Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times

Advertisements

The two things that matter in Tennessee is being a republican and a bible thumper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In order to remain in compliance with the Terms of Service, I will refrain from expressing my opinion of your comments against people of faith. But if you believe that the Founding Fathers were "anti-religion people," I would recommend further study into the origins of our country.

I'm a Pagan & while I don't believe in the same God that you do I think it's wrong for a state to try & take a religious book/document their own. Religion & state affairs do not mix very well.
As far as your statement goes about the founding fathers.. well they were Deists plain & simple.
God Of Nature NOT the bible might want to brush up on the origins of this country yourself.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I'm from Tennessee, Republican, and conservative, and it's downright depressing how fanatically religious the state has become. I think Bill Haslam has been a good governor overall, but most of the local/regional politicians are just pandering to an increasingly fervent religious base. Meanwhile, the state continues to struggle with job creation, wages of the jobs which are available, and many areas of the state are simply an economic wasteland.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 AM

506 posts, read 426,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In order to remain in compliance with the Terms of Service, I will refrain from expressing my opinion of your comments against people of faith. But if you believe that the Founding Fathers were "anti-religion people," I would recommend further study into the origins of our country.

I would recommend you not listening religious fools trying to rewrite history by hyping up the importance of religion in the formation of the USA, and actually take notice of the glaring absence of any mention of religion in the founding documents. The truth is, at the time the USA was being set up most people were already sharp enough to realize that all religions were mostly total nonsense, which is why, for example, Tommy Jefferson ripped out the nonsense from the Bible and made his own.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
WOW, talk about a bunch of Hippocrates! How can a state have the bible as their state book, yet allow the death penalty? I really feel they need a lesson on the bible before they moronically claim it as their state book! They better change their ways if they want to actually do it correctly! Actually, I find it offensive they claim the bible as their book and they should be educated!

Tennessee Department of Correction - Death Penalty In Tennessee

Old 04-16-2015, 10:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
Going to church or making the claim doesnt make you a Christian and it might not even show your a fan.. Thats the problem with the Southern Bible Belt.. Most are Fans at best, few are followers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I did not see the arguments for this in the article so enlighten me. Other than TN being predominately Christian I cant think of any significant historical impact the bible has had on the state.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If the majority of the citizens of that state don't agree that making it the official book of their state, they can voice their objections in upcoming elections and vote in people who will remove it as the official book.

I don't think it would take much to show the Bible had a significant historical impact on the state which would make it difficult to make a constitutional issue of it.
Except that no governmental bodies (including the state legislature) can do away with people's Constitutional rights, except by a Constitutional amendment which is nearly impossible to enact in today's politics. Also you might want to bone up on the Establishment Clause of the Constitution and the jurisprudence thereunder.

Mick

Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
Jack Daniels is the state drink
Country is the state music
GMC Terrain is the state vehicle

only fitting that the bible is the state book.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Although I am a Christian I am also against the Government " . . . making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech,. . ." . Now the question is does recognizing the BIBLE as the official State Book of Tennessee violate the First Amendment? One of the other posters suggested that the Quoran be made the official State Book. I would find that extremely offensive but looking at it from a strictly Constitutional POV I don't think the Bible is the best choice for the State Book either. God gave us all "Free Will". I know the BIBLE is the greatest book ever written but I don't need some legislative body telling me that.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:10 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
I live in Tennessee and I'm an atheist.
I don't care about the Bible being the state book.
I realize it may be a slippery slope regarding the separation of church and state, but I can't bring myself to give a **** about it either way. It has zero impact on my daily life. The only problem I can really see with it is that while they're wasting time on nonsense like a "state book", they aren't addressing vastly more important issues.

Of course this has been all over the local news recently, and I seem to remember them mentioning a similar bill being proposed in Louisiana last year, though I'm not sure if it ever passed.
Same here. We didn't elect them to vote on an official "State Book".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events