Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,438,988 times

Advertisements

I only know what I've seen in New York City, and Las Vegas.......... I have never seen as fat people in England, or on holiday in various other countries. There is a place in Las Vegas called 'Heart Attack Grill.' Anyone over 350lbs eats free.

I say this knowing we have a growing obesity problem in England. But, as of yet, I don't see people here as fat as I see in America. Just give us time..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Answer: Europeans are hypocrites

Plenty of fat ones there and they all smoke like chimneys. Ironically the American ciggies are their favorite.
Well, these products are imported to them, which gives them a certain cool factor. Outside of some Southerners, Americans prefer imported alcohol. Gin, whiskey, scotch, wine, some beers, vodka.... What is the difference?

And not all Europeans smoke, but are you saying that all obese Europeans smoke like chimneys as if they were some sort of extras on Honey Boo-Boo? I mean, you basically described the stereotypical trailer park American.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Answer: Europeans are hypocrites

Plenty of fat ones there and they all smoke like chimneys. Ironically the American ciggies are their favorite.
There you go.........

Fewer than one in five people are still smokers: Rates fall below 20% for the first time in 80 years | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If the ideal weight for someone who is 5'8 if 175 lbs (made up numbers just for example), you could have a person in America be 280 lbs and a person in the UK be 190 lbs. We are both obese and would be flagged on this chart. Of course, the 280 lbs is MUCH worse than the person in the UK at 190lbs.

Statistics are funny like that. Numbers can always be directed to one particular point or another.
Actually, a person who is 5'8" tall is clinically overweight 11 pounds (unless bodybuilder) at 175 pounds with a bmi of 26. And a further weight gain of only 25 pounds, at 200 pounds, would throw them into the clinically obese category.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 AM

10,023 posts, read 8,658,947 times
So what is the skinny on the O B C T epidemic in the UK ?
Watching us eat and you want to make sure you guys get your share ?
I noticed India and China ain't on that list, just because India has respect for the cow doesn't mean they want to become one. The only fat guy China ever had was Buddha.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
So what is the skinny on the O B C T epidemic in the UK ?
Watching us eat and you want to make sure you guys get your share ?
I noticed India and China ain't on that list, just because India has respect for the cow doesn't mean they want to become one. The only fat guy China ever had was Buddha.
I think it's because we've put the cigarettes down, and picked up the pizza.........

Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I think it's because we've put the cigarettes down, and picked up the pizza.........
I think obesity has risen in our population because we have been told it is healthy to give up fat and instead have substituted low fat/high sugar crap food; no longer make homemade meals; and sit, sit, sit watching computers/TV instead of going outside to play.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:43 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,004,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Actually, a person who is 5'8" tall is clinically overweight 11 pounds (unless bodybuilder) at 175 pounds with a bmi of 26. And a further weight gain of only 25 pounds, at 200 pounds, would throw them into the clinically obese category.
I guess you missed the next few words where I said "(made up numbers just for example)," My point still stands.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:49 AM

520 posts, read 533,006 times
Most of Europe doesnt. I mean your own chart shows that. It looks like mainly English and German stock being affected.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I think obesity has risen in our population because we have been told it is healthy to give up fat and instead have substituted low fat/high sugar crap food; no longer make homemade meals; and sit, sit, sit watching computers/TV instead of going outside to play.
I think that is the case. When I was a kid, it was dinner eaten, then out to play for a while with friends. Running everywhere. At the same time our diet was high in fat. Plenty of french fries and meat puddings, fried fish, meat pies........ the list goes on. But, we were skinny kids.

Now in the evening, and it isn't getting dark till 10pm at the moment, the streets are empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events