Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,219,332 times

Advertisements

Teens are fleeing religion like never before: Massive new study exposes religion’s decline

Old 05-29-2015, 05:07 AM

969 posts, read 828,394 times
Meanwhile, those with college educations in the US are now more likely to be religious than those without college education.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-1960s.html

I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,101,341 times
Is it any wonder with an increasingly permissive society that our youth are fleeing ordered and full lives with the examples set for them
Corrupt politicians
Bloated government taking care of them
Fat cat corporate types
Over paid sports or Hollywood types
Horrible schooling
Decrepit parenting
Drug availability
Corrupt religions ..or the people who claim them
Lack of personal understanding of a relationship with god.

If there was ever a time our youth needed guidance its now

Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 AM

40,999 posts, read 49,386,979 times
That's sad news. Religion plays a real role in teaching people basic laws of humanity and how to treat your fellow man.

It's one of the problems of inner city youth.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,795,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's sad news. Religion plays a real role in teaching people basic laws of humanity and how to treat your fellow man.

It's one of the problems of inner city youth.
The problems of inner city youth are bad parenting, not lack of religion. There's a lot of atheist parents that raise perfectly fine and moral children.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,774,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Meanwhile, those with college educations in the US are now more likely to be religious than those without college education.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-1960s.html

I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture.
Interesting find, and a bit surprising. Also encouraging, because a lot of the propaganda out there portrays religious people as rubes who are fearful or ignorant. I think most of us know that is not always or even usually the case but it is nice to see something that backs that up.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:10 AM

7,733 posts, read 12,662,057 times
I often wonder where these studies are coming from because I see the complete opposite. The Bible App is one of the most downloaded and popular apps of all time with over 100 million downloads. Most of whom are teens that make up the bulk. Megachurches are still growing at an ever rapid rate and there are thousands upon thousands of teen ministries that are popular and growing. High schools all over have Christian clubs that are still populated to this day. There are many Christian rave-type concerts that are populated with teens. A Christian resurgence in the Hollywood industry has been making the rounds for the past few years with the success of the Bible miniseries, Heaven Is For Real, Duck Dynasty, Preachers of LA, etc. Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer are still as popular as ever. Christian bands like Hillsong and it's churches are popular in the big cities with teens and college students alike. They even have a film coming out. I'd take these studies with a grain of salt.

Last edited by allenk893; 05-29-2015 at 06:19 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 AM

40,999 posts, read 49,386,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problems of inner city youth are bad parenting, not lack of religion. There's a lot of atheist parents that raise perfectly fine and moral children.
No doubt when there are good Atheist parents.
But when there are sucky parents, the church can play a big role in teaching youth how to treat their fellow man.

You say 2 things ........ bad parents is the problem, good parents teach well. That's very true.
The church can fill the space of having very bad parents.
Bad atheist parents lack this option.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,419,844 times
I also like to add, there's a new pop song out now as we speak from the number one pop singer in the world, I'll find out later who the young lady is bragging about a hot good looking catholic boy who's the team Capt. and good friend to all., so much for that fu fu left leaning religious haters who prop up everything except religion, leaving out, Muslim Hindu, Catholics, Baptist, Christians and the like, too hip, to cool, for something that sounds made up. Nice try by Raw, giving fuel to Atheist, who believe in nothing..

I throw the BS flag.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:30 AM

19,755 posts, read 10,201,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No doubt when there are good Atheist parents.
But when there are sucky parents, the church can play a big role in teaching youth how to treat their fellow man.

You say 2 things ........ bad parents is the problem, good parents teach well. That's very true.
The church can fill the space of having very bad parents.
Bad atheist parents lack this option.
Some people are just so prejudiced and wrong. Teenagers are getting away from religion because they know the difference between fantasy and reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events