Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:36 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,640,550 times

Advertisements

Apparently Obama has sent Special Forces to take over Texas.

Is it now required to be certifiably insane to become a Republican Governor?

Texas Governor Deploys National Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover : It's All Politics : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:59 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,161,427 times
This looks like the most interesting story of the day.

People didn't listen before Ferguson about what our Police were preparing for. Now it looks like they're bringing in the military and special forces as well.

Maybe they could just address our problems and not kill us or lock us up.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
"Monitor" and "deploy" don't mean the same thing. Bad reporting.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,161,427 times
It's just interesting to see two different jurisdictions monitoring each other. For me its a win - win if legit.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,693,375 times
Wow did they get that wrong.

And I'm glad he's doing it so that the USG special ops doing their covert terrorist training don't infringe on the rights of the citizens.
They will make sure that the local communities are informed. At least we'll know about the Blackhawks before they start practicing unlike Miami, for example.

Texas State Guard is not the National Guard.

Texas Military Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Texas Military Forces is the three-branch military of the U.S. state of Texas. It is composed of the Texas Army National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, and the Texas State Guard.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,414,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And the reporter seems more interested in being smug than getting to the bottom of the story.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:05 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,436,821 times
Quote:
While I agree that this reporter has an agenda, ultimately any disagreement over "monitor" and "deploy" are very minor. Indeed, at the end of the day, the troops were "deployed" in order to "monitor" activity.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,866,915 times

Jen Sorensen | Cartoonist, Writer, Cultural Panopticon

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I agree that this reporter has an agenda, ultimately any disagreement over "monitor" and "deploy" are very minor. Indeed, at the end of the day, the troops were "deployed" in order to "monitor" activity.
One word is loaded with mental images of weaponry, armored vehicles, etc. and the other is not. The journalist (and I use that term generously in this case) knew the difference and chose the more inflammatory word.

And, as was pointed out in an earlier post, the Texas Governor didn't call for a deployment of the National Guard. He asked the Texas State Guard (not the same thing) to monitor the situation.

Like I said, poor reporting.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:02 AM

30,750 posts, read 18,436,821 times
Quote:
One word is loaded with mental images of weaponry, armored vehicles, etc. and the other is not. The journalist (and I use that term generously in this case) knew the difference and chose the more inflammatory word.

And, as was pointed out in an earlier post, the Texas Governor didn't call for a deployment of the National Guard. He asked the Texas State Guard (not the same thing) to monitor the situation.

Like I said, poor reporting.
But he's still doing both; this is a point where the use of the word is still very much accurate (the governor did, in fact, deploy the Texas Guard (no, not the national guard as the article claims . . . this is a legitimate grievance and an example of inaccurate/poor reporting). The use of the word "deploy" was not/is not wrong in any sense, as that is exactly what the governor did (again, he deployed in order to monitor), which is why I took issue with your earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events