Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

Lol teens?

That's rich.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM
acw

72 posts, read 73,161 times
Teens are being dumbed down more than ever.

Consider the following
  • -most teens spend 1-3hrs (avg) playing video games
  • -more teens have ADD than ever
  • -more illegal drug use than ever by teens
  • -more teens come from single parent homes
  • -more teens dying from drug related deaths
  • -more teens committing suicide
  • -more teens in jail than ever
  • :-(

I hope this study is right....teens leaving controlling Religions that teach "turning off your brain" is the correct philosophy is NOT the way we should teach our children.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 AM

708 posts, read 721,099 times
Teens have learned from their parents. If their parents never went to church then teens never did.
Religion brings so many riches to your life but if they don't experience it they never will understand.
That is why I believe the report on the College Educated people tend to go to church more often as
they understand the importance of learning about God and religion and how much it brings to you
as you live your life.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:34 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Democrats hope and pray that teenagers are rejecting religion. Praying to the God of the Democrat party dosen't work. They know if they put this out and repeat it enough people will start to believe it.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well they don't need religion anymore. The government determines what is moral or not via legislation now.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
I find it interesting that some people construe this as a bad thing.

Believe it or not, most of us non-Christians don't go out and rape, murder, and steal. We are perfectly capable of a moral upbringing without being told that people in the Old Testament lived to be 900 years old or that a giant boat was built and animals put on it to escape a giant flood.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Is it any wonder with an increasingly permissive society that our youth are fleeing ordered and full lives with the examples set for them
Corrupt politicians
Bloated government taking care of them
Fat cat corporate types
Over paid sports or Hollywood types
Horrible schooling
Decrepit parenting
Drug availability
Corrupt religions ..or the people who claim them
Lack of personal understanding of a relationship with god.

If there was ever a time our youth needed guidance its now

Money says, bpitch please...

Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
I was a non-belieiving teen and then at age 20 the Lord spoke to me. Granted, when I was younger I really didn't understand my faith (Christianity) nor could I recite any bible verses.

I am not intending to bash my parents, but I don't think I had a good introduction into Christianity. Even though they're married we only went to church with my mom (unless it was a holiday). Secondly, We stopped going at age 10. I never understand why we went to church, why we prayed, or anything the Bible said.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times
Religion is WAY to political, and teens/young adults can pick up on that. It's also extremely judgemental and critical about other beliefs outside the faith, sometimes even damning those that hold those beliefs.

No wonder why people are leaving. I can't help but think too the Pope being accepting of homosexuality is just not another political ploy to bring the Catholic faith back to power. I mean, they only damned homosexuals for years...

Also, I grew up in a super catholic family and left the religion when I was in my late teens. I still believe in God, teachings of the bible, and always striving to do good, but religion is just so damn political. I don't associate myself with any religion currently. I was also sick of being told things like masturbation or eating meat on Fridays during Lent were mortal sins that would damn me to hell... I also hated that the religion damned other faiths, when I knew so many wonderful good hearted people from other faiths, all while so many Catholic 'good doers" were complete hypocrites who lived horrible lives outside of their Sunday mass. And the financial campaigns, the church needs your money!, made such a huge focus when really the focus should be on spirituality. The requests to donate are shoved down your throat so much. I even tried to go back to mass in my mid twenties and was instantly reminded why I left in the first place as nothing changed.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Meanwhile, those with college educations in the US are now more likely to be religious than those without college education.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ter-1960s.html

I wonder if it's possible to tie these two trends into a more parsimonious picture.

That is a flawed study. No millenials were surveyed so how could "are now more likely to be religious..." make any sense?

The youngest person in the study is 37.

Identifying with a religion does not mean you believe it or follow it. It mostly means you were born Catholic or Jewish. It doesn't mean you attend anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events