Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 02:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

The lack of insulation is one of the things that concerns me about the family's living quarters. In her blog, Nicole Naugler admits that they ran short of funds before they were able to insulate the structure. That's not a good situation. Kentucky gets very, very cold. I once camped in zero-degree weather in southern Kentucky. I was well-equipped, and it was brutal. I would not want young children exposed to such extreme conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 02:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Let's not get carried away, bud.

Mick
Why not?

That's what "parents" and the "gov" are best at here!

Kids are bullied because parents don't parent
Parents don't parent because they don't want CPS at their doors
No maternity leave to speak off
Kids learn to keep up with the Jonses early on...6 year old: "But mommy, Kathy has an iPhone/iPad/Insert other tablet here____________!"
We are offered "BLINDERS" at grocery stores when we ask that they move the sleazy magazines elsewhere and not place them on the conveyor belt side where we try to get our kid to help out with the groceries
We are constantly reminded of how bad we are for not breastfeeding
Those who breastfeed aren't allowed to do it publicly apparently
Baby sitters cost an arm and a leg
Daycares cost more than RENT or MORTGAGE so most work just to pay that and have nothing left to save or travel or do anything enriching their INTELLECT
Certain disabilities are not covered by health insurance policies
Stay at home moms have NO RESPECT or get any financial help when looking to get a different degree
Stay at home moms are not welcomed back to work; they have to start back out on minimum wage; few exceptions from that rule exist.
We're expected to pay for our kids college too
We can;t take our kids to see the arts because the cost is too prohibitive for those with more than one kid.
We have to put up with this push for sports non stop, while everything else is MOCKED by BOTH other parents and their children.
We have to listen to how NOT to teach our kids being FAT is wrong, and UNHEALTHY, and how we should encourage big butts(Meghan Trainor has an HYMN to that as well)
Everything is a freaking disorder; ohh, your child is overactive, let's give him some RITALIN!
Teens apparently are so uneducated and interested in anything intellectual that their hang out is the many, many, many MALLS!
SHOPPING is encouraged as EARLY AS 5 YEARS OLD. I got a survey from DISNEY asking what my 5 year's shopping habits were!

Should I go on?

Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why not?

That's what "parents" and the "gov" are best at here!

Kids are bullied because parents don't parent
Parents don't parent because they don't want CPS at their doors
No maternity leave to speak off
Kids learn to keep up with the Jonses early on...6 year old: "But mommy, Kathy has an iPhone/iPad/Insert other tablet here____________!"
We are offered "BLINDERS" at grocery stores when we ask that they move the sleazy magazines elsewhere and not place them on the conveyor belt side where we try to get our kid to help out with the groceries
We are constantly reminded of how bad we are for not breastfeeding
Those who breastfeed aren't allowed to do it publicly apparently
Baby sitters cost an arm and a leg
Daycares cost more than RENT or MORTGAGE so most work just to pay that and have nothing left to save or travel or do anything enriching their INTELLECT
Certain disabilities are not covered by health insurance policies
Stay at home moms have NO RESPECT or get any financial help when looking to get a different degree
Stay at home moms are not welcomed back to work; they have to start back out on minimum wage; few exceptions from that rule exist.
We're expected to pay for our kids college too
We can;t take our kids to see the arts because the cost is too prohibitive for those with more than one kid.
We have to put up with this push for sports non stop, while everything else is MOCKED by BOTH other parents and their children.
We have to listen to how NOT to teach our kids being FAT is wrong, and UNHEALTHY, and how we should encourage big butts(Meghan Trainor has an HYMN to that as well)
Everything is a freaking disorder; ohh, your child is overactive, let's give him some RITALIN!
Teens apparently are so uneducated and interested in anything intellectual that their hang out is the many, many, many MALLS!
SHOPPING is encouraged as EARLY AS 5 YEARS OLD. I got a survey from DISNEY asking what my 5 year's shopping habits were!

Should I go on?
I'm 55 years old and our favorite hangout when I was an adolescent was the mall...... The Galleria in Houston was the BEST back in the early 70's.....

Old 05-14-2015, 02:42 PM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The lack of insulation is one of the things that concerns me about the family's living quarters. In her blog, Nicole Naugler admits that they ran short of funds before they were able to insulate the structure. That's not a good situation. Kentucky gets very, very cold. I once camped in zero-degree weather in southern Kentucky. I was well-equipped, and it was brutal. I would not want young children exposed to such extreme conditions.

They do have a wood burning stove inside the house for heat. What they have look no different than the shacks I see throughout PA in the mountains - and yes they are inhabited.

The oldest son is 15, not 19 - and to the one poster - what CSS says the boy said and what he actually said may be 2 different things. Just like when the media offers a story but leaves the pertinent lines out and so the words taken out of context show a completely different story.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Alex Brow, the son who testified, is nineteen-years-old and was removed from the father's custody at age four. He grew up with his paternal uncle and testified in court that his father subjected him to both physical and sexual abuse. The article quotes Nicole Naugler as stating that their oldest is fifteen, which is accurate. Nicole is not Alex Brow's mother.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-14-2015 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 02:56 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I was once involved in a CPS case while my ex was trying to get custody of his kid from the child's abusive and mentally ill bio mom. I follow cases like this closely.

