Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
What's with all the outrage people? It's an online petition. There's no actual legislation happening here. Have you all not figured out by now that there are crazy people all over the internet? Heck, there's a guy over on Fashion & Beauty who is calling for high heeled shoes to be banned.

Nothing to see here ... move along!
Is someone outraged?

It's just a discussion forum. Move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,108 times
Not even worthy of discussion.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
Quote:
Not even worthy of discussion.

So quit discussing it then, and let others make their own decision about whether or not to do so.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,060,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is it OK to force mutilation on a little baby?

I don't like pierced ears and never have.

I am glad my mom didn't uglify my ears without my permission.

I know a lot of women now who have ditched the earrings (esp professional women), but now they have weird holey or stretchy ears. Ew.
I am not into jewelry myself, however, in some cultures it's a common practice. Who am I to judge The Italians or Hispanics.

BTW my ears are NOT pierced.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 PM

37,648 posts, read 46,067,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
How did your doctor diagnose the cause of your metals allergy was getting your ears pierced as a baby? Why would you even think this? Did you read it on Facebook?
It's a well-published medical fact.

"Did you read it on Facebook?" LOL. I guess that is where you get your information, eh?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:38 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,829,319 times
For those people whining about it, it's a petition. Look, in a country of 64 million people you can get a bunch of people to sign a petition for almost anything.

I don't know that there should be a ban - but I do know that it's grossly irresponsible to subject a baby to ear piercing. It serves no purpose for the baby. None. The baby has no idea that it's ears are pierced. The baby does not care about looking more fashionable than the infant in the next stroller over. And, unlike cute or pretty clothes, it causes the child needless pain as well as runs the needless risk of infection.

Knock it off and quit projecting your own desires onto your baby.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,240,088 times
There are plenty of people in the UK who also want to ban circumcision.

Personally, I would not have pierced my daughter's ears if I had one, our family has a tradition of having a girl get her ears pierced when she gets her first period, as a way to mark a special transition and to make it more celebratory than "ok, here's a pad, enjoy the next 45 years."

I did have my son circumcised because I'm Jewish and it was important to me. And since that time, the medical pendulum has swung back around and there is recognition of medical benefits - enough so that the AAP recommends that insurance companies cover it, although I am not sure if the number of parents choosing it has started to go back up at all.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:50 PM

10,243 posts, read 6,333,789 times
I am from an Italian background. My Nana, first generation American, did not go with the culture and did not pierce my Mom's ears as a baby. Mom never pierced her's and wore screw or clip on earrings her entire life. Obviously, she did not pierce mine. As a teen, I too wore those screw/clip earrings. Know what? They HURT like H. My ears turned red from them. When I was 22, I got mine pierced. Wonderful just from the variety. Unless you wear HEAVY, dangling pierced earrings, studs or small hoops do not hurt, or stretch out the holes.

I did not pierce my own daughters ears as babies, but certainly gave my permission when they were teens and wanted them pierced.

Will the holes close up if not wearing earrings? My older daughter (lesbian) hadn't worn pierced earrings in maybe 10 or 15 years, but was still able after all that time for her sister's wedding.

My feeling on this in hindsight? I would have preferred to have my ears pierced as a baby rather than all the pain and trouble I went through as a teenager without it.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,168,351 times
Quote:
Heck, there's a guy over on Fashion & Beauty who is calling for high heeled shoes to be banned.
A guy is calling for high heels to be banned?!? Today must be opposite day.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:25 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,879,704 times
My husband was Italian. We got our first daughter's ears done at 16 months, the second at 6 months. The second one went smoother. And yes, it is a common practice. When I was younger a lot of parents had them done as newborns by doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events