Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,632,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
If someone were to walk up to me as ask me to stop eating on the beach, I'd simply say no and then, as if it never happened, forget about it and continue eating. It was just a question, it didn't harm me or anyone else and carries no significance beyond the 1 second out of my life, between mouthfuls of something delicious I was eating. That probably bothers some to no end because to them, the mere thought of anyone daring to ask them a question causes offense, condemnation and ruins their day. Such small world's they live in. People like that should really stay home, the world is full of people who will ask them questions, from the beggar on the street asking for money to for crying out loud, someone who might ask them to cover for who know what reason. Stay home, then their day won't be ruined because someone asked them something. Keep the baby home to or it might get exposed to such nonsense from it's parent and grow up the same way.
How about if you were a paying customer in a restaurant, and a waiter walked up to you and threw a towel at you, saying loudly "Please put this over your face. No one should have to watch you eating!"

Would you simply say no and then continue eating as if it had never happened, thinking nothing more of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:56 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
How about if you were a paying customer in a restaurant, and a waiter walked up to you and threw a towel at you, saying loudly "Please put this over your face. No one should have to watch you eating!"

Would you simply say no and then continue eating as if it had never happened, thinking nothing more of it?
What ifs can go on forever without purpose can't they? The behavior of the FA specifically has already been addressed, very many times, please go read those posts and be informed, really. Your question demonstrates either an ignorance of or a willingness to ignore the rules of how the forum works. Nevertheless, were the situation you described to happen, I would immediately contact the management and complain. I would not run to the media. Now, I have shown you far more courtesy in answering a rather twisted question (you are changing the situation to suit you agenda, which is obvious) so now reply further and say that regardless of the posts you make after this, even if they are direct questions to me, I'll ignore them. Maybe you'll figure out why.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 AM

This is getting funny. Now it has become wait staff throwing blankets at people eating. Sure seems like desperation. Even so, how about a lesson in critical thinking? The restaurant invites people in for the explicit purpose to eat. Then for wait staff to complain how a customer eats is indeed wrong. However, the airline did not invite the woman to do anything but fly. Being more specific, if someone goes into a restaurant and eats in a manner that ends up offending others, yes, saying something about it and even asking that customer to use better manners or be more discrete is acceptable, just as it would be were a parent to bring in their baby and then allow the baby to throw food at everyone else there and not trying to prevent it. The throwing of a blanket is a separate issue, having already been addressed on this thread numerous times, some people just can't stand it and feel the need to start the endless progression of what ifs. That demonstrates the desperation and futility of those doing so.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:17 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,703 times
Even after 68 pages, mothers are still legally able to feed their babies however they choose, wherever they are allowed to be, covered or not. You can ask, demand, huff, puff, demon stare, take your toys and go home, whatever. It's still legal. If this is the sort of thing that causes you great suffering or outrage, you must have extremely manicured lawns that are off limits to all those darn kids.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 AM

555 posts, read 803,905 times
Quote:
Part of living in a free society is yes, being able to ask anyone in a public place whatever I want. They have the freedom to ignore or reply as they wish. Maybe you think that now that fundamental right doesn't count because you don't like it? I seriously suggest you read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights along with the rulings of the Supreme Court handed down regarding the. Then as others have tried but as a result, only demonstrating extreme points of view, you characterize a, question as a "confrontation". Nice move but really, confrontation? Now to you last question and like many others, following the thread isn't something you've done either, I am not bothered by babies breast feeding in public, next to me, across from me or anything like that. I am also not bothered by questions from people in public because it is in public. If I don't want to risk someone asking me a question then I could too, stay home. But the world has so much to offer and being offended because some asked me a question would be ridiculous, as it should be and as it is for anyone else, including breast feeding mothers.
Your sweeping statement is incorrect:

United States free speech exceptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And BTW, the majority of this thread, if *you* had been following it (and you do so love to randomly accuse others of not doing so), has been focused first and foremost on whether or not women should nurse in public, especially uncovered; freedom of speech has been a secondary, minor point in this thread.

