Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM

325 posts, read 255,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
Seriously everyone is a liar? You don't believe anyone is financially responsible? I believe people lie online, it's easy to do but I don't think everyone who has been responsible is a liar. Others might have been irresponsible in the past and learned from that, so they are speaking from experience of wasting money on unneeded stuff. I know people who are very responsible now who will say living beyond your means causes problems because they lived it and lost everything from doing it.

I'm sure posters here have bought that stuff, they didn't say don't buy that stuff. If you can afford it go for it. If you can afford a TV, cable, a yatch, 5 homes whatever luxury items your income supports you should get it. I also don't think it's bad to make short term payments if you want something now. That's different from what people are talking about I believe. It's kind of stupid to constantly buy things you don't need and can't afford, go on trips you can't afford and eat out 3-4 times a week you will having nothing to show for 30k debt in the long run. Some people do this.

I'm not a self made millionaire lol. I have bought non necessities. I had an overdraft on my joint bank account when my ex made a $500 purchase he wrote a check for and didn't tell me about. I wouldn't intentionally miss a payment.

You believe everyone who has financial issues is because of a legit reasons rogue mentioned? You don't believe anyone chooses to spend more than they make and cause problems for themselves? You've never known a single irresponsible person? I know it seems crazy and illogical but people actually do these things.

It's an apples to oranges issue, like I said different situations. For some it's the reasons Rogue mentioned and for others what Orlando mentioned. Sometimes it's a combination hardship did befall them, however if they had made adjustments it would have been temporary but they wanted to continue the same lifestyle which made everything worse and blew up in their face.

My Co worker, my ex, others I know have over spent frequently and with no regard to how they are ever going to pay it back or pay their bills. If someone wants to pay minimum payments till they die or be behind on all their bills if they don't have credit that is their choice but it can't be blamed on legit reasons rogue mentioned.
I live under my means according to a budget. I just dumped my big bank that I've been with for 15 years and moved all my accounts to my local credit union. Why? Because I've noticed that auto payments have been delayed posting as much as two weeks after the date specified, although they show paid on time on the payee's end, and the day before my direct deposit hits, the bank would process everything at once and try to trigger an overdraft from my savings, for which they charge me 12.50. for example, I have an automatic transfer to savings each payday. I also have a bill which pays on the 30th of each month. Last month the transfer to savings occurred 3 days before the payment was due. This reduced my balance in checking, and although the bill was paid by the bank on the 30TH, they didn't deduct it from my available balance until the 11th of the next month- the day before payday. As I frequently check my balance online, I'm sure they profile and look for opportunity to make the bank money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 03:57 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
I live under my means according to a budget. I just dumped my big bank that I've been with for 15 years and moved all my accounts to my local credit union. Why? Because I've noticed that auto payments have been delayed posting as much as two weeks after the date specified, although they show paid on time on the payee's end, and the day before my direct deposit hits, the bank would process everything at once and try to trigger an overdraft from my savings, for which they charge me 12.50. for example, I have an automatic transfer to savings each payday. I also have a bill which pays on the 30th of each month. Last month the transfer to savings occurred 3 days before the payment was due. This reduced my balance in checking, and although the bill was paid by the bank on the 30TH, they didn't deduct it from my available balance until the 11th of the next month- the day before payday. As I frequently check my balance online, I'm sure they profile and look for opportunity to make the bank money.
Credit card companys used to hold onto payments for days in order to trigger a late charge too. Some used to quit processing payments at noon on Thursday so anything due between then and Monday wouldn't be credited in time if it came after noon Thursday. I believe that's against the law now. But I thought the bank shenanegans were against the law too, so I may be mistaken.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:58 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
One thing I did that helped..........we have a small business.

That made phones........insurances..........and many other things write offs.

You still have to make the money to write them off from.........but, it helps the bottom line.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:14 AM

872 posts, read 827,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ok, let's try this again. the number she cited was obviously wrong, but was not my issue- THIS sentence is what I was talking about:

I am not taking about the 50 tech workers who must have done something wrong to lose their jobs to H1B Indian workers this week.

750 people replaced by non-citizens and she claims they must have done something wrong to lose their job...

Unreal...do you agree with the OP, did 750 skilled tech workers must have done something wrong to lose their jobs?
I copied and pasted what you had in your post. Yes, I did miss the 7 on the 750. But, the rest is what you wrote. I only copied it.

