Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
LOL @ the nitpicking over the use of "monitor" vs "deploy" - no wonder we can't get anything done anymore. We nitpick ourselves over the dumbest s**t. Whatever it takes to defend whatever side we're on, because the other guys don't love this country, right?

Our Governor is a moron, the guy he replaced is a moron. The guy that guy replaced is a moron too. LOL, I think you have to go back to Ann Richards to find a Governor of Texas that wasn't a moron.

Good thing it's Cinco de Mayo, I need a drink.
If you don't know the difference between monitoring something and a military deployment, maybe you should quit drinking for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Our Governor is a moron, the guy he replaced is a moron. The guy that guy replaced is a moron too. LOL, I think you have to go back to Ann Richards to find a Governor of Texas that wasn't a moron.
Yes, we get it. You believe all Republicans are morons.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
This story by the way, is ridiculous, and embarrassing. Just my opinion and view.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-05-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 02:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
The major dispute here seems be over semantics. The difference between "deploy" and "monitor"

I think whichever word you use its bat**** crazy to think the Texas National Guard is needed for either purpose.

Gotta remember this is the state who's last Governor talk positively about a state's right to secede from the union as a legal concept. I am glad I can pick where I live (and don't live).

Old 05-05-2015, 02:21 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
The people down here are obsessed with the federal government. This issue reminds me of the whole craze that Obama is going to take yours guns. So the gullible go out and buy more and more and more. With this brainwashing, which gets an assist from Faux News, these folks are spending ridiculous amounts stocking up on extra guns and ammo. They have no idea that they are being conned & the only winners are gun makers & store owners lining their pockets.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,086 times
Nuttiness knows no bounds...imo.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 05-05-2015 at 02:31 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 02:47 PM

I do have a question though, and it's a legitimate one I believe.

Here is a list of military installations in Texas:
List of military installations in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a map of the locations of the major military installations:
http://www.window.state.tx.us/comptr...efense_map.png

Fort Bliss has over 1 MILLION acres of land in Texas and New Mexico. Fort Hood has about 157,000 acres.

Here's the map of the operations area - does anyone know the significance of the circle drawn in a large area of Texas? I'm sort of curious myself since I live within that circle.
https://twitter.com/CheckpointWP/sta...496896/photo/1

I just wonder why there is so much private land involved when Texas has such an abundance of military installations.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
An officer in the Texas state guard used "deploy" 3 times in an article he wrote about implementing software management. I don't see the problem with using the word to describe implementing a procedure or resources. The US military might use it exclusively to describe troop movement but they don't own the word.

The Texas State Guard deployed an IT management solution to improve a network that supports a statewide emergency response system.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
An officer in the Texas state guard used "deploy" 3 times in an article he wrote about implementing software management. I don't see the problem with using the word to describe implementing a procedure or resources. The US military might use it exclusively to describe troop movement but they don't own the word.

The Texas State Guard deployed an IT management solution to improve a network that supports a statewide emergency response system.

I agree with you on this, actually.

But my point is that the governor did NOT use the word "deploy" regarding the military, and that was for a reason. He used the word "monitor" - for a reason. In this context, the two mean something quite different. Those who are insinuating that Texas troops are deploying to keep federal troops under control know they're being inflammatory and stretching the meaning of the directive.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 PM

837 posts, read 2,333,889 times
Look, I'm as moderate as they come. However, whether your state guard was deployed or ready to monitor, it all happened over unfounded conspiracy rumors that makes the state look really bad. Ever heard of the story of the Boy who cried wolf?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events