For some reason, you feel a need to steer this thread in a completely different, new direction focused on freedom of speech. Perhaps you feel more comfortable discussing a topic other than nursing in public. If that's the case, you may want to consider beginning a new thread devoted to your different topic.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 AM

555 posts, read 803,905 times
Quote:
This is getting funny. Now it has become wait staff throwing blankets at people eating. Sure seems like desperation. Even so, how about a lesson in critical thinking? The restaurant invites people in for the explicit purpose to eat. Then for wait staff to complain how a customer eats is indeed wrong. However, the airline did not invite the woman to do anything but fly. Being more specific, if someone goes into a restaurant and eats in a manner that ends up offending others, yes, saying something about it and even asking that customer to use better manners or be more discrete is acceptable, just as it would be were a parent to bring in their baby and then allow the baby to throw food at everyone else there and not trying to prevent it. The throwing of a blanket is a separate issue, having already been addressed on this thread numerous times, some people just can't stand it and feel the need to start the endless progression of what ifs. That demonstrates the desperation and futility of those doing so.
The airline quite often invites people to eat and drink on board. Perhaps you've not flown before and do not know this. People flying quite often have drinks and snacks offered to them, and possibly a meal or two, depending on the length of the flight. Some children on board, also customers, consume food, too -- via nursing. So according to your logic, airline personnel are wrong to complain about a nursing child, since "for wait staff to complain how a customer eats is indeed wrong."

Most of the people on this thread who protest a woman nursing in public uncovered have said, time and again, that a woman nursing in public should cover herself with a blanket. Yet the same folks who say this cannot explain why covering oneself with a blanket is necessary (other than to say they don't like to look at a nursing woman, other than to say germs are more likely to reach an uncovered, nursing child). These same people have not fully addressed legitimate comparisons of insisting a child be covered with a blanket while drinking, with insisting an adult be covered with a blanket while that adult is eating/drinking. Most people can agree insisting an adult cover him/herself with a blanket while consuming food in public is unreasonable, which is why people are making the comparison: Why then do you insist a nursing child consuming food in public be covered? This comparison has not been adequately addressed. Your dismissal of the blanket as "a separate issue" that's "already been addressed on this thread numerous times is misleading.

I look forward to what I hope will be a considerably more substantive contribution on your part to this discussion.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM

Sydlee, the fact that you highlight only specific texts demonstrates clearly the reluctance to do more than cherry pick for an agenda. Surely you can do better.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 AM

Some please point out the illegality of asking a breastfeeding woman to cover. No such thing exists. It doesn't matter if you don't like someone asking, they have the right.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:57 AM

No, the airline does not invite anyone to fly explicitly to eat, it is to fly. A woman has the right to breastfeed, anyone has the right to ask her to cover. Now, can anyone prove that isn't true?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
The airline quite often invites people to eat and drink on board. Perhaps you've not flown before and do not know this. People flying quite often have drinks and snacks offered to them, and possibly a meal or two, depending on the length of the flight. Some children on board, also customers, consume food, too -- via nursing. So according to your logic, airline personnel are wrong to complain about a nursing child, since "for wait staff to complain how a customer eats is indeed wrong."

Most of the people on this thread who protest a woman nursing in public uncovered have said, time and again, that a woman nursing in public should cover herself with a blanket. Yet the same folks who say this cannot explain why covering oneself with a blanket is necessary (other than to say they don't like to look at a nursing woman, other than to say germs are more likely to reach an uncovered, nursing child). These same people have not fully addressed legitimate comparisons of insisting a child be covered with a blanket while drinking, with insisting an adult be covered with a blanket while that adult is eating/drinking. Most people can agree insisting an adult cover him/herself with a blanket while consuming food in public is unreasonable, which is why people are making the comparison: Why then do you insist a nursing child consuming food in public be covered? This comparison has not been adequately addressed. Your dismissal of the blanket as "a separate issue" that's "already been addressed on this thread numerous times is misleading.

I look forward to what I hope will be a considerably more substantive contribution on your part to this discussion.
I believe you are trolling. Instead, look backward, everything you want it there, jumping in at the end and proving anything other than you are late to the party is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events