Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times

Advertisements

What? Makes no sense at all to me. Sure I get it that leaving $400 in the register was a no-go, but still.

Pregnant Popeyes Manager Fired After Refusing To Pay For Armed Robbery

Quote:
Marissa Holcomb was held at gunpoint late last month in an armed robbery at a Popeyes in Channelview, Texas.

Then, she was fired.

The shift manager -- who is five months pregnant -- says she was reprimanded because she refused to pay back $400 that the gunman got away with, according to KHOU.

"I told them I'm not paying nothing," Holcomb told the station. "I just had a gun to me. I'm not paying the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,494,958 times
Lawyers will be chomping at the bit to take on her case. It's a no brainier and a winner.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,051,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What? Makes no sense at all to me. Sure I get it that leaving $400 in the register was a no-go, but still.

Pregnant Popeyes Manager Fired After Refusing To Pay For Armed Robbery
Thats is pretty standard. Thats the way all of these scum bucket chains work. They steal from employees, and if the employees don't give them the money, they fire them.

I have had lots of pizza delivery jobs that would fire drivers, if they don't repay any stollen money. Here is an example. As if getting robbed isn't bad enough, the employees get robbed again by the company.

Pizza delivery driver robbed at gunpoint, then fired from Papa Johns - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,344,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Lawyers will be chomping at the bit to take on her case. It's a no brainier and a winner.
Texas like so many other states is an at hired at will state which means a company doesn't need a reason to fire an employee, as a result there are no bits for a lawyer to chomp at.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,279,688 times
If the employee failed to follow company policy in regards to handling money, they certainly have good cause to can her.

The company doesn't have good cause to sue her for return of the cash however.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:34 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,909,546 times
And to think, there are zero minimum wage fast food jobs anywhere. Poor thing.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:35 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,051,497 times
Quote:
Popeyes attempting to rectify pregnant manager's firing

CHANNELVIEW, Texas – The pregnant Popeyes manager, who was fired less than 36 hours after a robbery, has been offered her job back.

Marissa Holcomb, who is a mother of three with a fourth child on the way, had a meeting with Z & H Foods owner Amin Dhanani on Wednesday, a day after our original story aired of her firing.

"He just apologized and pretty much offered me if I wanted to go back to his business and work there again," she said.
Quote:
Holcomb is not only being offered her old position, but $2,000 in back pay. For the pregnant mother of three, the decision is tough.

"I do need a way to support my kids," she says. "I don't want to go back to a business where I'm treated the same and I just get pushed back out if something else happened."
Popeyes attempting to rectify pregnant manager's firing

Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,147,048 times
I read this story earlier. How is she supposed to do a drop in the middle of a rush? And then after a robbery ask for her to pay that money back as if it was her fault they were robbed?

I would not take the job back and I would see what an attorney has to say. I think Popeyes will be paying her more than just back pay.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I read this story earlier. How is she supposed to do a drop in the middle of a rush? And then after a robbery ask for her to pay that money back as if it was her fault they were robbed?

I would not take the job back and I would see what an attorney has to say. I think Popeyes will be paying her more than just back pay.

She lets the employees handle the rush for the less than 5 minutes it takes to make a drop.
I used to handle more than $1000,000.00 cash daily as one of the managers of a truck stop and no matter how busy we were those drops got made when they were supposed to be made.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,645,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Texas like so many other states is an at hired at will state which means a company doesn't need a reason to fire an employee, as a result there are no bits for a lawyer to chomp at.

Yeah ok but it's still not right. Unless she was masterminding the robbery why should she be stuck paying for some jerk loser robbing the joint. I can see if she was absentminded and lost the money.
It's part of doing business. If a bank gets robbed they aren't gonna take it out of the tellers check.
It would be like somene car jacking my work truck and my company expecting me to pay for it. You got insurance. And I bet Popeyes is insured for robbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events