Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When we drive we are putting a lot of people at risk. Accidents can and do happen. To think that an accident would only hurt myself or my family is not accurate.
Do you support drunk driving and speeding laws even though they interfere with choice?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Do you support drunk driving and speeding laws even though they interfere with choice?
Yes. Neither involve injecting something into my body or the bodies of my children. In other words, they are not intrusive and the benefit outweighs the risk.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Please open this graphic and read carefully, since scientific studies can be super annoying I'm moving to pictures.

SOOO, according to statistics - I hope you've spent 100 times as many hours keeping your kid away from rain as you do on vaccines.

The odds are MORE likely that your kid will be a BILLIONAIRE (with a B) than they are to have a severe response to a vaccine, and remember they will be at the doctor's office if that occurred so the odds of it being "life altering" are very very small.
Love it!

Quote:
The pertussis vaccine has issues. One of which is that there is evidence that the bacterium has mutated which makes the vaccine ineffective. This information has been known for some time and was even on the CDC site a few years ago but for some reason the info is gone from their site. It's also not a long lasting vaccine and many adults don't get boosters. How did your friend's baby catch pertussis from the five year old? Was it a friend of her family? How did she know he was unvaccinated?
I can't find anything about pertussis bacteria mutating on any credible website, so maybe that hypothesis has been debunked. Here's something from the CDC from two years ago: Pertussis | Whooping Cough | Pertactin-Negative Strains | CDC

I can't answer for the poster about the baby, but I can tell you that in this and most states, pertussis is a reportable disease and each case is investigated by the health department. Contacts are traced and contacted.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I can't find anything about pertussis bacteria mutating on any credible website, so maybe that hypothesis has been debunked. Here's something from the CDC from two years ago: Pertussis | Whooping Cough | Pertactin-Negative Strains | CDC
It was on the CDC site for a long time, even when they were denying that it could have possibly mutated. It wasn't a hypothesis but rather a peer reviewed and published study by a respected scientist. Amazing how studies get swept under the rug when the results are not favorable to vaccines. The researcher's name is Frtiz Mooi. Some articles are still around that talk about the study.
Mutations in Pertussis May Account for Rise in Cases | Medpage Today
Immunized People Getting Whooping Cough, Experts Spar Over New Strain | KPBS
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/sep/07...ccine-working/

Old 07-07-2015, 01:16 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Quote:
The pertussis vaccine has issues. One of which is that there is evidence that the bacterium has mutated which makes the vaccine ineffective. This information has been known for some time and was even on the CDC site a few years ago but for some reason the info is gone from their site. It's also not a long lasting vaccine and many adults don't get boosters. How did your friend's baby catch pertussis from the five year old? Was it a friend of her family? How did she know he was unvaccinated?
The CDC traced it to the child at their doctor's office. The CDC also confirmed that the child had not been vaccinated. My friend's baby was too young to be vaccinated.

I agree that more adults need to get boosters (I have). But the whopping cough vaccine has now been combined with the tetanus vaccine, so more people will get it. (Many more people get tetanus boosters due to injury). But you are contradicting yourself. In one breath you say the vaccine is ineffective, but in another you say adults should get boosters. So which is it?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
and the benefit outweighs the risk.
Does anyone else see the irony here?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The CDC traced it to the child at their doctor's office. The CDC also confirmed that the child had not been vaccinated. My friend's baby was too young to be vaccinated.

I agree that more adults need to get boosters (I have). But the whopping cough vaccine has now been combined with the tetanus vaccine, so more people will get it. (Many more people get tetanus boosters due to injury). But you are contradicting yourself. In one breath you say the vaccine is ineffective, but in another you say adults should get boosters. So which is it?
I don't think I'm contradicting myself by noting that there is more then just one issue with the pertussis vaccine. There are legitimate concerns that it is not very effective due to mutations and there are legitimate concerns about how long it lasts and there are legitimate concerns about adults not getting boosters. None of those things will be fixed by forcing a small group to vaccinate. Not everyone who falls into the category of "anti-vaxxer" refuses all vaccines. Some may forgo certain vaccines and get others. Of those vaccines, Pertussis is one that a lot of people who don't stick to the CDC schedule do get. I can't prove this but anecdotally from talking with several doctors and several people who have vaccinated selectively, this has been my observation.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else see the irony here?
Please explain because I definitely do not.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Please explain because I definitely do not.
Exactly my point.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point.
If you think that vaccines are risk free, think again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events