Quote:
Nice to know you are perfect Tassy, tell that to the 750 tech workers who must have done something wrong to lose their jobs to H1B Indian workers this week And CEO's will constrain their salary if they are publicly shamed for taking outrageous pay and bonuses as they are in Japan. But as long as we have folks who blame the workers and give the CEO's a free pass, why should they do anything that might be considered moral or decent?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 AM

110 posts, read 123,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Yes, and how many of them drink a beer, or eat Little Debbies? The cheeky baztards!

You want to fight tobacco addiction - make it illegal to have any tobacco. No pipes, no cigars, no hookahs no chew - nothing. Drive tobacco underground. Make people go to seedy neighborhoods and find a dangerous looking guy hanging on a corner to buy their highly addictive products from.

Dont use it as an excuse to tax poor people into oblivion, if you really could care less.
I don't believe in restricting freedom of others. That said, I don't believe in subsidizing those who make choices that limit their ability to maintain financial stability.

Why do find it necessary to take a statistical reality and turn it into a some subversive plot to outlaw tobacco products and assume my intention regarding my post is to tax poor people into oblivion?? I have no legal right to tax anyone?

I said nothing about fighting tobacco addiction, I posted statistics that show that smoking is prevalent among those living below the poverty line. The decision about smoking is their choice and responsibility, and the consequences of that choice should be their responsibility as well.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:15 AM

110 posts, read 123,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post

Insurance companies premiums are either checks or direct withdrawals.

Large purchases (cars, jewelry, down payments for homes) rarely accept credit (and at most, for a limited amount due to the transaction fees) or debit cards. Checks are the preferred method of payment.

Costco only accepts Amex, debit, or checks...and there are lots of youngish people clogging the Costco lines writing up checks.

You can't do electronic transfers for everything (we pay our CC bills, mortgage and utilities online).

EXACTLY - I have two situations in which I HAVE to write checks for payment. Drives me crazy, but the fact is, check writing is NOT just an "old people's" activity.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I did. And I know numerous others that did. You need a financial plan that does't come from someone who will profit from your decisions. Limit yourself to a house that you can pay off in 10 years. It's choice, not need, that drives this.

Your choice. If you want to work for bankers because of wants, that is your choice.
What are you even talking about?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Mortgages are debt. I don't know of anyone who owns a home that has paid off their mortgage by their late 40's.
My husband and I did it by our late thirties. We purchased our first home right out of college in a fairly inexpensive part of the country. We rolled up our equity every time we bought a new house, sticking with a payment of no more than 25% of gross household income and the original time frame. Seventeen years, three time zones, and four properties later, we wrote a check for our current home. I'm not saying everybody can or should do it, but we do exist.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-08-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2015, 12:03 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My husband and I did it by our late thirties. We purchased our first home right out of college in a fairly inexpensive part of the country. We rolled up our equity every time we bought a new house, sticking with a payment of no more than 25% of gross household income and the original time frame. Seventeen years, three time zones, and four properties later, we wrote a check for our current home. I'm not saying everybody can or should do it, but we do exist.
I know a couple who did it by mid 30's with 4 kids and only moderately paying jobs. They were fortunate that the husband was handy. So they lived in a trailer for a few years. Then rented out the trailer (enough $$ to pay about half their house payment) and put a down payment on a fixer upper house. They lived there for a couple years while renovating, sold it and did it again. Then they bought a lot and built a new home where they lived several years. They did all but electrical, plumbing, and foundation on that one. By that time they had enough money to buy a small ranch with a nice house for cash.

Wish I was as handy, but I'm not so I'm stuck with a mortgage.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I know a couple who did it by mid 30's with 4 kids and only moderately paying jobs. They were fortunate that the husband was handy. So they lived in a trailer for a few years. Then rented out the trailer (enough $$ to pay about half their house payment) and put a down payment on a fixer upper house. They lived there for a couple years while renovating, sold it and did it again. Then they bought a lot and built a new home where they lived several years. They did all but electrical, plumbing, and foundation on that one. By that time they had enough money to buy a small ranch with a nice house for cash.

Wish I was as handy, but I'm not so I'm stuck with a mortgage.
That's pretty cool. Posters like thefragile seem to think people like us are unicorns, but we do exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events