Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Sigh. I get my paps. But I don't understand the contention that they are not "invasive." They ARE literally invasive. If not, you're not getting them right.
INVASIVE: (of medical procedures) involving the introduction of instruments or other objects into the body or body cavities.
I said that in my opinion they are not as invasive as a vaccine. I also don't think they are a big deal at all. That's my opinion. Yours is different. That's fine.

Quote:
Again, stop with the "it's no big deal" garbage. I say vaccinations are no big deal. That means you'll change your mind, right? Oh, wait. No, you think THEY are a big deal, so...who's deal is bigger? Why is your "deal" bigger than mine? I get your concerns. I understand them, because I have had many of the same ones. I just have done enough research to know the things you posit as concerns are not based on fact.
Vaccines stay inside of your body long after the needle comes out. Vaccines have known side effects, some more serious then others. Paps are over when they remove the speculum with no serious side effects.

Quote:
When you talk of mandates, you say they "have no choice IF they..." whatever. Well, IF they want their children to go to school, they MUST get the vaccines is still a choice, even if you don't like it. That is true, you don't have to like it, but it is true. And that is going to spread to other states. It will. And you will still not like it.
Right. If they want to access public education they have to get a vaccine. That is force. That is coercion. That is not choice.

Quote:
Just relax, it's not a big deal. I, and most of my friends, have had a full course of vaccinations and it has been no problem.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I thought you liked choice?
I am for choice. I didn't say that I want to ban cigarettes. I asked why we haven't. You all are so concerned with public health and all, I just wonder why you haven't banned cigarettes, alcohol, cars, sunbathing, sugar, etc. ?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:24 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am for choice. I didn't say that I want to ban cigarettes. I asked why we haven't. You all are so concerned with public health and all, I just wonder why you haven't banned cigarettes, alcohol, cars, sunbathing, sugar, etc. ?
FACT: cigarettes - regulated, choice is limited, can't smoke everywhere, must put warnings on , limits on age to purchase, limits on ingredients

FACT: alcohol - regulated, choice is limited, can't drink until a certain age, can't drive everywhere, can't drink and drive, can't ply underage folks with alcohol

FACT: cars - regulated, choice is limited, can't drive when you decide (must be of age), as fast as you want, or under any influence, can't use phones while you drive in most states and are privately insured based on your risks and bad decisions

FACT: sugar - must be disclosed on food, regulated in many school districts to prevent access through funded lunch programs

FACT: sunbathing - not regulated outside, but significant limitations on choice in terms of indoor tanning.

FACT: vaccines - choice is limited in mandate states, if you want to send your kid to school you must vaccinate (or homeschool)

Pretty congruent actually.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
They are widely accepted within the tobacco industry just as your scientific studies on vaccines being safe are widely accepted within the medical community...the medical community being backed by big pharma!

See how that works!
Ummm, no. That's not how it works. The tobacco industry has basically said, "Well, gee, yeah, these little things are harmful!" They are now trying to find ways to spin "LESS HARMFUL" products. Does anybody believe that? I mean, really? Do you?

There are worldwide studies done by independent groups. There are peer reviews of reports and findings. There are people who take the "findings" from self-reported databases and websites and try to verify (or refute) the findings, and basically do that. There is, on balance, a great deal of information supporting the safe use of vaccines.

There is not a great deal of evidence proving that cigarettes are completely safe. But every once in awhile, someone lives to 101 and says she smoked and drank her whole life and never wore a seatbelt. Does that mean that is safe behavior for everyone? NO. Because that is anecdotal. It is one person's experience, and not showing cause & effect.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:46 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
NOPE! Not at all...

The vaccine mandate strips a person of their taxpayer rights to enforce a behavior.

Your logic is very twisted!

The comparison might have weight if there was a mandate that if you smoked your kids could not go to public school.

There's not complete consensus on the safety of vaccines ...not once you go outside the sphere of money that's big pharma.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
They are working on an anti-smoking vaccine which will block positive reactions to nicotine. I suppose they will be mandating that one for teens too? Demand that any adult who smokes must get this vaccine too?

