Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

So, I'm reading about the drought in California:

"Brown announced he had signed an executive order requiring the State Water Resources Control Board to implement measures in cities and towns to cut the state's overall water usage by 25 percent compared with 2013 levels. The move will affect residents, businesses, farmers and other users."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/2015...1dd9b77a7.html

My state (Tennessee) gets a lot of rain. Why don't states like mine go in the water business, that is, why don't they collect rain and sell it to California?

Last edited by LauraC; 04-02-2015 at 05:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
I live in the Northeast and have said that they need to build a pipeline from us to the southwest to carry away snowmelt and excessive rainwater. In reality though it would be too expensive and difficult to be practical. But why not bottle/tank the water and sell it? Still the amount you would be able to ship/truck there would probably make only a negligible difference in the drought.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I live in the Northeast and have said that they need to build a pipeline from us to the southwest to carry away snowmelt and excessive rainwater. In reality though it would be too expensive and difficult to be practical. But why not bottle/tank the water and sell it? Still the amount you would be able to ship/truck there would probably make only a negligible difference in the drought.

I know this. The Great Lakes states and Canada signed a pact stating that they will not allow water to be piped out of their watershed to places such as the southwest.

BTW, when ISN'T California under a drought? A good portion of it is arid, is it not? Secondly, I never understood the logic of relocating to the desert southwest and then complaining there is not enough water. DUH! It's a freakin' desert! Perhaps California should invest in desalinating and piping water in from the Pacific Ocean?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I know this. The Great Lakes states and Canada signed a pact stating that they will not allow water to be piped out of their watershed to places such as the southwest.

BTW, when ISN'T California under a drought? A good portion of it is arid, is it not? Secondly, I never understood the logic of relocating to the desert southwest and then complaining there is not enough water. DUH! It's a freakin' desert! Perhaps California should invest in desalinating and piping water in from the Pacific Ocean?
The environmentalists run CA and won't let them build desalination plants along the coast. This is why I do not feel sorry for them and the Feds should never spend a cent for them to get more water.

This year my yard is still full of debris from my trees because we have had so much rain, the ground is too soggy to get out there and clean it up. Eat your hearts out Californians.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The environmentalists run CA and won't let them build desalination plants along the coast. This is why I do not feel sorry for them and the Feds should never spend a cent for them to get more water.

This year my yard is still full of debris from my trees because we have had so much rain, the ground is too soggy to get out there and clean it up. Eat your hearts out Californians.

Looks as though the environmentalists may need to rethink their stance. Everyone needs water, and the Pacific is a rather large body of water. Utilize it! BTW the water levels in the Great Lakes are up. You have to wonder if water shortages reach epidemic proportions, will it cause a huge influx of folks migrating to the Great Lakes region to have access to fresh water? Or, will the Feds force their hand, and override our pact with Canada in not allowing water to be piped out of our watershed, and force the Great Lakes states to do so?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
As California's population increases, it is going to make things very interesting since more people almost always equates to greater water demand.

-------------------

Quote:
Looks as though the environmentalists may need to rethink their stance. Everyone needs water, and the Pacific is a rather large body of water. Utilize it! BTW the water levels in the Great Lakes are up. You have to wonder if water shortages reach epidemic proportions, will it cause a huge influx of folks migrating to the Great Lakes region to have access to fresh water? Or, will the Feds force their hand, and override our pact with Canada in not allowing water to be piped out of our watershed, and force the Great Lakes states to do so?
They can just use the water on the US side.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

Actually it is the Federales causing the drought.

The Man-Made California Drought - House Committee on Natural Resources

Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
California certainly isn't a "green state". The reap what they sow.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
That would never happen.

The USA can not "take" water form Canada.

The Great Lakes is a HUGE source of income for both Canada and the states bordering it.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
We are very lucky where we live in Michigan...........lots of great groundwater.

Last edited by Driller1; 04-02-2015 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events