Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Granny despite have severe reactions to a flu shot saved others from dying. Why should elderly experience severe reactions to a vaccination just to save others, especially in her own old age?
Nobody was talking about that. Nobody. Except you.

And just for the record, "Granny" wasn't elderly at the time. Do you realize that someone can be a granny at an age of under 40???

Furthermore, I said "significant", not "severe". Again, you are hyping other people's comments to fit your agenda.

Additionally, my grandmother had nothing to do with "saving others from dying". You're just making stuff up. Throw it against the wall, something will stick.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Jo, I've been reading your posts, and they are getting more and more grasping at straws.

You've taken my post and tried to apply it something I didn't discuss or intend.

My post was about vaccines are used -- in a sense -- like gambling. Which are the better odds -- that you will get sick from a particular vaccine, or that you will get sick from a disease.

That's all my post was about. Your response was disingenuous.
A much more articulated response than I would have written!

By her own words she doesn't care about science, doesn't care about math, doesn't care about risk models, and doesn't care about anyone's health other than her own.

The risk of a serious adverse childhood vaccine reaction is less than one in a million, that risk is (in most logical people's minds, including the vast majority of those surveyed) well worth taking in order to prevent entirely preventable, highly contagious deadly childhood diseases, including preventing their spread to others who cannot be vaccinated.

Nobody is making anyone get vaccinated, so if saving your life (or those of others) doesn't matter, don't get vaccinated. If you don't want your kid vaccinated (negligent parenting in my opinion, but still your choice) in California (and other states) your kid will need to be home schooled. Certain jobs may require vaccines. If you don't choose to vaccinate, you can choose to work elsewhere.

I don't EVER post to change the minds of the 3 or 4 posters here. The reason anyone continues to engage with the anti-science "posters" is because others who do care about science, risk, math and others might be misled by their posts.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
How did you guys get so off base on this discussion? It is not wheter or not vaccines work.

The issue is that the GOVERNMENT NOW IMPOSES FORCED VACCINES ON YOUR KIDS LIKE IT OR NOT!!!

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
How did you guys get so off base on this discussion? It is not wheter or not vaccines work.

The issue is that the GOVERNMENT NOW IMPOSES FORCED VACCINES ON YOUR KIDS LIKE IT OR NOT!!!
Except they don't.

Vaccines DO work, that's true - the science is settled in that regard.

In all states you have a choice about whether to vaccinate, however if you want to send your kid to school instead of homeschooling you have to have them vaccinated.

These choices apply in all areas of life - you want your "choice" to own a gun, sure, but you can't send your kid to school with it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:

Thank you. That IS the point. Make the consequences so coercive that people will bow down and comply. California has now imposed this on little children, and now want to expand that to adults. The first state to force adult vaccinations or face JAIL TIME. First they came for your children, then they will come for you; whether you are young, middle aged, or old adult. No informed consent and the right to refuse any and all medical treatment for you children, or even for YOURSELF as adult. California started the ball rolling with children, and now want to extend that to adults with criminal penalties for non-compliance. Get vaccinated or go to JAIL for refusing vaccinations? I know these people have called for that for parents of young children, but for adults for their jobs too?????

I find it totally HORRIFIC that these pro-vaxers think that the elderly also, who are supposed to be a part of the most vulnerable population "needing vaccination protection", should also suffer vaccination consequences to protect others.

I talk to others my age in the same situation. "I do not have young children". "I am retired and cannot lose my job". "FIND ME to vaccinate me". "Cut off my Medicare and Social Security for not vaccinating MYSELF?"

I really do feel for parents of young children, and also younger adults whose jobs will now be on the line with this push for universal vaccinations for ALL. I will do all that I can to help them, but in today's world, I thank my lucky stars that I AM OLD and won't live to see the consequences of what they doing.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Thank you. That IS the point. Make the consequences so coercive that people will bow down and comply. California has now imposed this on little children, and now want to expand that to adults. The first state to force adult vaccinations or face JAIL TIME. First they came for your children, then they will come for you; whether you are young, middle aged, or old adult. No informed consent and the right to refuse any and all medical treatment for you children, or even for YOURSELF as adult. California started the ball rolling with children, and now want to extend that to adults with criminal penalties for non-compliance. Get vaccinated or go to JAIL for refusing vaccinations? I know these people have called for that for parents of young children, but for adults for their jobs too?????

