Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 05:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,665,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Someone needs to make a convincing case for why we need to worry about species extinction.

Something better than "because".

BTW, the Chinese pangolin looks really cool. I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of one before.
I really hope you are joking. If not, you need to go educate yourself in ecology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,060,999 times
WHO | Biodiversity

Old 06-20-2015, 07:31 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,638 times
Oh geez. I have a serious case of global disaster fatigue. Not that these things might not be happening.. but good gawd... let the sun just swallow the stupid earth already..... !!

Old 06-20-2015, 10:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,903,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This observation is nothing new - it has been noted by professional biologists for a long time now.

American Museum of Natural History Press Release

Of course, the serial denialists - either those who philosophically despise science because it alleviates the need for relying on the supernatural 'explanations' for things that some denialists prefer (most notably the rabid anti-evolutionists), or those that just find specific scientific knowledge inconvenient (examples: those who denied a link between smoking and cancer, climate change denialists, etc.) - will sneer at this just as they sneer at every scientific discovery or observation they dislike.

Call me a serial denialist...your side is serial alarmists. I sneer at the alarmist POV. This is the 6th extinction? When do we go? Can't wait. Earth has been depleted of life how many times? It is not man's doing, nature gets tired of what is here and does spring cleaning. We come back to do it again.

A lot of those animals are going extinct not because of GW/CC but because some Asians believe tiger penis and rhino horn are aphrodesiacs or other stupid folk BS. The Japanese catch 1000s of sharks a day/week only to cut off their fins for soup. The pangolin is food for dumb asses. Eat more chicken, beef, fish and rice. The elephants are killed by people who want ivory and gorillas are killed by those who want the head, hands and feet for trophies/souvenirs. I don't know anyone who fits the narrative of killing animals for the stupid reasons I listed. The tiger penis and rhino horn mythology should be dealt with really, really harshly. And do remember it is not Americans who want the stuff.

I wish they would quit blaming this stuff on technology...these animals have been under attack since man first learned of them eons ago. It's the same with over fishing...blame it on those who over fish, not the cars we drive or oil we heat our houses with.

The religion of global gloom and doom is liberalism at it's finest. I hope the last human on Earth is a liberal so he/she can drown in their tears.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:37 PM

1,422 posts, read 952,846 times
What I think.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Someone needs to make a convincing case for why we need to worry about species extinction.

Something better than "because".

BTW, the Chinese pangolin looks really cool. I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of one before.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...b_3179348b.jpg
Can someone tell me what the hell that is in the top right corner of this pic??

Old 06-21-2015, 01:15 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,979,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Can someone tell me what the hell that is in the top right corner of this pic??
It looks like a man's kneecap? He is kneeling down and it's his right leg...I think?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:00 AM

505 posts, read 503,182 times
Unfortunately, it's going to take something enormously impactful like the collapse of a major (Western) city, or our global food system, before people take anything like a mass extinction seriously.

People are still skeptical of science, for some reason.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,175,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP article
“Without any significant doubt that we are now entering the sixth great mass extinction event," said Professor Paul Ehrlich, at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment.
Yeah ..... some of us old hippies remember Ehrlich, who
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
...... became well known for his controversial 1968 book The Population Bomb, which asserted that the world's human population would soon increase to the point where mass starvation ensued.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,909,045 times
Sure ... They couldn't sell us down the river with Global Warming, so now they come up with this.
I wonder what our illustrious politicians plan to gain in tax revenue, or regulation this time around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events