Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:09 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times

Advertisements

DST is like a different time zone. If we're going to get rid of it, I vote that we should go whole hog and get rid of time zones. Without time zones, there would be no need for DST, and it would be meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
From Last Night's John Oliver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=br0NW9ufUUw

Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,614 times
stop whining, we fast forwarded an hour closer to spring.

I actually had to work on sunday morning and I survived.

people love to complain about the stupidest crap.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:34 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
stop whining, we fast forwarded an hour closer to spring.

I actually had to work on sunday morning and I survived.

people love to complain about the stupidest crap.
Completely agree. People act like it's the end of the world but it happens every year. And of course no one complained as much in fall. This talk will subside in a week or two.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
I picked a really bad weekend to party until 5am.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:42 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,530 times
If there was ever any point in changing clocks twice a year, it has long since passed. It's pointless, it's ridiculous, and it messes with people's circadian rhythms. There are bills in at least half a dozen states proposing an end to this nonsense. I wish something would come of it. The problem is, most people seem to forget about it once they've adjusted to the time shift -- until the next time they have to move their clocks around.

It gets dark so early here in Seattle in the winter that I'd be in favor of year-round daylight-saving time. We now do it, what, eight months out of the year already? But I could live with either DST or standard -- just leave the clocks alone.

BTW, this is your public service announcement that it's daylight saving time, not daylight savings. The idea is that you're saving daylight. You're not putting the light in a savings account.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I didn't lose an hour of sleep; I just went to bed an hour earlier.

I do agree we should stop this nonsense and preferably leave clocks on Daylight Savings Time since I prefer more light in the evenings than mornings
AMEN! I love having 3 hours of sunlight (sometimes 4 almost 5) after I get home from work. Love IT. Let's do it year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
At 8:30 last night, I set the clocks ahead, then went to bed at 9:35.
At about 10:15 I put the book down and turned the light off.
I did not lose any sleep at all.
In fact, I managed to sleep in about an hour, so I actually got an extra hour of sleep!
Are there really people who set their alarms for 2 AM, get up and reset the clocks, then go back to sleep?
I have never understood the wailing and crying over this. It takes 5 minutes or less to reset all the clocks in the house, and my wristwatch. Then today it will take a couple of minutes to reset the clocks in the vehicles. The computers and cell phones automatically reset.
I just don't understand the problem.
Me either. This is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I slept till noon on Sunday, don't remember if it was the old noon or the new noon. Yawn.

Soon I will be able to go hiking after work, I need the sun set to be after 8 for that to work.
YES! That's what I'm looking forward to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yeah, but the extra hour of daylight will help all this damn snow on the ground melt faster!
Ummmm. Joke?

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
I wish it would go away, and the time stay like it is now. If it continues I wish they'd make the time change happen at two in the afternoon on a non-holiday weekday.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Completely agree. People act like it's the end of the world but it happens every year. And of course no one complained as much in fall. This talk will subside in a week or two.
The fall is the worst because you lose out on it being daytime when you don't have to work.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:06 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The fall is the worst because you lose out on it being daytime when you don't have to work.
Personally I dislike it more in fall but the actual adjustment in the mornings isn't as bad. I just see a lot more facebook posts and articles about DST in spring than in fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events