Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I have noticed that no one has answered your question, so allow me:

Why does the woman in the photo need a blanket? She doesn't. She's being perfectly discreet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thank you for answering this question. I agree with you 100%
I agree as well. Those special breastfeeding shirts don't require additional cover. In the OP it was mentioned that the woman on the flight was wearing one of these.

I have to laugh at how off the rails this thread has gone because in another section, a poster started a thread on which topics people avoid posting on, because of strong of reaction, breastfeeding was a topic mentioned, lol.

Last edited by detshen; 03-17-2015 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
I hate the topic myself. But I have to say, it's one of those topic that has nothing to do with politics. People who are for or against public breast feeding , being covered or not, is strictly personal. I have very religious conservative family members who are all for breast feeding in public without any blankets or covers. Then I have very liberal family members that are much more discrete. It's just a personal matter.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Hahahaha, you're comparing breastfeeding to interracial or gay couples? Really? Oh give me a break. It's not too much to cover up when you're feeding, period.
Is it too much to cover up? Maybe not. Is it too much to look away? My question is this: why is everyone looking? I have never understood this. I've been sitting with groups of nursing moms & not seen unfamiliar nipples. I mean, there comes a point where people must be trying really hard to see. Is it a game? "Find the Nip" is all the rage? And, you do all realize you see nipples every time a man goes shirtless. It's not like they're rare. Pretty much everyone has them. It's really weird that so many people are so fixated & working so hard to spy a couple.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:09 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Year2525,

I get that you think it's ok to ask a nursing mother to cover up, out of respect.
So what if someone came up and asked you to stop eating in public because they are disgusted by the way you look eating. Or what if someone walks up to you on the beach and ask you to please cover up since you are too fat to be there. It's really no difference since we are talking about other peoples discomforts.

You have as much right to be on the beach or eat in public as anyone else , just like a baby has the right to eat without being covered in a blanket.....or scarf....
I wrote this before. My baby would squirm like crazy and do her best to remove any blanket covering her. We as nursing mothers are not trying to make others feels uncomfortable. Our only worry is our babies.

People have the right to ask you to stop doing these things, but they are the once being unreasonable, not you.
If someone were to walk up to me as ask me to stop eating on the beach, I'd simply say no and then, as if it never happened, forget about it and continue eating. It was just a question, it didn't harm me or anyone else and carries no significance beyond the 1 second out of my life, between mouthfuls of something delicious I was eating. That probably bothers some to no end because to them, the mere thought of anyone daring to ask them a question causes offense, condemnation and ruins their day. Such small world's they live in. People like that should really stay home, the world is full of people who will ask them questions, from the beggar on the street asking for money to for crying out loud, someone who might ask them to cover for who know what reason. Stay home, then their day won't be ruined because someone asked them something. Keep the baby home to or it might get exposed to such nonsense from it's parent and grow up the same way.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
If someone were to walk up to me as ask me to stop eating on the beach, I'd simply say no and then, as if it never happened, forget about it and continue eating. It was just a question, it didn't harm me or anyone else and carries no significance beyond the 1 second out of my life, between mouthfuls of something delicious I was eating. That probably bothers some to no end because to them, the mere thought of anyone daring to ask them a question causes offense, condemnation and ruins their day. Such small world's they live in. People like that should really stay home, the world is full of people who will ask them questions, from the beggar on the street asking for money to for crying out loud, someone who might ask them to cover for who know what reason. Stay home, then their day won't be ruined because someone asked them something. Keep the baby home to or it might get exposed to such nonsense from it's parent and grow up the same way.

Ok...so you just think you should be able to confront anybody for whatever reason, and ask them to stop doing something, just because you can?

Are you even bothered by nursing babies at all?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-17-2015 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM

555 posts, read 804,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Yes, it was answered. The answer was, if you bothered to follow along as required by the TOS that there was nothing indiscreet about that photo. If I must, I can find that post but do yourself the favor and go look yourself and avoid the embarrassment.

Well for once, I quite agree; Petunia 100 several posts back said there was nothing offensive or indiscreet about the photo MissTerri asked about. Finally, someone rational has addressed MissTerri's question.

I'm not embarrassed by this conversation, but I thank you for your concern. In fact, it's been interesting to see how people project their own issues and social/sexual hangups onto strangers who just happen to be in their line of sight: women minding their own business nursing their baby in public. Judging from this thread, it's clear a lot of folks who find the idea of nursing children uncovered in public apparently are very, very embarrassed by their own feelings of discomfort. It's too bad they expect other people around them to soothe their discomfort for them, when it is they who have brought their own discomfort upon themselves by staring at a woman's nipples in the first place, when they can easily alleviate their own discomfort simply by looking away. Maybe one day they will figure out it is they -- and not the nursing mother -- who have ultimate control over their eye muscles.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ok...so you just think you should be able to confront anybody for whatever reason, and ask them to stop doing something, just because you can?

Are you even bothered by nursing babies at all?
Part of living in a free society is yes, being able to ask anyone in a public place whatever I want. They have the freedom to ignore or reply as they wish. Maybe you think that now that fundamental right doesn't count because you don't like it? I seriously suggest you read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights along with the rulings of the Supreme Court handed down regarding the. Then as others have tried but as a result, only demonstrating extreme points of view, you characterize a, question as a "confrontation". Nice move but really, confrontation? Now to you last question and like many others, following the thread isn't something you've done either, I am not bothered by babies breast feeding in public, next to me, across from me or anything like that. I am also not bothered by questions from people in public because it is in public. If I don't want to risk someone asking me a question then I could too, stay home. But the world has so much to offer and being offended because some asked me a question would be ridiculous, as it should be and as it is for anyone else, including breast feeding mothers.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Whether or not one is offended by a question depends upon the nature of the question. Not all questions are value neutral.

"You want a DIET Coke, don't you?" is just a question, but it's loaded with judgement and inferences when it's directed to an overweight person, who happens to have a regular Coke in front of them. Likewise, "Would you please use a blanket while breast feeding? I don't want to see that" when a woman is minding her own business and feeding her child, is offensive, and depending upon delivering, could definitely be seen as confrontational. If the flight attendant did indeed throw blankets at the woman's husband, I'd say his actions qualified as such.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:27 PM

Glass of merlot, do you support or otherwise agree with the idea that asking someone a question in a public place should be controlled, deemed harmful and prohibited? If so, do you have a list or criteria or does it only apply to those asking a breast feeding mother a question?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Now, if I were breast feeding a child without a cover on an airplane, and a flight attendant, who was going about his business and making his appointed rounds, happened to stop at my row, lean over and politely ask, in a low voice, "Ma'am, would you care for a blanket for your child?" I would not take immediate offense. I would smile and say, "No thank you, we're fine. Thanks anyway" and turn back to my child. If his response to that was, "Okay, just checking, have a great flight" and smiled and walked away, that would be the end of it. In my mind, I might be thinking "Geez dude, don't you think I'd already be using one if I wanted one?" but really, if his attitude seemed to be one of concern and not judgement, that's okay.

Based on this thread, though, my sense of people who would ask a woman to cover herself in public, makes me think that they're not doing so in such polite terms, or with any thought or care about the comfort of the woman or the child. They are only thinking of themselves, and their own comfort level. They're making negative judgements about the woman as she is at the moment, uncovered. And if that's their belief, and they open their mouths to share their thoughts, then yes, it's likely going to come off as confrontational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events