I find it totally HORRIFIC that these pro-vaxers think that the elderly also, who are supposed to be a part of the most vulnerable population "needing vaccination protection", should also suffer vaccination consequences to protect others.

I talk to others my age in the same situation. "I do not have young children". "I am retired and cannot lose my job". "FIND ME to vaccinate me". "Cut off my Medicare and Social Security for not vaccinating MYSELF?"

I really do feel for parents of young children, and also younger adults whose jobs will now be on the line with this push for universal vaccinations for ALL. I will do all that I can to help them, but in today's world, I thank my lucky stars that I AM OLD and won't live to see the consequences of what they doing.
Stop making things up to manufacture fear. It's fundamentally irresponsible.

Most of us wouldn't give a rats **ss what you do, and your focus on senior citizens is a self absorbed distraction from the issue of eliminating personal exemptions for school children.

You may find it HORRIFIC but the fact is you are NOT facing mandates as a senior so stop stirring controversy where none exists.

Put the tin foil back in the drawer and step away from the keyboard.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Rhode Island mandates the controversial HPV vaccine for all 7th graders.
Rhode Island to mandate HPV vaccine for all 7th graders - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

I find this especially concerning considering the fact this vaccine is said to protect against an STD and is not spread through casual contact, ie., in the classroom at school. While I believe that people should always have the right to choose in terms of medication and vaccinations, this vaccine in particular seems especially absurd to be a part of a statewide mandate. Cervical cancer is preventable with routine pap smears. People should have the right to choose. Parents have reported severe side effects from this vaccine, even though the industry ignores them or claims that they are not related, I choose to listen.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Exactly. It's bizarre to see that so many people welcome this type of intrusion with open arms. I find that to be much more frightening then the idea that I might catch measles.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Rhode Island mandates the controversial HPV vaccine for all 7th graders.
Rhode Island to mandate HPV vaccine for all 7th graders - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

I find this especially concerning considering the fact this vaccine is said to protect against an STD and is not spread through casual contact, ie., in the classroom at school. While I believe that people should always have the right to choose in terms of medication and vaccinations, this vaccine in particular seems especially absurd to be a part of a statewide mandate. Cervical cancer is preventable with routine pap smears. People should have the right to choose. Parents have reported severe side effects from this vaccine, even though the industry ignores them or claims that they are not related, I choose to listen.
Saying cervical cancer is preventable with routine Pap smears is so misleading. Yes, a Pap smear can find cancer and precancerous cells. But the Pap smear does nothing to treat it. It won't make it go away. Have you ever had a cervical biopsy? Have you ever had to wait 48 hours to find out if you have cancer, or squeaked through on it? Have you ever had a sizable chunk of your cervix removed, then gone for quarterly Pap smears to ensure you remain cancer free? I don't recommend it.

Kids engage in very reckless behavior. The HPV vaccine can protect them from catching the virus that can cause cancer. Do you think this is an arbitrary decision? What do you think is the actual reason for a rule like this?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Saying cervical cancer is preventable with routine Pap smears is so misleading. Yes, a Pap smear can find cancer and precancerous cells. But the Pap smear does nothing to treat it. It won't make it go away. Have you ever had a cervical biopsy? Have you ever had to wait 48 hours to find out if you have cancer, or squeaked through on it? Have you ever had a sizable chunk of your cervix removed, then gone for quarterly Pap smears to ensure you remain cancer free? I don't recommend it.

Kids engage in very reckless behavior. The HPV vaccine can protect them from catching the virus that can cause cancer. Do you think this is an arbitrary decision? What do you think is the actual reason for a rule like this?
It's not misleading, it is the truth. If a person gets routine pap smears then they can detect and catch precancerous changes to the cervical cells and can then receive treatment to prevent it from moving forward to cervical cancer. It is highly treatable. Even the CDC talks about how pap smears prevent cervical cancer.

Despite your personal feeling regarding this. The decision on whether or not to get the HPV vaccine should remain a choice and not made into a mandate. It's a decision that a parent can make with their teenage children. The state and the school districts have no right to mandate a vaccination for a disease that is not spread via casual contact in the classroom. It is a major overreach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events