Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:39 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This ^^^!

The AKC being in charge of puppy mill inspection is a bit like putting the fox in charge of the hen house!

I have seen AKC approved "dog breeding facilities" and they are horrendous.

I'll spare you the details. GOOGLE if you are interested.

And thatguydownsouth has nailed it - they are run by the shadiest and trashiest people you will ever encounter.
Let me talk real slow for you, since you're having difficulty understanding....AKC is a registration organization. When they do inspections, it is to inspect that the kennel is doing the appropriate record keeping. They do not have the authority to shut down a puppy mill because of poor conditions. If you want to blame someone for THAT, blame the local authorities or the USDA.

It's obvious that some folks have been duped by the cutesy commercials, and propaganda sprewed forth by the HSUS.

And please, share the AKC "approved" dog breeding facilities that you have seen. I can guarantee there are NONE. Why? Because they don't approve anything. But lets not let facts get in the way of a good hate fest.

In the meantime, I'll continue to compete in AKC sanctioned events that encourage training and good behavior, and is filled with purebred and mixed breed dogs, many of whom, mine included, are rescues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have more problems than that with the AKC. They have been instrumental in destroying several breeds of dogs by breeding for form rather than function. There are several dog breed organizations that actively try to prevent AKC recognition of their breed because of the damage that "dog shows" do. They got a wake-up call when the Border Collie Breed Association sued to prevent AKC recognition of the breed for just that reason. The BCBA lost, but it sent a clear message to the AKC that their money grubbing destruction of dog breeds had some real opposition. They have added field trials and agility trials, but still judge on artificial and destructive appearance standards.

Many breed associations have moved to organizations like NAVHDA and the CKC to maintain their breed books. The best examples of sporting and working dogs are no longer found in the AKC registry.

I agree I hate what dog shows have done to some breed of dogs. Like the German Shepherd with it's badly sloping back, the bulldog which now cannot even mate without medical help, the pug who's face is bred so flat it can barely breathe, and the pekingese which is bred to have eyes so large and shallow they can actually pop out of their sockets .

Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Don't get me started on the Humane Society--I've already recounted my beefs with them here. Sadly, the welfare of animals isn't always their priority.

Please do get started I would like more info on what is wrong with the humane society or any other charity that is supposed to do good. Can you and ringwise explain more about it?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Actually, what is pathetic is the ignorance of the general public about the HSUS. I'm not talking about the local Humane Society, that does great things.

Educate yourself about the evil organization that is the HSUS, then get back to me.
I have an idea. Why don't you tell us all this wisdom that you have instead of coming on a thread, berating an organization & then refusing to back up your insults.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:48 AM

159 posts, read 169,155 times
The HSUS has had its charity rating revoked and now has a donor advisory warning.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
The HSUS has had its charity rating revoked and now has a donor advisory warning.

I just looked it up . The website CharityNavigator issued a donor advisory against them after they had to pay the circus Barnum & Bailey 15 million dollars for losing an animal abuse lawsiut they filed against them, but before that they were not well rated because they spend 50 cents of every dollar donated on "overhead" . I would not donate to any charity that basically spends most of the money on fancy parties, high employee salaries and who knows what else. This charity basically keeps most of the money for itself and does not help it's underfunded smaller local shelters .

Charity Navigator Issues

HumaneWatch | Press Release: Wasteful HSUS Earns a Spot on Charity Watchdogs’ ‘Naughty’ Lists

Update: I also just found this article in which the president of the Humane society says " We never said we funded animal shelters" and points to a small discliamer in print which reads " local Humane Societies are independent from HSUS. "

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011...e_news_71.html

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-03-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Please do get started I would like more info on what is wrong with the humane society or any other charity that is supposed to do good. Can you and ringwise explain more about it?
You do the research. I've already posted on other forums about my disenchantment with some of these "animal welfare" agencies; I don't intend to do it again.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for the story do you know if the proposal ever passed?
The 2014 bill did not pass. A new one is expected to be introduced in the new session.
Puppy mill regulation to return to lawmakers' agenda :: WRAL.com

Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I have an idea. Why don't you tell us all this wisdom that you have instead of coming on a thread, berating an organization & then refusing to back up your insults.
Alrighty then.

41% of their money goes to marketing, advertising and fundraising. NOT to animals.

31% of their money goes to salaries, compensation and benefits. NOT to animals.

They have 636 employees, with 50 of them being lawyers.

They recently put $11 million into their executive pension fund.

NOT insults, facts. But if you want to waste your money lining the pockets of an organization whose CEO does not like animals at all, then go right ahead.

But don't do that, then turn around and berate an organization that does NOT accept donated money to pad their retirements. I can also guarantee that there is not one person at the AKC that does not love dogs. The AKC hires from its ranks, and those ranks are passionate about dogs.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The 2014 bill did not pass. A new one is expected to be introduced in the new session.
Puppy mill regulation to return to lawmakers' agenda :: WRAL.com
Thank you for your post again. I found this part of the article about the American Kennel Club on this issue interesting

"The bill would not apply to dogs being bred or kept as hunting dogs or show dogs and would only apply to breeders with 10 or more breeding females on the premises.

But the AKC has said it is unfair to regulate breeders more stringently than other dog owners, and it has objected to any state inspection of facilities
.''

The AKC does not seem to understand that owners of a puppy mill should be treated differently from other dog owners because they are not keeping dogs as pets, but as property used for profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events