It will never end if they are given an inch. They will try to mandate more and more. There is even a name for it, "The Decade of Vaccines".

While I am not an especially religious person, I am feeling more and more that they (government, big pharms, medical industry) are trying to play God and create that perfect "human race". Haven't we been there before???????

Old 08-10-2015, 01:50 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
You still won't answer my question tlvancouver? What is your reason for supporting HPV vaccine mandates for school entry? I've asked several times yet you refuse to answer. It seems like a pretty simple question.
Anyone who has done a modest amount of research can answer this question.

The best or most advantageous time to give a vaccine is before someone becomes exposed to a virus. If grade school girls starting at age nine receive the vaccine there is little chance they have had sexual activity that would expose them. Once they have been exposed, its likely too late for the vaccine to protect them from that strain of the virus. Although, the vaccine will still furnish protection against other strains of the virus they have not been exposed too. The vaccine also apparently produces a higher immune response in preteens than it does in teens or older women.

Did you really not know that?

HPV Vaccine Information For Young Women

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/HPV/Vaccine FAQ

Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They are working on an anti-smoking vaccine which will block positive reactions to nicotine. I suppose they will be mandating that one for teens too? Demand that any adult who smokes must get this vaccine too?
Seriously? An anti-smoking vaccine? I was hoping that you were joking but it is true, there is one in the works.

Quote:
It will never end if they are given an inch. They will try to mandate more and more. There is even a name for it, "The Decade of Vaccines".
Agreed.

Quote:
While I am not an especially religious person, I am feeling more and more that they (government, big pharms, medical industry) are trying to play God and create that perfect "human race". Haven't we been there before???????
yep.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Anyone who has done a modest amount of research can answer this question.

The best or most advantageous time to give a vaccine is before someone becomes exposed to a virus. If grade school girls starting at age nine receive the vaccine there is little chance they have had sexual activity that would expose them. Once they have been exposed, its likely too late for the vaccine to protect them from that strain of the virus. Although, the vaccine will still furnish protection against other strains of the virus they have not been exposed too.

Did you really not know that?

HPV Vaccine Information For Young Women

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/HPV/Vaccine FAQ
My question is not about what age is best for those who choose to get the HPV vaccine. It's about the desire or need for mandates. What is the justification for HPV mandates for school entrance. You can recommend the HPV vaccine. Mandating is quite different. Did you really not know that?

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
Quote:
I said that in my opinion they are not as invasive as a vaccine. I also don't think they are a big deal at all. That's my opinion. Yours is different. That's fine.

Vaccines stay inside of your body long after the needle comes out. Vaccines have known side effects, some more serious then others. Paps are over when they remove the speculum with no serious side effects.

Right. If they want to access public education they have to get a vaccine. That is force. That is coercion. That is not choice.

Boy, you like to pick-n-choose what to apply where.

Inserting a speculum is invasive. It is the literal definition, that's all I'm saying.

What I mean, is I keep hearing that these diseases/illnesses are "no big deal." And it is my opinion that sometimes they are a "big deal." I find it disrespectful to take one's own experience and expect that everyone else will have the same experience.

I am not equating all vaccinations with a pap smear. That's a false equivalency. There may be some "there" when dealing with pap smears vs. the HPV vaccine specifically, but even then, you have something the prevents the underlying infection vs. something that detects cancerous/precancerous cells on the cervix, which is just one potential outcome of HPV. Again, not equivalent.

Okay, I give. You can name vaccine mandates coercion if you want. I don't care. I don't think it is, but, meh.

And what I meant in my last statement is I exactly what I state above. Since many of you seem to feel it's fine to say, "It's no big deal," when discussing the seriousness of illnesses or procedures, then I say the same regarding vaccine mandates. I have had vaccinations, my husband & kids have, my parents & sisters have, my friends have, my extended family has--not a single reaction beyond mild fever & sore arm. Where are all the "severe reactions." So you should all just relax. Because I'm telling you it's no big deal. That's my experience and it will obviously be everyone else's experience too! I don't even need evidence. Just my own belief. Well, I have evidence. Lots of it. So you really CAN relax. But you should just because I say so. No. Big. Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events