Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
You might now be realizing that MissTerri does not appear to care what anyone really says, the sole focus is on one picture as if that is the only criteria by which this topic can be discussed. That anyone who has no problem or objection to breastfeeding in public but who can, as a reasonable human being acknowledge that others could, for personal reasons known only to them, is completely unacceptable it seems. Therefore, even addressing that individual with reasoning is an effort in futility. The horse has died, it has been beaten and buried, now it comes to digging it up to beat it some more.
Not true. You can stop making this personal. I just want to know why people would insist that the woman in the photo needs a blanket. No one will answer that question. There is nothing showing that would be considered offensive from what I can tell. I don't understand how a blanket would make it better. I am truly trying to understand what it is about adding a blanket that suddenly makes it more acceptable. Is it because it's an added barrier? What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 04:38 PM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hahahaha, you're comparing breastfeeding to interracial or gay couples? Really? Oh give me a break. It's not too much to cover up when you're feeding, period.
And yet you have nothing to say, nothing except: Oh gee, it's not too much trouble for a woman to cover herself (so I don't have to feel uncomfortable looking at her). No one owes you anything; a nursing mother is not responsible for alleviating your feelings of discomfort. If you don't like what you see, look away.

(And adding "period" does not strengthen your point; if anything, it's much like a toddler (not to insult toddlers) stamping his foot when he doesn't get his way.)

The point of the comparison, since you are either oblivious or feigning ignorance: Interracial couples and gay couples holding hands in public make some people feel very uncomfortable. This has decreased over the years, but it still exists. Some folks say it's not that they're anti-gay or whatever; they simply don't want to see these couples holding hands in public. In other words: Exist, but don't exist in my line of sight because the sight of you holding hands makes me feel uncomfortable. You are responsible for my feelings of discomfort; therefore, you should stop doing what you're doing so I can feel better.

That is the same thing you are saying about mothers who nurse normally, uncovered, in public. You feel uncomfortable observing them, so rather than simply look away, you continue to stare at them and insist they stop what they are doing -- to alleviate *your* feelings of discomfort, which you have brought upon yourself by staring in the first place.

Again, have your eye muscles stopped working? Are they somehow unable to look away from a stranger's nipples? If so, you have greater concerns (call the ophthalmologist) than a stranger minding her own business nursing her child uncovered in your vicinity.

I wish you good health.

Last edited by sydlee; 03-17-2015 at 04:49 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 04:40 PM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Everyone has answered that question, ad nauseum, some are too lazy to read the posts and just want to ask it over and over. Funny how questions are alright so long as you are the one asking, isn't it? Regardless, the OP opened the door to the general issue, not only one specific example. Try seeing the larger picture instead of just the narrow view.
No one has answered her question except to taunt her and say: Why are you still talking about that photo?

That is not a real answer.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not true. You can stop making this personal. I just want to know why people would insist that the woman in the photo needs a blanket. No one will answer that question. There is nothing showing that would be considered offensive from what I can tell. I don't understand how a blanket would make it better. I am truly trying to understand what it is about adding a blanket that suddenly makes it more acceptable. Is it because it's an added barrier? What is it?
I have noticed that no one has answered your question, so allow me:

Why does the woman in the photo need a blanket? She doesn't. She's being perfectly discreet.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have noticed that no one has answered your question, so allow me:

Why does the woman in the photo need a blanket? She doesn't. She's being perfectly discreet.
Thank you for answering this question. I agree with you 100%

Old 03-17-2015, 05:33 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
You will have to seek the answer to that elsewhere. I do not have a problem with it, even when a woman does not have nursing clothing and pop out the full arsenal, both barrels to bear on the child. I don't even get upset when it is difficult to tell the breast from the rest of the belly folds.

My point is and has always been that even those with irrational objections have the right to their opinion and deserve reasonable accommodation.
An irrational objection does NOT deserve any accommodation. It would lend validity to the objection to do so, as well as embolden these bullies to further acts of harassment against a mother and her nursing child.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleiris28 View Post
I'm a woman and don't understand their need to make a spectacle of themselves. Yes, she needs to feed her child, but at that age it's supposed to be a private, bonding experience between mother and child, which you cannot have in a public setting.

Yes, I understand that you can't always pick and choose where to feed your child when it's feeding time, but at least have the decency to cover yourself. Not only is it a matter of doing your best to make it that private, bonding time, but it's also in consideration of others (like the male flight attendant) who might feel uncomfortable. Yes, it is a natural and beautiful thing, but it was meant to be a private thing between mother and child.

So, while I certainly don't agree with the wording or attitude of Precious Bodily Fluids, I do have to agree with the comment about it being this "all about me" behavior. This is a problem in society as a whole -- and not just with breastfeeding moms. People only care about themselves, some want to bring attention to themselves to somehow make themselves feel more important, and they have lost their consideration for others.

All that said, I wouldn't personally feel uncomfortable at the sight of a breastfeeding mom because I know it's something she must do, no matter where she is. It's just a matter of how she's doing it. Is she being respectful of that bonding time as well as of those around her? I see boobs every day (have two myself LOL), so the sight of boobs is nothing to me, but I'm certainly not going to go flashing them to the public for any reason. If you think I'm being prudish, any man I've ever dated will disagree with you. LOL It's simply a matter of being respectful and considerate of others -- something society seems to have lost its way on.

Of course, the flight attendant could have been MUCH more considerate of the mom. He didn't handle that well at all. Instead of further making a spectacle of her and the situation, he should have confronted her directly (rather than her husband), quietly, privately, respectfully, and with some level of understanding. Since it was too hot and stuffy to cover up, was there possibly an empty flight attendant's chair she could have used that was in a more private setting? If not, could one of the flight attendants have switched places with her? Could the captain go ahead and turn the AC on? Like the airline's rep said, they're supposed to make them feel as comfortable as possible.
At this age, it is about FEEDING the baby. Bonding is a side benefit. People eat in public all the time. Bottle babies eat in public all the time. Breastfed babies should have the same right.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I don't think women should be on planes with babies, unless it's an emergency or a valid reason. Nothing more annoying than an mother who does not know how to comfort and quiet down a child that is screaming/crying.
The mom in the story knew how to comfort and quiet down a baby ~ feed the baby. In this case, it happens to be a breastfed baby.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
No one has answered her question except to taunt her and say: Why are you still talking about that photo?

That is not a real answer.
Yes, it was answered. The answer was, if you bothered to follow along as required by the TOS that there was nothing indiscreet about that photo. If I must, I can find that post but do yourself the favor and go look yourself and avoid the embarrassment.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Year2525,

I get that you think it's ok to ask a nursing mother to cover up, out of respect.
So what if someone came up and asked you to stop eating in public because they are disgusted by the way you look eating. Or what if someone walks up to you on the beach and ask you to please cover up since you are too fat to be there. It's really no difference since we are talking about other peoples discomforts.

You have as much right to be on the beach or eat in public as anyone else , just like a baby has the right to eat without being covered in a blanket.....or scarf....
I wrote this before. My baby would squirm like crazy and do her best to remove any blanket covering her. We as nursing mothers are not trying to make others feels uncomfortable. Our only worry is our babies.

People have the right to ask you to stop doing these things, but they are the once being unreasonable, not you.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-17-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events