Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM

165 posts, read 169,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Less than half the calories are from fat, so I don't see what the big deal is.
The calories aren't the problem. It's the ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
What a phony excuse. Lol...

Btw, healthy foods do make you gain weight tremendously.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Well, she is an idiot. Let's just say that.
I will however say that as an American who lives on what some feed their cat on, I can say that to eat really healthy, i.e. organic, all that, its expensive. I buy produce at the dollar store that would probably give my kids birth defects, if I have any, which I probably won't, because I don't choose to burden society with a child I can't take care of. I can barely take care of my self, being a full time student. But some people have, er. Different priorities.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:37 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Less than half the calories are from fat, so I don't see what the big deal is.
Yeah, 500 calories isn't that much when you consider it's a whole meal. That would only be about 1/5 of the daily value for a man and 1/4 for a woman. I'd say it's a bit of a light meal even, wouldn't be surprised if the salad had more calories.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,040 times
I am just curious which men were brave (or stupid) enough to mount such a woman.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:01 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How did I know this was in England before even clicking on this thread?
Because their welfare standards are WAY more lax than ours. Yet this doesn't stop people from equating it to the USA.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:33 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Yeah, 500 calories isn't that much when you consider it's a whole meal. That would only be about 1/5 of the daily value for a man and 1/4 for a woman. I'd say it's a bit of a light meal even, wouldn't be surprised if the salad had more calories.
Strange. 1/5 for a man? I went looking online and found that 2400-3000 calories COULD be right.

However, having several medical issues myself and having several in-hospitalizations, I can say this:
They rate a"regular diet" in the hospital as 1800 calories {or less}
They rate a "restricted diet' in the hospital at 1200 calories.
Now I will conceed that the 1800 calories may be due to the fact that one is less active while healing or recuperating.

I have had both regular and restricted diets {not for weight loss, but due to other health reasons}.

I DO now have a weight issue and on dieting am sticking to 1200-1400 calories or there about. I have cut back half my eating, cut out snacks, and make sure to exercise more. Being handicapped {bad back, labral tear in hip, heavily arthritic knee and severely asthmatic who can't breath well when it is mildly humid or more} I have to choose "alternative methods" to exercising "hard". Walking can help, but is not necessarily going to shed massive amounts of pounds off, but is good for "getting moving", for instance. I gained over a period of time due to medications I take and some major surgeries {Stomach/esophagus correction, for instance so I don't involuntarily vomit anymore, which could have caused bodily starvation mode.} Due to that, I have to work harder at getting it off, maintaining or keeping it off.

The amount of fat AND sugar is one thing in foods to monitor for dieting. a good salad may be a good "meal' but if you splash it with lots of high sugar/calorie salad dressing, you are defeating the primary purpose if dieting with it!

Also, switching directly to lots of {Sugary}fruits from sugary snacks DOES NOT guarantee any weight loss.

Now, about the original article: I am always amazed at how people utilize gov't funds, or should that be misuse?
The woman said she was "uneducated', and very well WAS. We don't ALL have access to a dietitian, or to a personal trainer! They want to get paid for their work and training also!

BUT, once she was given access, it appeared she learned well!. NOW, the Q is: WILL SHE STICK TO IT???
The NEXT Q is: who will pay for the weight loss skin reduction surgery she will need, and she WILL need it?

Old 04-11-2015, 05:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Is it Bingo night already?

http://i26.tinypic.com/2e23492.jpg

Old 04-11-2015, 06:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Here's the updated version, from the Daily Mail: Christina Briggs who demanded more benefits to slim down says she was wrong | Daily Mail Online

Oh, and yes, NicoDog! Then, there's FLORIDA: home of "Somebody needs to pay for all my kids!" 'Fertile Myrtle', aka Angel Adams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v921CaZYsow
The mom with 15 children, I DO wonder if there are some serious, serious, mental health issues. I wonder. I would never want to believe someone of sound mind thinks in such a manner.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I love how the sheeple have taken stories like this and of course applied it to everyone on welfare like good sheeple are programmed to do. Meanwhile the root cause of increasing incidences of those on welfare and requiring assistance (income inequality) goes unaddressed, as attacking the victims seems to be the inexplicable answer for many. It's truly an outrage and symptomatic of an increasingly toxic society greatly in need of a wake up call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events