Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Boy, you have drunk the "kool-aid" hook, line, and sinker.

It has nothing to do with the astronomical and rising health care costs, rising food costs, energy costs, taxes, etc., the off-shoring or "dumbing down" of formerly good paying, American jobs, the stagnation in wages in many sectors, it's all the fault of people spending too much of their "disposable" income on luxury items, right? If we would just stop buying those fancy coffees and things, we'd be prospering.... Tell us all about it, Dave Ramsey.

That's the way those in power want us to think, and you've bought into it and are towing the line beautifully.
My point is that no matter how much your annual income is, you shouldn't spend more than you make. It's no secret that Americans have been doing this for years. It's simple math.
Sound like you believe in unlimited spending, regardless of your income... Ever think about becoming a polititian?
Who is Dave Ramsey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Americans have been living beyond their means for many years. Many have massive credit card debt and they are still eating out at restaurants And bars way to often. They can't go a day without their Starbucks, Netflix, HBO and Showtime. Everyone in the family has to have a cell phones with Internet. We have to have the latest video games and sattelite radio. Americans need to cut up the credit cards and stop spending more than they make, and save some money for that rainy day.
I agree, some people seem to have no sense of a budget or where their money is going. They want and want and think what they want is a necessity.
I generally use my credit cards more like debit cards. Responsible credit cards use is okay but when you use it to leave way beyond your means you can lose everything eventually.

Quote:
Boy, you have drunk the "kool-aid" hook, line, and sinker.

It has nothing to do with the astronomical and rising health care costs, rising food costs, energy costs, taxes, etc., the off-shoring or "dumbing down" of formerly good paying, American jobs, the stagnation in wages in many sectors, it's all the fault of people spending too much of their "disposable" income on luxury items, right? If we would just stop buying those fancy coffees and things, we'd be prospering.... Tell us all about it, Dave Ramsey.

That's the way those in power want us to think, and you've bought into it and are towing the line beautifully.
I agree with the poster to a degree and not based on "kool-aid" (what some guy wants me to think) based on observation. I agree with you too on the issues you listed. As it's different situations for different people. Not everyone has debt or financial issues for the same reasons.

There are people with great jobs who have a massive amount of debt and others that went bankrupt over stupid choices.

Some pepple need to take personal responsibility for instance my Co worker months behind on rent and utilities (has went without water and/or gas), has had bank accounts closed hundreds in the negative, lots of collections from various cell phone, cable & satellite companies as well as other companies who are never going to see that money. Sometimes we have hardships but when you know the situation they've been evicted for back rent from numerous locations starting back over 10yrs and have had older unpaid debts, etc it's on going because of their choices. They've been close to caught up on things but put wants first and don't save when they can so when extra money is needed they don't have it. They can't afford to pay what should be priority but they can buy new phone, surround sound, video games, ect, ect. It boggles my mind.

I can't afford to get the gas back on.....next day: look what I just bought
Other times seems responsible wanted to do this/get this but don't have the money...... Same day:guess what I'm doing / just got. A couple times I said I thought you didn't have the money - they wrote a bad check smh so I guess over draft fee is worth something senseless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
My point is that no matter how much your annual income is, you shouldn't spend more than you make. It's no secret that Americans have been doing this for years. It's simple math.
Sound like you believe in unlimited spending, regardless of your income... Ever think about becoming a polititian?
Who is Dave Ramsey?
Lol I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited by APBT_Samara; 06-02-2015 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
This. I love how every poster on here is such a responsible saver. Never buys any luxuries such as going out to dinner, going to a movie, getting a tv, a computer, cable. They all are self made millionaires who have never been late EVER or had an overdraft EVER, never missed a payment EVER. They alone are the smug ones & everyone else is irresponsible, the loafers, the losers who blow their money on crap......you know what I call those posters? Liars, every one of them.
Seriously everyone is a liar? You don't believe anyone is financially responsible? I believe people lie online, it's easy to do but I don't think everyone who has been responsible is a liar. Others might have been irresponsible in the past and learned from that, so they are speaking from experience of wasting money on unneeded stuff. I know people who are very responsible now who will say living beyond your means causes problems because they lived it and lost everything from doing it.

I'm sure posters here have bought that stuff, they didn't say don't buy that stuff. If you can afford it go for it. If you can afford a TV, cable, a yatch, 5 homes whatever luxury items your income supports you should get it. I also don't think it's bad to make short term payments if you want something now. That's different from what people are talking about I believe. It's kind of stupid to constantly buy things you don't need and can't afford, go on trips you can't afford and eat out 3-4 times a week you will having nothing to show for 30k debt in the long run. Some people do this.

I'm not a self made millionaire lol. I have bought non necessities. I had an overdraft on my joint bank account when my ex made a $500 purchase he wrote a check for and didn't tell me about. I wouldn't intentionally miss a payment.

