Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The best way to handle that sort of blackmail is to say, "Yeah, I did that. So what?" If they make stuff up sue them for slander. If they keep it up call the cops. Better yet call the cops anyway.
Exactly. You take the power away from manipulative people when you say that. Its like when you are a kid and you get bullied about something. As soon as you say, "Yeah, so what?" most people back off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My guess (based on conversations with hundreds of people I've heard make similar statements) is that your understanding of Mormonism is about 10% fact-based and about 90% myth. I have no doubt but that you consider yourself to be pretty well-informed as to what Mormons believe, but trust me, you're not.
Mormon beliefs are pretty well known.

They believe God used to be a man on another planet.

That man became God after pleasing the God of that planet by following all the rules. So this new God and his wife, now a Goddess, came to this world where they had offspring in heaven. Who were those spirit offspring? Jesus, Satan and all the people of this world. We were born in preexistence. So then all these preexisting spirits inhabit all the newborn babies of the world. THEN if these babies grow up and tithe 10% or more to the Mormon church they too can become Gods of their own planets and start the whole thing over again.

After all of that^^^then Mormonism incorporates the Christian take on Jesus Christ.

Did I miss anything?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:28 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exactly. You take the power away from manipulative people when you say that. Its like when you are a kid and you get bullied about something. As soon as you say, "Yeah, so what?" most people back off.
They have information that can ruin people's lives and careers, that they save from those "auditing sessions".

Old 04-03-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Bring up your concerns about Mormonism in the Religion forum.
Why didn't you?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I realize this question was not addressed to me, but forgive me if I want to answer it. It is a public forum after all.

That said, my own personal objection to, specifically, christianity and islam, is that they wish to impose their beliefs on others in the form of civil laws. Orthodox jews have some strange rules about their sabbath, which is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. They can't do business. They can't handle money. I don't even think they're allowed to use technology.

And while I think judaism is as misguided as christianity or islam, other than using them as an example as I'm doing here, you'll never see me say a word about them.

Why? Because I have never ONCE seen an orthodox jew propose that their sabbith rules, or any of their other rules or traditions, be forced upon me by civil law. If and when christianity and islam stops trying to take over the government and forcing me to live by their laws, I'll never say a word about them, either.

PS.... In the event you think I'm wrong, see the whole same sex marriage thing. I don't have a horse in that race, I'm a happily married heterosexual male. But I think homosexuals have the absolute right to get married to the person of their choice, regardless of gender, as long as that person is a consenting adult. But (mostly) christianity is absolutely determined that THEIR view ought be society's view. Sorry, not in this country.
That's gone way OT but it might interest you to know that I have a lesbian daughter who married her partner, now wife, quite some years ago. My wife (not her mother) and I love both of them. They're good for one another.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They have information that can ruin people's lives and careers, that they save from those "auditing sessions".
I understand that but if people would just say, "Go ahead" it would take the power away from their manipulators.

I'm not saying its easy or fun, but just own it.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
John Wesley was just the L. Ron of his day.
No, he wasn't. Read about his life before you make this claim.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:44 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
One thing I don't understand is how people get sucked into giving up all their worldly possessions and wealth to join Co$, when the people that Co$ uses for publicity(Cruise and Travolta) do not seem to have given up that much themselves.

Gotta be pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
One thing I don't understand is how people get sucked into giving up all their worldly possessions and wealth to join Co$, when the people that Co$ uses for publicity(Cruise and Travolta) do not seem to have given up that much themselves.

Gotta be pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Vulnerable, not necessarily stupid.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM

283 posts, read 521,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
You are very, very scary.
Involuntary commitment in psychiatric hospitals (aka jail without probable cause or formal charge) is very, very scary. If you experienced being locked up like an animal for 11 days, lied to, manipulated and nearly forced institutionalized like I was a few years ago you'd understand my attitude. It's ironic that CCHR, a Scientology-funded civil liberties group, are the ones that helped give me clarity about my experience.

Quote:
There is nothing subjective about being psychotic or not being psychotic after taking meds.
Yes, there is. There's no objective medical standard for anything called 'psychosis' or 'mental illness'. It's relative to the culture and bias of the clinician, i.e. homosexuality was considered psychotic in the patriarchal 1960s; smug atheists in this thread would consider religious people psychotic.

Quote:
It's pretty much in your face. I'm ticked off because fools like you discourage people who are mentally ill to not seek the appropriate treatment.
In your face? Superficial behaviors don't prove medical illness. And FYI, I'm one of the "mentally ill" who refused "appropriate treatment" and I'm doing just fine, thank you.

Last edited by Pookie Jenkins; 04-03-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events