Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:38 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,706,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Obviously, convenience. No need to go to a bank. And not everyone is paranoid about their spending history being tracked.
What does paranoia have to do with being cautious about where you toss around your personal info? I have to tell you i was pretty happy knowing i used cash at Target instead of a debit card when i heard about the "breach".

As far as convenience goes, it takes 2 seconds to stop at a bank and hit up the ATM, its not like you're never at the bank anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Food stamps are for FOOD....and they need to go back to the actual "stamps"...this is OUR tax money being spent nothings other than what it's intended for. It's shameful how folks are spending our hard-earned money on gambling, hookers, drugs and alcohol, because of the "debit card" nature of food stamps and welfare money.
I will go you one better.
I'd rather they actually get FOOD, no stamps, not debit cards.
Go to centralized location and pick up actual food.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
What does paranoia have to do with being cautious about where you toss around your personal info? I have to tell you i was pretty happy knowing i used cash at Target instead of a debit card when i heard about the "breach".

As far as convenience goes, it takes 2 seconds to stop at a bank and hit up the ATM, its not like you're never at the bank anyway.
You can have the convenience, security, and even get points/money by using a credit card and paying the balance every month.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:35 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Quote:

My credit card has been hijacked a few times. I'm covered for that. I prefer not to use my atm card very often in an effort to prevent my bank account from being wiped out.

I would not have done the deal withe homeless guy either. I prefer what they do with WIC where you get a voucher and are only allowed to get specific items.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:47 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,270,011 times
Quote:

If you don't want to think of it as being paranoid, then don't. IMO, that's what it is.

I can't remember the last time I went to the bank. Certainly months, and I think that was only to visit my safe deposit box. So yes, for me it is more convenient.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:50 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Thank you for not doing it. As a taxpayer, that behavior is unacceptable.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
I would have declined him as well. His offer sounds shady, and my instincts tell me to escape. There's a reason the government calls them Food Stamps. I don't know how or where welfare recipients get their toiletries. I get mine by working, not hustling shoppers in the store.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:11 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I will go you one better.
I'd rather they actually get FOOD, no stamps, not debit cards.
Go to centralized location and pick up actual food.
I will go you one better. I also rather they actually get FOOD, no argument there. While there can be centralized locations there could also be food trucks in the sense of mobile food supply hitting neighborhoods on regular days/hours.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:44 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
There are many homeless people who sell their food stamp card money for cash. They get free food at homeless shelters and churches and do not need it. For instance if your grocery bill will come to $75 they may offer to pay for it with their EBT card in exchange for much less than that in cash. That way you win and they win. Do you see?
Except that the taxpayers of the US lose.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
There are many homeless people who sell their food stamp card money for cash. They get free food at homeless shelters and churches and do not need it. For instance if your grocery bill will come to $75 they may offer to pay for it with their EBT card in exchange for much less than that in cash. That way you win and they win. Do you see?
I wonder if you see that participating is a fraud. Considering your position on law enforcement, what is another crime anyway?

http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index....amp_fraud.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events