Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times

Advertisements

Good for her, at the least a 'symbolic' gesture.

No one should have to tolerate racist, sexist, mean spirited statements and have people brush over them with the usual "get a thicker skin" malarkey.

Ashley Judd to press charges over vulgar tweets during Kentucky game - LA Times

Quote:
Actress Ashley Judd said she's pressing charges against the cyberbullies who explicitly attacked her on social media over a tweet she posted during the SEC championship game Sunday between Kentucky and Arkansas.

"Everyone needs to take personal responsibility for what they write and not allowing this misinterpretation and shaming culture on social media to persist," Judd said Monday on “MSNBC Live with Thomas Roberts.” "And by the way, I'm pressing charges."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

No one should have to tolerate racist, sexist, mean spirited statements and have people brush over them with the usual "get a thicker skin" malarkey.

Maybe just don't use social media sites! Problem solved........

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
No, maybe people need to control themselves instead of acting like immature aholes who feel the need to insult or threaten people online simply because they're mad about something someone said about their sports team. Talk about overreacting. Give me a break.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,218,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I don't like that as an option because you basically cede the internet/twitter/social media to a**holes.

Its like finding a new playground instead of fighting for access to the one you always used or have a right to. My parents were definitely of the 'be a bigger person/walk away stripe' but with age I realize that only serves the bullies & sociopaths of the world. Call a spade a spade & let them answer for their behavior. I'm sure they are simply misunderstood> or they will find an excuse for why they are in fact the real victims...

Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

506 posts, read 427,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Yeah, people should have to tolerate racist, sexist and mean spirited statements.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
While I sympathize with Judd and the victims of cyber bullying, her lawsuit will be tossed for the joke that it is.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
They're just Internet comments. Big deal. As far as I'm concerned, "cyberbullying" is a total myth. Free speech, as in absolute free speech, is how it should be. Self-police the ones you don't like. Otherwise, people will start using proxy servers etc to make it nigh impossible, and good for them I say.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Sounds like she started it.
Quote:
A diehard Kentucky fan, Judd was on hand at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville for the Wildcats' 78-63 victory over Arkansas and was tweeting during the game. At one point, she sent out a tweet criticizing the Razorbacks' style of play. That tweet has since been deleted, but she described it to NBC News.

"If I were in a more calm state of mind, I might have phrased [it] differently," Judd told Roberts. "I might have said, 'I feel really disappointed with what seems [like] ultra-aggressive play.' Instead, what I wrote [was], 'I think Arkansas is playing dirty.'"
I wonder exactly how she "phrased" it.

* Disclaimer
Not defending the offensive "tweeters."

*Further Disclaimer
People who tweet at games oughtta be thrown out.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:21 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
They're just Internet comments. Big deal. As far as I'm concerned, "cyberbullying" is a total myth. Free speech, as in absolute free speech, is how it should be. Self-police the ones you don't like. Otherwise, people will start using proxy servers etc to make it nigh impossible, and good for them I say.
Free speech does not include communicating threats.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:34 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
*Further Disclaimer
People who tweet at games oughtta be thrown out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events