGLE if you are interested.

And thatguydownsouth has nailed it - they are run by the shadiest and trashiest people you will ever encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 05:04 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
They are an entity that promotes breeding of thousands of very expensive pure bred dogs, while at the same time thousands of other less fortunate and homeless dogs are put to sleep in 'shelters' across the country. The problem I have with the AKC is, they don't seem to have a problem with that.
I have more problems than that with the AKC. They have been instrumental in destroying several breeds of dogs by breeding for form rather than function. There are several dog breed organizations that actively try to prevent AKC recognition of their breed because of the damage that "dog shows" do. They got a wake-up call when the Border Collie Breed Association sued to prevent AKC recognition of the breed for just that reason. The BCBA lost, but it sent a clear message to the AKC that their money grubbing destruction of dog breeds had some real opposition. They have added field trials and agility trials, but still judge on artificial and destructive appearance standards.

Many breed associations have moved to organizations like NAVHDA and the CKC to maintain their breed books. The best examples of sporting and working dogs are no longer found in the AKC registry.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:10 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The HSUS is the biggest fraud around, and any "investigation" they conduct is highly suspect, in my opinion.

The AKC is a dog registry. Plain and simple.

The HSUS takes in gobs of money and doesn't benefit dogs AT ALL.

So if you'd like to point out the group that cares more about money than the welfare of dogs, it would be the HSUS.
You're serious? You're actually serious? Someone who finds fault w/the humane society. Absolutely pathetic belief you got going on there.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:21 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
They don't which is why I compare them to the KKK. Like that horrible murderous hate group they also cause death. Sure it's not directly but they cause deaths if other dogs (including purebreds)are put to sleep because there aren't enough homes for them because those homes are taken by puppy mill dogs. One can argue that these were people that wouldn't adopt shelter dogs but that's not the case. Many would if they had less exposure to dogs at pet stores.
Certainly if we could get people to quit buying dogs at pet stores the puppy mills would be out of business. It would help a lot of people had more exposure to shelters and shelter dogs. A dog that has been abandoned and homeless knows what it means to be adopted. They bond fiercely with the family that gives them a home. Right now I have a chocolate Lab and an English springer spaniel that I adopted. In the past I adopted a large Muensterlander. All of these were purebred dogs with no behavior problems. Their main physical problem was that they had been starved nearly to death. It takes an adopted dog a while to settle in and realize that this is their forever home, but once they do you have a friend for life.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
The HSUS is the biggest fraud around, and any "investigation" they conduct is highly suspect, in my opinion.

So if you'd like to point out the group that cares more about money than the welfare of dogs, it would be the HSUS.

Don't get me started on the Humane Society--I've already recounted my beefs with them here. Sadly, the welfare of animals isn't always their priority.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
AKC is really the dog version of the KKK. Yes harsh but they would love to see mutts killed because they aren't purebred.
Such ignorance. Please show me any proof that this is true.

In fact, I just competed in an AKC event where there were AKC registered "mutts". And not once did anyone call for them to be killed.

The HSUS on the other hand stands by while dogs are killed, in spite of raising money under the pretense of saving them.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:32 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You're serious? You're actually serious? Someone who finds fault w/the humane society. Absolutely pathetic belief you got going on there.
Actually, what is pathetic is the ignorance of the general public about the HSUS. I'm not talking about the local Humane Society, that does great things.

Educate yourself about the evil organization that is the HSUS, then get back to me.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
Quote:
Such ignorance. Please show me any proof that this is true.

In fact, I just competed in an AKC event where there were AKC registered "mutts". And not once did anyone call for them to be killed.

The HSUS on the other hand stands by while dogs are killed, in spite of raising money under the pretense of saving them.
It's fact. Otherwise they would not allow puppy mills.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:41 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:

HSUS is an animal-rights organization, pure and simple. It has a political agenda, which is to prevent the use of any animal for anything. I don't care if you are a vegan who wears only sneakers; if you are an insulin-dependent diabetic, you need pig insulin, or you will die.

The AKC maintains the stud book for pure-bred dogs, as does DRA (fprmerly US Kennel Club). There are cat registries, and livestock registries...they all maintain the studbook for their breed(s). This is a valuable service. The have nothing to do with the conditions on a breeder's premises; their only concern is which dog is the sire, and which is the dam, and whether the breed is being perpetrated correctly (through AKC-sanctioned conformation shows).

This is just a political rant by an animal-rights group.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:27 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A puppy mill bill failed last year in NC. Here is one story about the AKC's opposition to it.
AKC has concerns about puppy mill proposals in NC - WNCN: News, Weather, Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville

Thank you for the story do you know if the proposal ever passed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events