Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:27 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:45 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Except that no governmental bodies (including the state legislature) can do away with people's Constitutional rights, except by a Constitutional amendment which is nearly impossible to enact in today's politics. Also you might want to bone up on the Establishment Clause of the Constitution and the jurisprudence thereunder.

Mick
You might want to bone up on the definition of establish.

We all know what the Establishment Clause is and the reasons behind it. The founders did not want an official religion for the US.

If they were afraid that having an "official book" be the Bible, I can guarantee you they wouldn't have been arguing over which Christian denomination would be leading them in prayer.

When they ordered the import of 20,000 Bibles to provide to the troops, do you think they had any clue the Bible was a religious book?

Let me guess, next you're going to bring up what is known as the Treaty of Tripoli. Yes, I'm familiar that when we were a fledgling nation trying to establish trade, we did tell the Muslim's that were wreaking havoc with piracy that we were not a Christian nation in hopes of keeping our ships and merchants out of harms way while we had no significant naval presence at all.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:51 AM

497 posts, read 427,937 times
What on earth is the point of this sort of silliness?

The only outcome I can see is that it will make folks who are not Christians feel that the state favors Christians over them. What sort of good does this serve?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
Good for them.... Tough if you don't like it.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
What on earth is the point of this sort of silliness?

The only outcome I can see is that it will make folks who are not Christians feel that the state favors Christians over them. What sort of good does this serve?
And if not for the press coverage, probably nobody in Tennessee would have even known.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:53 PM

506 posts, read 426,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And if not for the press coverage, probably nobody in Tennessee would have even known.
They'll notice when Red Lobsters around the state start closing.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:11 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well it does talk about incest so that might fit in with some in Tenn.
Reminds me of a joke I heard several years ago: What's foreplay in Tennessee? "Hey sis... you awake?"

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM

89 posts, read 101,199 times
Default I second that emotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
I live in Tennessee and I'm an atheist.
I don't care about the Bible being the state book.
I realize it may be a slippery slope regarding the separation of church and state, but I can't bring myself to give a **** about it either way. It has zero impact on my daily life. The only problem I can really see with it is that while they're wasting time on nonsense like a "state book", they aren't addressing vastly more important issues.

Of course this has been all over the local news recently, and I seem to remember them mentioning a similar bill being proposed in Louisiana last year, though I'm not sure if it ever passed.
I give zero ***** as well NicoDog! I've been in Tennessee now for 2 years. Officiating a book a tales is the last thing Tennessee should be broadcasting.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:20 PM

89 posts, read 101,199 times
Default Jesus christ

It didn't make it. Something good did happened today.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,490,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofanxiety View Post
It didn't make it. Something good did happened today.
Here's the link:

Tennessee Plan to Make Bible 'Official' Book Derailed - NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events