You believe everyone who has financial issues is because of a legit reasons rogue mentioned? You don't believe anyone chooses to spend more than they make and cause problems for themselves? You've never known a single irresponsible person? I know it seems crazy and illogical but people actually do these things.

It's an apples to oranges issue, like I said different situations. For some it's the reasons Rogue mentioned and for others what Orlando mentioned. Sometimes it's a combination hardship did befall them, however if they had made adjustments it would have been temporary but they wanted to continue the same lifestyle which made everything worse and blew up in their face.

My Co worker, my ex, others I know have over spent frequently and with no regard to how they are ever going to pay it back or pay their bills. If someone wants to pay minimum payments till they die or be behind on all their bills if they don't have credit that is their choice but it can't be blamed on legit reasons rogue mentioned.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
This. I love how every poster on here is such a responsible saver. Never buys any luxuries such as going out to dinner, going to a movie, getting a tv, a computer, cable. They all are self made millionaires who have never been late EVER or had an overdraft EVER, never missed a payment EVER. They alone are the smug ones & everyone else is irresponsible, the loafers, the losers who blow their money on crap......you know what I call those posters? Liars, every one of them.
Exactly! But when I read the posts from some of the brilliant people on CD who shoveled snow when they were 3 and opened their first store when they were 10, never got a traffic ticket, paid their bills early and had a million in the bank by the time they were 25, I pause for a minute and remember that this is the internet and they can be whoever they want, a rock star one day and a billionaire the next

Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
For those who don't know, Dave Ramsey is a supposed financial "guru" who tells people who make more than enough sufficient income to stop wasting money on frivolous things they don't need, as though this is some kind of "genius" advice.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:54 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Another reason why I do not complain about my life. While I don't have everything I want, I have everything I need, plus a whole lot more.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,237 times
Quote:
For those who don't know, Dave Ramsey is a supposed financial "guru" who tells people who make more than enough sufficient income to stop wasting money on frivolous things they don't need, as though this is some kind of "genius" advice.
It appears this is not genius advise, just common sense if you ever hope to achieve financial security. There is something to be said for saving money.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Sad to see.

Used to only think about our generation because we were the lowest on the wage scale, but the seniors don't have the ability to change course like we do. Sad situation for people who have worked their whole lives. Let them rest if they need to.

#TheMovement for seniors?
It's more pathetic than sad. Choices have consequences. Definitely some bad cards dealt, especially later in life with Alzheimer's, but also plenty of poor choices. Poor choices kept him working into his late 70s, not Alzheimer's.

Better choices and they'd have planned for the future and not just relied on social security alone. The house purchased in 1980 would have been paid off rather than have a $288,000 mortgage refinanced to pay off credit card debt. Had it not been the Alzheimer's, in your late 70s it's pretty predictable that something is likely to come along eventually or you may just have simply wanted to retire before then.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:07 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Or they are well into retirement (and well-pensioned, most likely) retirement years - "bubble" world, I call it.

The game has changed out here. There are, and always will be, those who are irresponsible and reckless with money and who make poor choices. That is not the norm of the average working people struggling out here to keep themselves, and their families, afloat today.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It's not always just people who 'can't take care of their money'.

For example, one time I had a late payment while I was working. I was making good money for the work, and get large lump payments but my payment was late. Well I can't generate money on a whim, and I was young and didn't have a savings, so my account began to overdraft. When I got my paycheck finally I lost hundreds of dollars to overdraft fees. The opportunity cost sent me into months of catching up and a credit score knock.

I was working. Had a job. But there were things out of my control.

I just think its wrong to charge that much for each fee, and the compounded fees, etc. Not every bank deals with overdrafts the same in my experience. Some are much more forgiving and will actually work with you.
There are always things out of your control. The whole point of having savings/emergency fund is just that. If things were always in your control, you wouldn't need one. Rather than focusing on those, focus on what is in your control. You were working making good money but had no savings and were living month to month anticipating a big lump sum payment that you didn't have and spending accordingly. That was your choice, wasn't it? What did your lifestyle look like leading up to spending money you didn't yet have and overdrawing your account multiple times?

What about preparation? If you knew you were living month to month, why didn't you have a credit card? It can be an expensive emergency fund, especially if you're talking months rather than a few days or weeks where they're free. Put those charges on the credit card rather than intentionally overdrafting your account. If I were choosing to live paycheck to paycheck, I'd certainly want a credit card. Even if you have to pay a cash advance fee or a few months' of interest, it's cheaper than multiple overdraft fees.
How about a personal loan? If you chose not to have a credit card and had reasonable credit, your bank would probably have done a personal loan. The interest rates aren't great and they often have origination fees, but in most cases you can get those the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events