Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times

Advertisements

So much for separation of church & state.

Tennessee House votes Bible as official state book

Despite questions of constitutionality, lawmakers beat back an attempt to make Andrew Jackson's Bible the official book and voted 55-38 in favor of Rep. Jerry Sexton's original bill.
"History's going to tell us where we stand on this. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to have the side that I'm on," said Sexton, R-Bean Station, after the vote.
"It may be kind to me in the future and it may not be kind, and that's OK. I made a decision for today and I feel good about it."
Although a GOP-led effort, House Speaker Beth Harwell, R-Nashville, was one of 20 Republicans to vote against the measure. House Minority Leader Craig Fitzhugh, D-Ripley, and four Republicans abstained. Only six Democrats voted in favor of the bill.
Rep. John Ragan, R-Oak Ridge, suggested making Jackson's Bible the official state book. He thought the move would have shifted the bill into safer legal waters, noting Attorney General Herbert Slatery's opinion that making the Bible the official state book would violate the state and federal constitutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Not sure why Tennessee feels the need to have an Official State Book, but if you're going to have one, I'm hard-pressed to think of a better one than the Good Book.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Not sure why Tennessee feels the need to have an Official State Book, but if you're going to have one, I'm hard-pressed to think of a better one than the Good Book.

Well it does talk about incest so that might fit in with some in Tenn.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:26 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You know exactly why this is an issue. If they had voted the Quran the official state book, you would be singing a very different tune I'm sure. That's the thing about secularism, it protects everybody, and when you start chipping away at it today because you think it benefits "your side", you don't have it tomorrow when it doesn't. Eroding the idea of secularism, this can only have negative consequences in our world deeply in need of reinforcing the important idea of separation of church and state, not wearing away at its legitimacy and spitting on it. No way this leads to greater peace and harmony, such actions only divide us, and I think we all know that kind of divisive identity politics is exactly the point for unscrupulous politicos the world over.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well it does talk about incest so that might fit in with some in Tenn.
Like there has never been a case of incest in NC or any other state.

The bill still needs senate approval and that of the governor so hopefully it wont pass.

Quote:
Not sure why Tennessee feels the need to have an Official State Book
No kidding. Is this just TN or do other states?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:38 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You know exactly why this is an issue. If they had voted the Quran the official state book, you would be singing a very different tune I'm sure. That's the thing about secularism, it protects everybody, and when you start chipping away at it today because you think it benefits "your side", you don't have it tomorrow when it doesn't. Eroding the idea of secularism, this can only have negative consequences in our world deeply in need of reinforcing the important idea of separation of church and state, not wearing away at its legitimacy and spitting on it. No way this leads to greater peace and harmony, such actions only divide us, and I think we all know that kind of divisive identity politics is exactly the point for unscrupulous politicos the world over.
I know it is getting annoying that people are push religion on us.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
If the majority of the citizens of that state don't agree that making it the official book of their state, they can voice their objections in upcoming elections and vote in people who will remove it as the official book.

I don't think it would take much to show the Bible had a significant historical impact on the state which would make it difficult to make a constitutional issue of it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 AM

188 posts, read 209,686 times
I live in Tennessee and I'm an atheist.
I don't care about the Bible being the state book.
I realize it may be a slippery slope regarding the separation of church and state, but I can't bring myself to give a **** about it either way. It has zero impact on my daily life. The only problem I can really see with it is that while they're wasting time on nonsense like a "state book", they aren't addressing vastly more important issues.

Of course this has been all over the local news recently, and I seem to remember them mentioning a similar bill being proposed in Louisiana last year, though I'm not sure if it ever passed.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I don't think it would take much to show the Bible had a significant historical impact on the state which would make it difficult to make a constitutional issue of it.
I did not see the arguments for this in the article so enlighten me. Other than TN being predominately Christian I cant think of any significant historical impact the bible has had on the state.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the majority of the citizens of that state don't agree that making it the official book of their state, they can voice their objections in upcoming elections and vote in people who will remove it as the official book.

1) Elections are on more than one issue, they're not referendums on every little thing.
2) There are constitutions and rules in place for a reason, to protect minorities from oppression by majorities. A good state should be more then mob rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events