First of all, there is A LOT that the CPS cannot talk about to the media or the public. Meanwhile, the parents can say whatever they want. In Jersey, there was a case where the parents claimed their children were taken away from them because the parents named them after famous Nazis. Some people tracked down the "names redacted" public records of the case, and it turned out the household was rife with abuse, violence and addiction. The children were already exhibiting severe mental health issues. But all the casual observer knew nothing but what the unhinged parents were telling the press.

Incidentally, the father went on to have another child with another woman recently - the kid was immediately removed from their custody.

What I see when I consider this case is a two things that set off alarms for me.

1) Look at the pictures of the "house." I'm well-acquainted with the off-the-grid lifestyle, but these people are in Kentucky living in an open-air, makeshift shelter. There are homeless camps that are more sophisticated, and the earliest settlers in this country had actual, you know, houses. The Native Americans who were dismissed as "savages" by colonial settlers had more sophisticated dwellings, for god's sake. And this is IN KENTUCKY. It's not all sunshine and warm weather there.

2) The adult son testified against them.

Because of those two items, I'm not gonna start shrieking about parental rights or government overreach, ya know?
This this this. It took years of abuse for my ex to be removed from his Munchhausen's by proxy mother because it is just that hard to remove a child. He was forced to have unsupervised visits with his dad in hopes of reuniting (not what was recommended by his case agent and not what he wanted). During one of those visits, his father overdosed and my ex was the one discover his body. He was 12.

In this case, the father's oldest son was removed from the home PERMANENTLY at 4 years old due to physical and sexual abuse. He was raised by his uncle. This story goes far beyond substandard housing and homeschooling.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 PM

185 posts, read 196,207 times
is the father was guilty of physical and sexual abuse of the older boy was he convicted and put in jail? If he was guilty of that, then he should have been. Are there current accusations of physical or sexual abuse?

Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That man has 11 kids and 1 on the way, some people breed like rats!. Those living conditions are beyond living off the grid not much better than a homeless camp.
And he believes in a "unschooled" (not home-schooled) approach to raising kids. These people are a good argument for forced sterilization. That woman's next baby should go directly to CPS, the day it's born.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 05-14-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 04:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The Amish stop at a 6th grade level of education...
Actually it stops at the 8th grade, not the 6th grade, but I don't believe that Amish kids are prohibited from continuing on with their education, past that level. Thats the minimum level of education they must have.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
[quote=JrzDefector;39616194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

And my experience with CPS involved a lot of hard-working people who were doing the best they could in less-than-ideal circumstances, with one hand tied behind their back.

And given what I saw while sitting in waiting rooms, I was not really impressed with a lot of the clientele. The best was the clearly inebriated father complaining about how his kid got bitten by a dog while in foster care, which I would have sympathized with if he hadn't broken the kid's collarbone in the first place.

And nice to roll out the exaggerations/distortions.

Why do I have a problem with Kentucky if I point out that the weather isn't really conducive with year-round open air living?

I don't care about the dirt floors or the lack of running water or that it's not a nice house - I care about the fact that it doesn't appear to provide solid insulation or reasonable protection from the elements. Putting up a reasonable structure doesn't take a lot of effort. Heck, I know people who could put together something with more solid construction than that "cabin" in a day. 12 people are living in that thing, for god's sake. It doesn't need to look like a McMansion, but it needs to be structurally sound and provide reasonable shelter.

And tell me, based on what evidence do you know that the eldest son is just a "moody teenager"? Or is that just what you prefer to believe because it fits with your worldview?
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This this this. It took years of abuse for my ex to be removed from his Munchhausen's by proxy mother because it is just that hard to remove a child. He was forced to have unsupervised visits with his dad in hopes of reuniting (not what was recommended by his case agent and not what he wanted). During one of those visits, his father overdosed and my ex was the one discover his body. He was 12.

In this case, the father's oldest son was removed from the home PERMANENTLY at 4 years old due to physical and sexual abuse. He was raised by his uncle. This story goes far beyond substandard housing and homeschooling.
Agree with both these posts. As a former inner city teacher, I know first hand that getting children removed from a home where there's neglect but no evidence of physical or sexual abuse is virtually impossible. For the judge to order the children removed indicates that he/she believes the children are in danger, not just that they're living in lousy conditions. It's even hard to get children out of homes where there is physical abuse, although the tolerance for that has significantly diminished because of the numerous cases of abused children being killed by people in the homes.

Furthermore, this case is from Kentucky where CPS is familiar with grinding rural poverty and people living like they did 80-100 years ago out in the hills, not from Long Island or from Southern California. Kentucy CPS is not rounding up all the poor kids who live in shacks out in the boonies nor are they rounding up all the kids who are being home schooled or those who are from large families. There's a whole lot more to this story than is being put forward in the media or by the parents' propaganda machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events