Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 PM

671 posts, read 894,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Texas like so many other states is an at hired at will state which means a company doesn't need a reason to fire an employee, as a result there are no bits for a lawyer to chomp at.
That doesn't relieve the business of it's disgraceful action. The public will decide what justice is done.
For me I would not shop there..This is not about state laws,it's about the shakedown of $400 bucks or your job...There in lies the lawsuit if the firing came about as reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 PM

26,208 posts, read 21,711,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats is pretty standard. Thats the way all of these scum bucket chains work. They steal from employees, and if the employees don't give them the money, they fire them.

I have had lots of pizza delivery jobs that would fire drivers, if they don't repay any stollen money. Here is an example. As if getting robbed isn't bad enough, the employees get robbed again by the company.

Pizza delivery driver robbed at gunpoint, then fired from Papa Johns - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

I read the article and it certainly doesn't say he was fired for getting robbed

Old 04-22-2015, 11:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
That doesn't relieve the business of it's disgraceful action. The public will decide what justice is done.
For me I would not shop there..This is not about state laws,it's about the shakedown of $400 bucks or your job...There in lies the lawsuit if the firing came about as reported.

This. Pretty disgraceful, strong-arming an employee over $400, c'mon give me a break.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,065,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I read this story earlier. How is she supposed to do a drop in the middle of a rush? And then after a robbery ask for her to pay that money back as if it was her fault they were robbed?
She couldn't. It would be impossible, but the companies don't care that it's impossible for the employees to comply. They just want to place the blame on the employee.

I have had pizza delivery jobs where I had to sign a statement acknowledging that I understood I would be immediately be terminated, if I was ever robbed of more the $20. Rational, I should never leave the store with more then $20. Everything else should go in a drop box.

The problem, if I left the store with one $25 pizza order, and $20 of change, then collected the cash for the pizza, plus maybe a tip, I would be retuning to the store with close to $50. If I got robbed on the way back, I would be in violation of the agreement I signed, and they would fire me. It was impossible for me to do my job and abide by the agreement that I was forced to sign. Thats the way these companies work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I would not take the job back and I would see what an attorney has to say. I think Popeyes will be paying her more than just back pay.
Yeah, thats the best solution. Just avoid working for crap places like that, and as customers try to avoid patronizing those type of places. It's really no fun to eat at a place where the employees are being treated like that.

I hope the woman finds a better job.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,804,278 times
When I was 18 years old I was robbed while working the night shift in a convenience store. Two days later when I went back to work I was given a reprimand to sign because I had too much money in the drawer. I told them to shove it and walked out.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,804,685 times
Looks like Popeye's is offering her job back and $2,000 "back pay."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I used to handle more than $1000,000.00 cash daily as one of the managers of a truck stop ...
You handled a million dollars in cash every day at a truck stop?

Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,150,465 times
Ah, I am glad to see that Popeye's paid only $400 for the absolutely horrible PR "campaign". But then again, they say any PR is good PR. When else do people talk about Popeye's?

Mick

Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,853,917 times
In any retail establishment the registers (current technology) are set to set off a signal that the register has gone over the threshold for cash to be in it. Managers are required to remove that excess within minutes of that signal coming up as it only takes a few minutes to do so. The $400 was most likely past the amount of that threshold and was probably an average of 40 transactions. Anyone who is or was a cashier (at least in the past 30 yrs) knows this. The removal of the excess cash is done for the exact reason listed in the OP.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,314,678 times
Like many people, I've put in plenty of time working in retail and I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for her for not doing drops when she was supposed to. There are multiple people working at Popeyes and she could have taken the time she needed. Even if you are alone, you still say "Excuse me, I will be right with you in a moment" and do your drop. It's the same as if you run out of register tape. Even if you have a line of people, you have to change the tape. I've been on the other side of that plenty of times as a customer too.

Now, obviously the manager screwed up and shouldn't have demanded she repay the money. But who thinks she'd still be going to the media and complaining and saying "pregnant woman fired for being robbed" and trying to get sympathy and a gofundme page and all that when she was legitimately fired for breaking one of the biggest rules they teach you when you are a cashier?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,949,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Texas like so many other states is an at hired at will state which means a company doesn't need a reason to fire an employee, as a result there are no bits for a lawyer to chomp at.
Except when the employer gives a reason that someone can sue them for. example - You're fired vs you're fired because you stole money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events