Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I will also agree with that story that the transparency of the Charleston police and their quick response in the Walter Scott death likely played a part. Basically got the video, released it, fired the officer, charged him with murder all within 2 days.
I think it is this^. In Baltimore the leader of the police union came out and supported the police involved
and basically said the police are well trained and can do no wrong (all before the investigation was done).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Rioting is a northern thing?

Excluding lynchings, and anti-lynching riots, and included University of Mississippi (1962); Lexington, NC (1963); Tampa (1967); Orangeburg, SC (1968); Louisville, KT (1968); Miami (1980, 89,); Atlanta, GA (1992); St, Petersburg, FL (1996) and a few more I could dig up, no. It isn't a northern thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Somebody doesn't know much about history. There were race riots all over the South in the 1960s. Both black and white..
So glad you couldn't be bothered to read more than the topic title.

But.. If you like.. Look at the 20th and 21st century list of Riots..

List of incidents of civil unrest in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Geographically.. More in the north or south? Let's just look at 1967 and the riots listed there (There were more than those, but they were the major ones)

Northern - Detroit, Boston, Buffalo, Newark, Plainfield, Cairo, Detroit (again), New York, Rochester, Pontiac, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Toledo, Englewood, Lima, Cambridge, Saginaw, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Madison

Southern - Tampa, Durham, Memphis, Houston, Tuscon

21 - 5

That.. Is significant. And, really.. We could make that 21-2, because Florida is a beast unto itself.. The south doesn't consider Florida part of the south.. And Tuscon.. Doesn't fit either category, but.. More southern than northern. Houston.. An argument could be made, but.. Really, Houston is 'the south'. Sticking with the 'line through the middle'.. Were there any California riots.. I don't see either North or South claiming them.

Or.. Let's just look at the ones since 2010.

There are 2 that can be considered southern.. Both college campuses.. UT and James Madison

8 in northern cities.. 6 if you discount Maryland as 'northern'.. 2 (of the 8) which were college campuses..

7 in the west.. Which I consider anything west of the rockies.

Draw a line through the middle of the continental US and rioting happens far less frequently in the south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Baltimore and Ferguson are both southern cities...
Depends on your definition.. Mason-Dixon line.. You are correct. Civil war.. MD is unquestionably northern. Geographic midline of the continental US? MD is northern. That line, which I tend to agree with, also known as the sweet tea line (You order sweet tea north of Richmond, you're taking a gamble) generally runs through Richmond, VA and is the North/South border. NoVA I would not consider part of the south. Technically.. MD would better be considered "Mid-Atlantic", but..

Missouri is basically the same.. Technically, aliasfinn is correct.. They're really midwest.. Civil war, they're south.. It, like VA, is divided.. The southern 3rd or so of the state is 'the south' while the rest is 'the north'.. At least according to the magic 'mid-point' line. St Louis and Kansas City would fall into the 'north' portion..

Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I think it is this^. In Baltimore the leader of the police union came out and supported the police involved
and basically said the police are well trained and can do no wrong (all before the investigation was done).
Yes, but the mayor of Baltimore also said in a press conference that the police "let those who wished to destroy have the opportunity to do so..." (or something nearly verbatim).

Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Rioting is a northern thing?

Excluding lynchings, and anti-lynching riots, and included University of Mississippi (1962); Lexington, NC (1963); Tampa (1967); Orangeburg, SC (1968); Louisville, KT (1968); Miami (1980, 89,); Atlanta, GA (1992); St, Petersburg, FL (1996) and a few more I could dig up, no. It isn't a northern thing.
You haven't named any that have happened in the 21st century and most of those happened ~1/2 century ago.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Rioting seems to be a fair-weather phenomenon. I'll bet if it had been 40 degrees and raining last Monday night, Baltimore would have slept peacefully.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
It's a midwestern thing.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,345 times
midwesterners do enjoy the occasional riot

but baltimore is not midwestern, either. it seems to be it's own thing.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:52 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
but baltimore is not midwestern, either. it seems to be it's own thing.
It is the syphilis capital of the word, something like 8 years running.. It's always been at or near the top of the list.

Baltimore's Syphilis Rate Highest in U.S. - latimes

Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
It is the syphilis capital of the word, something like 8 years running.. It's always been at or near the top of the list.

Baltimore's Syphilis Rate Highest in U.S. - latimes
So what? Indiana, the heartland of America, has an HIV problem.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:10 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I lived outside Baltimore prior to coming to Colorado, and I attended church downtown every week. Baltimore is most assuredly NOT a northern city, and to suggest as much is absurd. Someone is sorely lacking in knowledge of American history.
I don't know anyone who considers Baltimore "southern". It seems to have a lot more in common with the northeast than the south. If anything it may be mid Atlantic if you don't want to call it northern but it's certainly not a southern city. Virginia is pretty much the upper limit of the "South", geographically, politically, and culturally. Baltimore isn't even laid out and constructed like the major cities in the south. Maryland has more in common today with the other Mid-Atlantic states of NJ, NY, and PA, than it does with VA, TN, or NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events