Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They are afforded the same rights as anyone else who is arrested, bail was set for each of them, they have the right to an attorney and one will be appointed if they can't afford it. They are entitled to have their case heard before a jury of their peers. So how are they being denied due process?
"Justice" and "due process" are not the same thing at least in this situation (depending on who you listen to).
It's kind of obvious what "justice" means to the Mayor and many Pols as well as many citizens and that has nothing to do with the process. It has a lot to do with "get out the rope".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"Justice" and "due process" are not the same thing at least in this situation (depending on who you listen to).
It's kind of obvious what "justice" means to the Mayor and many Pols as well as many citizens and that has nothing to do with the process. It has a lot to do with "get out the rope".
It doesn't matter what justice means to the Mayor, she is not a judge, nor are the citizens. The cops will be tried in court and afforded the same due process as anyone else who is arrested so let it go now, this is just silly you are making stuff up so that you can continue to reiterate the same point over and over and over...

Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 PM

163 posts, read 125,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
but cops are going after everyone.
Did you read about the time a highway was shut down and mothers and children were forced to sit in the road handcuffed while the police searched the cars for a bankrobber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wonder what NEW types of training the police are getting where they are willing to shoot/maim first, then ask what happened after it's over.
I've heard something about this new method of operations. Maybe we've moved into a different phase and don't know it - a police state (country).

Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
There is a flaw in your argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The cops will be tried in court and afforded the same due process as anyone else who is arrested.
No the cops will not be afforded the same due process as anyone. They will be offered bail that is actually possible to secure, they won't have to depend on a public defender so overwhelmed by clients that they rarely get a chance to even talk to them before a first arraignment.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
BBM

Pardon my ignorance but I never heard that word used. What's the meaning of it?
I read all the posts here. It seems as if 'skell' means the public, a citizen, a non-police.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When will we hear about those that were arrested for the looting and burning? I want to see them sitting in their cells in prison.

I am thinking it was on the news that 246 black people in Baltimore were killed by other blacks and no riots or marches on the street for any of them.

War on the police is really war on law and order in the USA. And it is very easy to see who is waging that war.

Exactly who is it you think is 'waging that war'? I think a whole lot of people are not happy with what they are seeing. The American public has a very clear sense of innate fairness and balance of power.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
When will we hear about those that were arrested for the looting and burning?
I think there was something like 20 arrests and there will probably be more.
Quote:
I am thinking it was on the news that 246 black people in Baltimore were killed by other blacks and no riots or marches on the street for any of them.
Can you rephrase this? Are you saying that 246 African American people in Baltimore were killed by other African Americans, and, at the time there were no riots going on?

Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good news that this case is going to trial. Too often cases involving officers don't even make it that far.
I agree. And what caused this particular case to be brought to trial? Video. I saw on the news a police officer smashing a woman's phone because she was videotaping an arrest. What the officer didn't know was that someone else was taping the woman getting her phone smashed by the police. By the way, it is legal to tape the police as long as you're not impeding them.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I'd predict police departments in places like Baltimore will have a difficult time retaining and recruiting Cops in the near future.

Who can risk someone dying in your custody and you being prosecuted for murder just to appease an angry crowd.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I'd predict police departments in places like Baltimore will have a difficult time retaining and recruiting Cops in the near future.

Who can risk someone dying in your custody and you being prosecuted for murder just to appease an angry crowd.
So it was Gray who decided to be swung around the back of the police van by his wrists? Gray decided to smash his spine into a bolt at such a velocity as to sever it?
You apologists are too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events